Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help me see this from another perspective, please >

help me see this from another perspective, please

help me see this from another perspective, please

Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM

nycquilter, find another charity. That's what I did. I head up a large group of women that truly give from their hearts. We all make our own personal sacrificies to do this. We hand deliver these, but when told in a less than kindly tone to just put it on the floor out of their way, was enough for me. It was clear they receive waaaay to many donations to care on any level any more. I feel responceable to account to these very giving women. I have teenagers, I know how to pick my battles. I found us new charities. All is now good!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Won't apologize for my answer but if it were me, I would find an organization much closer to home. Especially locally. As in, driving to deliver to a local hospital or a shelter. Humane Societies are forever grateful. When you get burned emotionally, you learn not to touch...
Old 01-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
Everyone will no doubt tell you the joy is in the giving
Not I
Say a mental goodbye and find a better organization.
Well I agree here. find another place who will at least say thanks which is what you deserve.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I have a question. When an organization recieves a quilt don't they have to keep a record of recieving them? Do they record who sent them? Can a computer on its own be programed to send out a notice of recipt? Like when you order something on line you get an e-mail saying your order has been recieved? I don't know a lot about the computer but it seams they can do anything but tap dance.
You are so right Gramie bj, but I have to tell you my laptop can also tap dance, LOL
Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 AM

Sounds like the organization needs some reorganizing. They should have emailed or sent you a note that your quilts were received.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
Paulina, I wasn't upset that I had to go to the Post Office. I was upset at me that it took me so long! So I added a second quilt as an apology. My concern is that the quilts might have been lost. I don't need kudos about wonderful quilts, gorgeous work, yada yada. I wanted only to know the quilts arrived safely. Gratitude was not what I was seeking. I truly believe that I must give back because my life is good. So my way of giving gratitude is to share and pass on. I was worried that I hadn't heard from her and the box was lost. I had sent them with tracking, but by the time I realized I had not heard, I was on vacation in Spain visiting my daughter and didn't have access to the tracking numbers.
Maybe we have a post office employee on the board to verify - but the PO in my town told me that they delivery confirmation only confirms that the package was received at the recipient's PO, not delivered to the recipient. Does anybody know if this is true?

Cathy
Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 AM

Are there no local organizations that need your quilts? That way you'd not have to mail them.

I agree that a thank you should have been extended.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I have a question. When an organization recieves a quilt don't they have to keep a record of recieving them? Do they record who sent them? Can a computer on its own be programed to send out a notice of recipt? Like when you order something on line you get an e-mail saying your order has been recieved? I dom't know a lot about the computer but it seams they can do anything but tap dance.
I can't speak for the organization in question, but from an accounting standpoint, yes, they have to keep records of in-kind donations (though some don't) and, no, they do not have to keep track of names (though many do). They do, however, have to provide a written receipt to the donor, if asked, so that the donation can be claimed on their taxes. As for an auto-reply, that would only work if your donation went through the computer like an online order does...not possible for a mailed quilt.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Maybe we have a post office employee on the board to verify - but the PO in my town told me that they delivery confirmation only confirms that the package was received at the recipient's PO, not delivered to the recipient. Does anybody know if this is true?

Cathy
When I worked for the PO confirmation was when it was delivered to the address/addressee (with or without signature depending on what level of service was paid for). This, of course, works better when it is going to a private residence, if it is a business it is usually part of a large delivery, can be in bins or bags ... unless it needs a signature, and then the Mail Person should have those separated and be able to match each signature slip with the correct package.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:24 PM

You're not really asking for a "thank you" you're asking for acknowledgement that a package was received. Should be a given in an organization working from donations.

I used to send quilts to an organization that gave quilts to children. Until they put out a picture asking for volunteers to get the quilts to the kids and showed a picture of a storeroom with HUNDREDS of quilts. Wow. I work two jobs and felt so good making those quilts. Did not expect them to sit in a storeroom. (I don't live close enough to have helped with distribution.) Figured that charity had done will with letting people know the need and had many people sewing for them. I'm now making small quilts for a local family who are just getting started in foster care. My goal is to keep them supplied with a couple of quilts so that each child gets one to keep - and gets to choose which one they want - even if it's just "this one" or "that one"! We want to give - we each just need to find the right fit for the giving.