Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
good machine for free motion quilting >

good machine for free motion quilting

good machine for free motion quilting

Old 01-09-2012, 01:42 PM

You might should take this with a grain, but a dealer told me the 6600 was a more sturdy/hardy machine than the 7700 with better (stronger) components inside. Who knows, but I thought that was an interesting comment bc this was told to a couple looking to buy a machine for quilting and making bags. They re-directed them to the 6600 even though they were very interested in the Horizon.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
You might should take this with a grain, but a dealer told me the 6600 was a more sturdy/hardy machine than the 7700 with better (stronger) components inside. Who knows, but I thought that was an interesting comment bc this was told to a couple looking to buy a machine for quilting and making bags. They re-directed them to the 6600 even though they were very interested in the Horizon.
Interesting. First time I've heard this - must ask some questions if I go shopping! Thanks.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 PM

I know you're looking for other opinions, but I have the Janome Horizon 7700 and wouldn't trade it for the world. The 11" throat space is amazing, and with the acrylic extension table it makes larger quilts a breeze. I use my Horizon on my frame as well (with a few modifications) and she works well as a frame machine as well. (I added a Grace speed controller)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
I'm seriously thinking of getting the Brother PQ 1500s for free motion. I already have 6 other machines for piecing and the Brother PQ has a 9" throat. Allbrands has them for 599.00.
That's the machine I got for FMQ, purchased it for $600 from Ken's Sewing in Alabama, shipping was free. I love it and if I have a project where all I'm doing is sewing a long straight line, it does it in half the time! The Juki TL98Q is comparable. I got the Brother because I'm just partial to Brother machines.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
I know you're looking for other opinions, but I have the Janome Horizon 7700 and wouldn't trade it for the world. The 11" throat space is amazing, and with the acrylic extension table it makes larger quilts a breeze. I use my Horizon on my frame as well (with a few modifications) and she works well as a frame machine as well. (I added a Grace speed controller)
Thanks - I also want to hear that people love their Horizons!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
I've decided that I have to give up on my lemon of a machine and invest in a new one. I have a Featherweight and a 201 which will take care of piecing, so the focus is on FMQ, as this is where my current machine has failed most dismally. I'm considering a Janome 6600 or 7700 (the latter is the absolute top of my budget) and have had plenty of feedback on those. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has another currently available machine that has proved to be good for FMQ. A couple more pieces of info - Bernina is out of my price range, and I don't come across very many second hand machines, though I do look.
I have a Brother Nouvelle 1500s which is also marketed as PQ 1500 and I've seen the same machine as a Baby Lock and a Juki. Juki made them for the other companies, I think. It is the best machine I have for quilting. It is a straight stitcher only, has a 9" throat and a wide, flat bed with an extra extension table and the pressure on the foot is adjustable. You can also buy an embellishing attachment to fit the machine. The stitch is very nice. I suggest you have a look at it.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:51 AM

I have a Baby Lock Quest and Viking Sapphire, both are EXCELLENT for FMQ.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:58 AM

I just bought a juki yesterday and can't hardly wait to play. bought it from a lady who only used it 2x and had surgery and doesn't use it anymore. orginal price on reciept was 1399 and I paid 350 and very happy with the purchase. alot of the stuff was still in the package so was like getting it new and opening everything up.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 AM

I have the BabyLock Seranade for FMQ. I have been really pleased with it. I also have the Viking Designer 1 which is an older machine. Both do great with free motion quilting. One of the reasons I bought the Baby Lock is because it has a larger bed on the machine to manuever the quilt easier. Another choice is the Viking Sapphire which has a larger bed too. Both the Sapphire and Babylock are in the $1000 to $1200 range in the US.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 AM

I've just arranged to go and test drive the Horizon next week, while it's still on offer. In the meantime, I'm going to try the 6600, and also visit the Pfaff/Husqvarna dealer. And keep working at FMQ on my 201, in case that can solve my problem without further expense.