Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help me see this from another perspective, please >

help me see this from another perspective, please

help me see this from another perspective, please

Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by star619 View Post
I really suspect that somewhere in the organizational structure ( staffed by volunteers), there is a glitch. It is probably is all they can do to deal with government/organizational guidelines, uneven staffing, and assorted headaches that come from good intentions with limited resources.
The OP has informed me (by PM) that this "organization" consists of one single solitary woman all by herself. All the more reason to be more forgiving in this case.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Dear NYCQuilter,
My BIG question is WHY should you have to send a SASE, POST CARD, NOTE W/REQUEST FOR confirmation, etc.......
When you have been helping this organization. Each so called NON PROF (I have worked for a few), do have paid staff. Most of the time they also have Volin., both in house and out (as your self). But they also have a PAID staff who have time to send a note, call or even get one of the in house non-paid staff to do this.
My personal feeling is if they play this fast with gifts for others, then it is time to move on to an organization that knows that they would not have a job if they didn't have people like you (and others).
When I started working in Non Prof., I couldn't belive all the things paid staff had non paid staff doing for them. In house non paid staff got a "Thank You" party once a year, but nobody thought about the people off site.
I am with others on this site, time to find a NEW organization.
Sorry you had this problem, you will find a new group that will love your gifts and you as much as you care for them.
Snooks
Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 AM

I would find a new charity to donate to. Have we FORGOTTEN common courtesies??
Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 AM

if you google the 'bumblebeans' blog, you'll find that the blogger is pleading for large and small quilts to be made. she collects them and dispenses them to people in need in New York City. it's nice to know that urban people in need are not being forgotten.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM

I can't imagine anyone sending quilts uninsured and without a return signed receipt.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
. . . Don't let the rudeness of others muddy your kind heart.
That is so well put. I personally would have difficulty sending another quilt to someone/someplace that had not acknowledged receiving an initial donation. I work as a volunteer and donate quilts. I can appreciate the efforts of the volunteers, but also know that there are volunteers who can use the computer to kick out standard thank you notes that can be used as receipts if needed. It doesn't take long and certainly means a lot to the donors. Can't imagine not acknowledging a donation without insulting the donor.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 PM

I am sorry that this has been a difficult issue for you. I think you both get a wash and agree with Pauline, there is responsibility to go around.

DH and I have been having deep conversations about many things lately. In the big picture of the world there are so many more things to be upset about than the small perceived slights that we see and feel. Try to remember the reason that you are sending the quilts in the first place, to do something helpful for someone in need.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

If you were worried whether the quilts got there or not, then yes - a valid concern. I would want to know too. But you did get an email back with an apology, so you do know that the package got there.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:26 PM

One of my older brothers told me, once upon a time, that he didn't mind buying or doing for others but he at least expected a "thank you". I was about 14 at the time and that always stuck with me. Now I feel the same way. When you "do" for others you do so out of the kindness of your heart. I don't expect a ticker-tape parade, but an acknowledgement is very much appreciated.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:29 PM

I am sponsering a team for the Relay for Life held by the American Cancer Society in my local town of DeBary, FL this May, trust me when I say if someone had gone through the trouble of making a quilt for donation I would have sent a thank you note, posted a picture of the quilt with the quilters name on my teams webpage and made sure that the person that won the quilt had all the same info. Your gift was from the heart and deserves a special note, you are making a difference in someones life, it could be a sister, a mother a friend or a stranger but that person does thank you if not the organzation that youv'e sent it to. Bless You!