Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 01-20-2012, 01:14 PM

I too have problems letting the pattern soak into my head sometimes. While I quilt to free my mind and let go of the days stresses, sometimes they stay there right at the back of my conscious and refuse to let me fully concentrate on what I want to do.When that happens I just give up for the day or longer. I may go two weeks and never even think about it, just because life gets in the way. I have been an artist all my life, and I learned long ago that if the creative juices are not flowing, I have to walk away until I can get my mind clear enough to try again. Creativity is something that happens only when you have cleared the mind of all else and are completely in the moment. Sometimes my life is so crazy that it is months before I can clear my head and create! it sounds like everyone here has been there at some point or another. Just hang in there and you will know when everything lines up just right!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:29 PM

I get frustrated and discouraged at times too. But, I do enjoy quilting and sewing so I know I won't give it up. I just step back and do a small project (small wall hanging, tote, purse, accessories, whatever) till I get my quilting mojo going again.

As for discouraged about figuring the patterns out, I have the same problem. So, when I can't understand a pattern, I do my best to follow along but usually end up adapting to my own version of the pattern. My quilting buddy says I always have to "make it a little different" to make it my own.....where in reality it's just that I don't understand the instructions.

When I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, my doctor said my brain doesn't process information the same way anymore so I've learned to adapt.

If you need help "figuring" out a pattern, feel free to email me off-list and I'll try to help out. Not being able to follow patterns is very frustrating so I feel your discouragement and want to help.

Hang in there !!!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:31 PM

Craftsy has a free class on Block of the Month, easy ones, start again and enjoy. You don't have to do difficult patterns, enjoy the more simple ones till you get your confidence. Don't give up, just look at it differently.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 PM

Do you belong to a Guild or a Bee? I would never have completed the projects or enjoyed myself so much if it weren't for my wonderful Bee. The ladies are supportive and encouraging. I am fairly new to quilting and being part of the Guild attending monthly meetings to see what others are doing and listening to speakers who are enthusiastic about the craft just adds to my confidence. The ladies in the Bee meet weekly and we plan monthly trips usually a shop-hop with a nice lunch. There are also Bees that meet evenings and Saturdays. Every Bee has it's own personality and the most important thing, is that they all love quilting and want to share thier enthusiasm. good luck!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:46 PM

I haven't been brave enough to give a UFO to the good will, but you are so right, Life is too short - do what you like. About quilting "blues", we all get them in varying stages and for me they last different lengths of time. Just recently I have decided to have 3 or 4 or 5 different works in progress (wip), and it helps keep me interested. Some times the quilting blues keep me away for a month or so, but recently with so many projects going that I really like each day is different. I still haven't gotten to "like" pressing, so I do it in bulk, all the projects get pressed at the same time. I know I should sew and press, but gee, I really Hate pressing.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If a project no longer interests me it goes to either the UFO pile(want to finish later) on the Goodwill pile (someone else can finish it because I never want to see it again) Life is short, do what you love!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jacque View Post
The past few months I have had trouble figuring out my quilt patterns. I don't know why but it is causing me a lot of discouraged moments. I, almost, feel like quitting quilting but I have so much involved in it with fabric and a new machine that isn't a good idea either. Does anyone else get discouraged? What do you do about it?
Maybe just shut the door (if you have a sewing room) or pack it all away out of sight--Take a Break!! Do something unrelated to quilting for a week or two then come back with a new outlook on quilting. I've been in a rut once or twice and found taking the pressure off works well for me. Hope this helps you.
I also find if I'm not fond of the piece I'm working on it's hard to be motivated and I will make mistakes.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 PM

When I first started quilting, I was over 50 years old, no, maybe I was almost 60 years old. I had sewed clothes and everything else, but not pieced a quilt. I just could not cut the darn fabric and could not sew that 'scant 1/4 inch'. Every strip I cut had that darn 'V' in it and I ripped constantly because the blocks were wonky and not the right size. It was very discouraging to me and I was really embarrassed that I couldn't do such a simple thing. I would suggest you take the quilt pattern to someone to help you figure it out. I have had many problems with reading a quilt pattern or any pattern and have to ask for help. There is nothing wrong with that, sometimes the quilt directions are wrong ! Ask how many people have had problems making the bo-tuck purse that so many here on the board have made and you will be shocked. I never did get the directions about putting in the pockets, my DH and I swear the directions are wrong, they don't add up. You are not alone with having problems time to time. Hang in there !
Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 PM

Maybe this will help you:
End of November I was not discouraged, but my brain was tired, stresses from dealing with challenging designs.
So I stepped back for a rest and did fun creative things that sprang from my own mind, using the skills I already had conquered. So I kept quilting, but on a simpler level. It has helped, as my brain is now ready for action!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the ideas
Old 01-20-2012, 07:58 PM

I have never been discouraged with it. However, I do interject it with other craft activities. I have made the coilbowls, and now I am working on the bowls that Nancy Zieman had on her show which were cut froma template. I have made a quilted jacket and now working on my second. This variety of activities keeps me interested and I learn a trick or two from each. Perhaps you will be less discouraged if you try a variety? You don't sound like you have given it up yet, so see if this revitalises the spark. All the best.