Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help me see this from another perspective, please >

help me see this from another perspective, please

help me see this from another perspective, please

Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 AM

Default help me see this from another perspective, please

OK, here's the story, the longer version. I send large charity quilts to an organization in TN. I promised one in October and it took forever for me to get to the USPS. So, to "apologize" I whipped up a second quilt and sent both on. IMHO, they were really pretty, well-made and imbued with love quilts. I never heard back from the woman about whether they were received. So I had to email her. they were received and she apologized for forgetting to email me. Am I viewing this wrongly? I was upset that I took the time to get her the quilts and send them which wasn't totally cheap and she "forgot"? I know and keep trying to remind myself the purpose is not for the thanks but for the gifting. am I wrong to be upset? And,what should I do? I liked that the quilts were going to adults and not children (though I do gift my local LINUS as well) but I really don't want to send anymore to this organization. It is not the first time I've had to follow up about the quilts arriving.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Banned

Everyone will no doubt tell you the joy is in the giving
Not I
Say a mental goodbye and find a better organization.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:02 AM

I can understand how you feel. In the future why don't you add Delivery Confirmation to your package so you know that it was delivered. Or, you can place a note in the box attached to the quilts thats asks the recipient to email you once they have received the quilts.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:08 AM

You shouldn't have to remind them to acknowledge having received your quilts...find a new charity to donate your quilts...
Old 01-17-2012, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
I can understand how you feel. In the future why don't you add Delivery Confirmation to your package so you know that it was delivered. Or, you can place a note in the box attached to the quilts thats asks the recipient to email you once they have received the quilts.
Or, better yet, how about a stamped and addressed postcard that she can just stick in the mail? That way she wouldn't have to go to her computer and email you. She can just toss the postcard in the outgoing mail.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Banned

The very basic is to acknowledge they received the quilts. We all forget. I often tell myself that I will reply tomorrow and then get involved with other things. However, hand made quilts are another thing. There is considerable value and time. I was involved in a situation recently when we wanted an organization to be thanked for a donation and the receiptant said to send a stamped self addressed envelop and they would acknowledge the gift. Needless to say they won't get anything else. Suggestions to provide confirmation thru PO is a good one.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:12 AM

oooh, great idea.

Originally Posted by qbquilts View Post
Or, better yet, how about a stamped and addressed postcard that she can just stick in the mail? That way she wouldn't have to go to her computer and email you. She can just toss the postcard in the outgoing mail.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 AM

Some different perspectives.....well, I don't know who the organization is but it could be that they are just slammed with work right now and it just isn't practical for them to stop and email every person that sends in a donation. Charity groups usually aren't exactly overstaffed, you know?

Also you commented that you were upset that you took the time to get to the post office and get them there. Is that not part of what you committed to do back in October? You were slow in meeting your commitment so maybe cut them some slack that they may have been running slow in responses?

Also consider if you truly just wanted to know if they arrived or if you really wanted some gratitude. Of if you wanted a formal thank you just as a matter of etiquette. There is no "wrong" answer.

Not saying I agree with any of the above necessarily but you asked from some different perspectives. I would recommend just trying to accept that they are probably over worked and if they have a lot of donations coming in right now I don't it should be a mark against them that they aren't sending out emails to every person who donates when something is received. And remember that no matter what, you are helping someone in need, gifting someone in need. Minor foibles in the organization don't change your good acts.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

You put so much into those quilts, you shouldn't have to send a stamped self addressed envelope to them. They should have some class and write a thank you note right away. You can do delivery confirmation, but that doesn't tell you that they appreciate the gifts. They should tell you themselves. A handmade (machine sewed included) quilt deserves recognition immediately. I've had to call people and ask them if they have received their quilts, just to get a thank you or a "I love it" from them. Times have changed. We know the value of our quilts. It seems that other people should know the value of our quilts. One look at them and they have to know we put ourselves into them. I would send my quilts elsewhere, where they are appreciated immediately.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 AM

Paulina, I wasn't upset that I had to go to the Post Office. I was upset at me that it took me so long! So I added a second quilt as an apology. My concern is that the quilts might have been lost. I don't need kudos about wonderful quilts, gorgeous work, yada yada. I wanted only to know the quilts arrived safely. Gratitude was not what I was seeking. I truly believe that I must give back because my life is good. So my way of giving gratitude is to share and pass on. I was worried that I hadn't heard from her and the box was lost. I had sent them with tracking, but by the time I realized I had not heard, I was on vacation in Spain visiting my daughter and didn't have access to the tracking numbers.