Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help me see this from another perspective, please >

help me see this from another perspective, please

help me see this from another perspective, please

Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 AM

I totally agree with you. Again, I was just playing devil's advocate offering other perspectives.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Okay, if you send a box of chocolates and don't get a thankyou, than no biggy. But 2 quilts? I don't blame you for being miffed, a lot of time effort and money goes into a quilt. Maybe the person receiving them is not a quilter. A quilter would have understood that you would be waiting for confirmation that they had arrived safely.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 AM

Having spent my whole working life in non-profits, I agree with everything paulina said, and add one more thing to consider. Funding has been drastically reduced to almost all charity organizations nationwide and perhaps this one has had to lay off staff. Maybe they no longer have the person who was responsible for donation acknowledgement and haven't fully adapted to fill that void yet.

Since you did send the package with tracking info and then failed to actually use that info to follow up as soon as it was apparent they should have been received, you have only yourself to blame for any worry you went through. Yes, the organization should say 'thank you' for your donation (and in fact should be sending written receipts for all donations for the donors tax returns), that's NPO 101, but their given reason is no less flakey than the one you gave for not meeting the promised deadline.

Last edited by ghostrider; 01-17-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 AM

I honestly forget to do that all the time... right now I just chalk it up to pregnancy brain! I know everyone likes to know when you get their stuff but sometimes things get in the way and time doesn't allow you to and then you forget. I know I get stuff for the Quilt guild all the time and do that.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 AM

I would find a new charity. I recently heard of someone making quilts for elderly people in homes. A lot of them rarely have anyone to visit and these quilts really remind them of home and love.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 AM

If it is a worthwhile charity that you have enjoyed making quilts for, I say continue. You don't
want to quit donating quilts because 1 person dropped the ball in responding.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 AM

I understand completely. Several years ago I donated several baby quilts, 8 zippered baby sleepers (with cute appliques), and a quilted baby bunting. I enclosed a note that said I could make the sleepers in different sizes, if they would let me know what sizes were most needed. When I didn't hear anything back, I wrote a letter asking if the packages had been received, and enclosed a self-addressed stamped envelope. Still didn't get a response.

I wasn't looking for an outpouring of gratitude, but if they had simply written thanks, we received the boxes, I would still be sewing for them. As it was, I found another charity. It's just human nature to need some acknowledgment.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 AM

Well, the most important thing here is that there are those who recieve these quilts that probably have little or nothing and their gratitude to you for making them a quilt is great, though you can't hear or see their joy. So for that alone, please do not give up doing this wonderful thing. Please do as qbquilts and pinkberrykay have suggested and slip a self addressed and stamped postcard of confirmation of the receipt of the quilts into the package so that all that needs to be done is for them to slip the card into the outgoing mail. This is the best idea and will solve the problem and everyone will be happy. You are happy while making the quilts and they who receive them will be happy that you did make them!!!
Let's not forget that the real reason for all of this is that people are enjoying your work and though it is important to know if they received them, the most important thing is you have made so many unfortunate people happy. Don't stop for the sake of a confirmation. Just make the confirmation easy.

Last edited by majormom; 01-17-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 AM

I have a question. When an organization recieves a quilt don't they have to keep a record of recieving them? Do they record who sent them? Can a computer on its own be programed to send out a notice of recipt? Like when you order something on line you get an e-mail saying your order has been recieved? I dom't know a lot about the computer but it seams they can do anything but tap dance.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM

I also make charity quilts and when I drop them off, they ask me to fill out paperwork for basic address info and what it was that I donated. In a couple weeks, I receive a form letter thanking me for the donation. The last time I dropped off 4 baby quilts I told them that I really didn't need the acknowledgment, just seeing the happiness in their faces was enough for me. I know that this probably isn't enough for most of you, but you have to remember just how busy these organizations can get. I've seen these wonderful volunteers sorting through a mountain of boxes of donated toys/games/blankets/quilts and wished I lived closer so that I could donate some of my time. For them to take the time to write thank-you's to each person is asking quite a bit. You have to remember why you are donating --- to provide quilts for children/adults/elderly who need them.