Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

When this happens to me, I just start working on some short projects like Mug Rugs, pot holders, cosmetic bags, and table toppers. Have you thought about locating someone else that does quilting? To me, having a "quilting buddy" has been a life saver. Or, joining a quilt guild where you can ask for help if you need it. Don't quit, it can be so rewarding.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 PM

Take a break and then try again. I am left-handed and dyslexic so patterns give me fits. I tend to go with simpler patterns, but even then I have trouble sometimes. I know which patterns I cannot do, so I don't even attempt them. Finally, sometimes a light bulb will go on in my head and I know what I am doing wrong. It helps to have someone to share your thoughts/frustrations with. Hope you have such a person in your life.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM

i have been in a rut like that and you need to take a break browse thru some quilt patterns till you find one that excites you and then go for it
Old 01-20-2012, 11:15 PM

I know why I get discouraged, DH is after me all the time to get going on my fabric. I am a person that has to step back and look at every thing 4 times before I start.LOL
Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If a project no longer interests me it goes to either the UFO pile(want to finish later) on the Goodwill pile (someone else can finish it because I never want to see it again) Life is short, do what you love!
When ever you have this problem send it my way for charity. I love finishing quilts and then giving them to charity. A good way to finish a UFO.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jacque View Post
The past few months I have had trouble figuring out my quilt patterns. I don't know why but it is causing me a lot of discouraged moments. I, almost, feel like quitting quilting but I have so much involved in it with fabric and a new machine that isn't a good idea either. Does anyone else get discouraged? What do you do about it?
NOT having problems with quilt patterns, but somehow over the years I've lost my ability to figure out logic puzzles. I never was an expert, but in the past, given time I could figure out most. Somewhere along the line my brain fuse has blown that let me read between the lines which is vital to logic puzzles.

Age I guess. No other easy to see change.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:20 AM

Oh, I do know how you feel! I have several "addictions" (quilting/reading/knitting/etc.) I used to think this was a bad thing, but now I'm grateful for it. If I get stuck or bored with one, I switch up and do something else. This gives your creative spirit a chace to "breathe" and one day you'll suddenly be moved to return to the project. What is it they say..."Life is short, eat dessert first!".
Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 AM

STOP!!!!! Take a breath!!!! Now do something NICE fo YOU!!! Have a cup of tea with an old friend, meet for lunch with the girls, but just make it FUN time. When you feel under controll, then pice out an EASY FAST pattern to sew (doesn't have to be a quilt, could be a dress, mug rug, etc.....). Remember you are doing it for fun. I have been known to put my quilting down for a couple of months. Then when I come back to it every thing is fresh and new with my new eyes, mind and heart. Also remember WE are here for you.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 AM

I put my quilting stuff away and start knitting. I love to knit. Right now, I'm at the disgusted phase with UFO's and too much "stuff" around. And I don't have a large stash. I just don't like clutter and it really pressures me. I have put my kitted up projects in a bin and taken them to the basement for a while. I'll haul them out again when the spirit moves me. I have one UFO up here to finish...I'll concentrate on that for now. I hate feeling overwhelmed!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:04 AM

Every so often I get what I called "quilted out" and swear off quilting or fabrics or anything to do with the sewing room a for several weeks or more. I work in the garden or write for my writer's group or paint pictures for awhile and regain the desire to quilt. It has always returned eventually. Then when I enjoy it that's fine. Remember it's not a job we have to do. It is a hobby for fun.