Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help me see this from another perspective, please >

help me see this from another perspective, please

help me see this from another perspective, please

Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM

I recently had a cookie exchange at my home and brought a tray of cookies to our local hospice center, within 2 days a recieved a beautiful thank you, if a small gester deserves a big thanks, than yours definately did
Old 01-18-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Maybe we have a post office employee on the board to verify - but the PO in my town told me that they delivery confirmation only confirms that the package was received at the recipient's PO, not delivered to the recipient. Does anybody know if this is true?

Cathy
Delivery confirmation/return receipt requested has a postcard affixed to the package that must be signed by the recipient and postal service sends it back to sender.
info from USPS.com:
Certified Mail™ service
Find out when your item was delivered or delivery was attempted. Requires the signature of the recipient.
Notes •Only available at your Post Office. •Combine with a Return Receipt to see the signature of the person who accepts the package. Priority Mail, First-Class Mail $2.85

Return Receipt
Get proof an item was delivered with a postcard or email showing the recipient’s signature.
Notes •Only available at your Post Office.
Express Mail (postcard only), Priority Mail*, First-Class Mail*, Parcel Post*, Media Mail*
*When purchased with one of these Extra Services: Insurance over $200, COD, Certified Mail, Registered Mail.
$2.30 for mail receipt, $1.15 for email receipt

Return Receipt for Merchandise
Get proof that you sent an item and proof it was delivered. You’ll get a postcard showing the recipient’s signature.
Notes •Only available at your Post Office. •Contents must be merchandise.
Priority Mail, Parcel Post, Media Mail
$3.85
Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 PM

I would want confirmation that the quilts had gotten there with a thanks.
There are so many wonderful organizations who need quilts for adults, perhaps taking turns with who gets your quilts, kind of a rotation of organizations? I can see that the group could have been back logged and just did not have time to send a thanks or lacked people to send them, but I feel it still needs to be done. Wonderful to hear about your commitment to giving, love it!! :^)
Old 01-18-2012, 03:36 PM

Default My perspective

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Having spent my whole working life in non-profits, I agree with everything paulina said, and add one more thing to consider. Funding has been drastically reduced to almost all charity organizations nationwide and perhaps this one has had to lay off staff. Maybe they no longer have the person who was responsible for donation acknowledgement and haven't fully adapted to fill that void yet.

Since you did send the package with tracking info and then failed to actually use that info to follow up as soon as it was apparent they should have been received, you have only yourself to blame for any worry you went through. Yes, the organization should say 'thank you' for your donation (and in fact should be sending written receipts for all donations for the donors tax returns), that's NPO 101, but their given reason is no less flakey than the one you gave for not meeting the promised deadline.
I recently sent a package through the USPS with delivery confirmation. This did not insure that the package was correctly delivered. The web site showed the package as "delivered" however, the intended recipient did not get the package. Only through my persistent efforts and a complaint filled with the post office, was the package located and delivered to the intended recipient. I would reasonably expect some sort of notification from the charity organization that my quilts had indeed reached the intended organization.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
Paulina, I wasn't upset that I had to go to the Post Office. I was upset at me that it took me so long! So I added a second quilt as an apology. My concern is that the quilts might have been lost. I don't need kudos about wonderful quilts, gorgeous work, yada yada. I wanted only to know the quilts arrived safely. Gratitude was not what I was seeking. I truly believe that I must give back because my life is good. So my way of giving gratitude is to share and pass on. I was worried that I hadn't heard from her and the box was lost. I had sent them with tracking, but by the time I realized I had not heard, I was on vacation in Spain visiting my daughter and didn't have access to the tracking numbers.

It sounds like that delivery confirmation is the way to go.
I understand your anxiety about the quilts arriving safely as I'm the same when I post quilts.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM

I made pillowcases for smiles for a large childrens hospital in Louisville,ky. I washed, no raw edges or seams, folded and sealed each pillowcaes as instrusted, and mailed at my expense. No reply of any kind. Not a thank you, don't make any more or anything. I have not sent anymore.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 PM

I agree. So many people are in need yet so few offer to help the cause. You know you are doing a good thing so just send with delivery conformation that way you know they were not lost in the mail. Consider your self lucky that you can aford to buy material to make the quilts.So many people out of work and on food stamps it must be awful hard for them. Keep up the good work. Sure some one up there is watching and thanking you for all the people you help.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Maybe we have a post office employee on the board to verify - but the PO in my town told me that they delivery confirmation only confirms that the package was received at the recipient's PO, not delivered to the recipient. Does anybody know if this is true?

Cathy

My Post Office scans delivery confirmation when the package is delivered to them. They scan it again when it is delivered to the customer. My Post Office also has holding boxes. Packages are scaned delivered, placed in a holding box and the key to the box is place in the P.O. Box of the recipient. This allows individuals to come in anytime night or day get their mail from their box along with the key to the holding box. They use the key to open the holding box, remove the package and the key stays in the lock until the next time it is used. However, we are a very small town Post Office that gives extra little services, like calling box holders when packages they are expecting are received. Post Offices are like any other business, they are only as good as their employees.

As for the charity, it appears rudeness is not limited to individuals, it is also alive and well in organizations that rely on the kindness of others. My first year in a quilt guild. A Hospice representative contacted our Extension Agent to see if we would be interested in making lap quilts for their patients. They had donated fabric, but needed someone to make quilt tops. We jumped at the opportunity. Our little 10 member quild made about 45 lap quilts. I made my quilt top, gave it to the Extension Agent and did not give it another thought. A month later, I received the nicest letter from the Hospice Representative thanking me for the lap quilt top and letting me know it had been quilted by another volunteer and given to a Hospice patient who was enjoying using it.

I seldom expect a thank you for something donated. But on those rare occasions when I get one, those are the charities that I donate to repeatedly. If they take the time to make an effort to say thank you, then I can certainly find the time if another request is made. It is such a simple gesture and it takes so little time to thank someone, but it benefis so many.

Disclosure: This is just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 PM
RDM

I would be pro-active and mention to this group or person that their no reply confirming receipt of your quilts has happened twice which causes you to question whether to support them in the future. How they respond to your concerns will tell you whether they take it to heart or not. That said, don't stop giving from your heart, but if need be,find an organization that works better with you.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:57 PM

I would also find another place to donate, there are so many in need. Check out your local VA hospital, the vets are so great and the need is there