Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
entrance Fee's for GUILD shows! >

entrance Fee's for GUILD shows!

entrance Fee's for GUILD shows!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:11 PM

I have been the treasurer for my home quild when we had a Quilt Show. Believe me it costs a LOT of money if you are having a juried show. The facility cost tons of money, as well as the frames to hang the quilts on, judges, their travel fees, paying the winners, extention cords. A sucessful quilt show is when we come out even. There is no way we could charge 5 dollars. I believe we charged 7 dollars last time.

Last edited by Quilterfay; 01-14-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:15 PM

I don't drink or smoke so I gladly pay the fee for quilt shows as my contribution back to the quilting community. Quilting is my passion and pleasure. The ability to see others work first hand, check out new supplies and meet others is a wonderful thing. I take away more than the entrance fee in knowledge and fun.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I guess I look at the guild shows a little different. Is it worth $10 to me to get out of the house for a few hours, away from the kids and dishes and laundry, be by myself or maybe hang with a girlfriend, and look at pretty quilts and fabric? Most of the shows in my area are good shows, and I have a hard enough time finding things to "nurture myself" with.
Here, here!! My sentiments exactly!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Quilts are piled flat on a bed and a knowledgeable person talks about each one. When done with the top one, she turns the top edge of that quilt to the foot of the bed, exposing the next one and talks about that one (top quilt to bottom quilt). ......
Oh I get it now. Thank you for the explanation.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Is it a judged show??? The guild (s) putting on the show must paid for the room for the quilts, rooms for the vendors, the set-up, rental for three or four days, the clean-up. Judge with time and travel, ribbons, tables, chairs, etc. etc. Printing of publicity items, tickets, and programs. Advertising (our local county wants $100 for an advertisement in the "County Register". This is why it is anywhere from $2 to $15 for admission. Our show had to go from $5.00 to $7.00 this year.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:32 PM

I think $5 may be reasonable, especially if there is a speaker and at least several vendors. $10 sounds steep, but it depends what you get for the $$.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:20 PM

the last 3 shows that i went to were $14 each. they were large shows with over 100 venders and hundreds of quilts, many national winners. the rent prices for the organizers and the venders are through the roof and you get almost nothing for free. refreshments are quite expensive for what garbage they are (terrible hot dogs or worse hamburgers).
what you do get for nothing is demos, lessons and small seminars by venders, no one famous. after all, these are free.
you can buy, for $$$$, is classes and professional seminars, some lasting up to 3 days. the bracelet that you get on paying allows you to get in every day of the show, usually thursday through sunday. guilds and other groups come from all over by chartered buses to attend and have made reservations at local hotels. you get pushed ans hoved every time you turn around. if any of you have seen the photos that i post after i go to a show, i can tell you that each pic has taken many minutes of waiting for people to stop chatting about their new furniture right in front of a quilt even though they know someone is waiting. the bathrooms are dirty and by day 2, half the toilets don't flush, so the lines are long and they have to let the women use the men's rooms. you can't get near the venders due to the crowds pushing you along or standing around the more popular ones. whoever says that quilters are the nicest people obviously has not gone to a major show.

right, karen?

i would absolutely spend $5 to see a good, small show and not get squashed like an egg.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:35 PM

What would you pay to see a movie? Certainly worth more than the admission to a 2 1/2 hour movie.........and think of all the incentive, motivation, ideas, etc., that you take home with you!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:05 PM

I think $5 is just fine. People are more likely to be chased from attending a guild show because of the distance and cost of gas than a nominal entrance fee that pays for the rental of the facility. It costs me $52 to visit my sister and she is just 100 miles away (and has no cover charge, even feeds me).
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I think you may be talking about a different type of entrance fee. You're talking about a fee to enter an item in the show and we're talking about the fee the public pays to enter the building.
Ahhhhh.... I confused "entrance" with "admission."