Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 01-21-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rhueluna View Post
What is happening to handwork? All we see now at quilt shows is machine work. I am keeping up the best I can to show handwork as the way to go. But I know the big machine makers are pushing for machine work to sell their goods. I love the intricate designs they make on the heavily machine quilted quilts and think its a real work of art. But to take a hand pieced old fabric quilt top and hit it with a bunch of loops on a machine breaks my heart. Each way has its own field. I wished someone would put handwork areas of the quilt shows to show off the hard work we hand quilters do. Here are a few of my hand quilted items I hope you like. I wonder what others have to say about it. I know when I talk to other hand quilters, they feel the same way and we are not noticed for the hard work. Keep up the good work all you hand quilters. And keep up the great art of the small machine designs that are so beautiful. But the whip em out big loops don't do a thing for me. I wonder what you all think.
Your piecing and quilting are stunning. I, too, only hand quilt, but I do not applique or hand piece. All my piecing is done by my simple straight stitch machine. I think hand quilting is a lost art. I do it because I enjoy it. I think it enhances the flavor of a quilt, its true message. Also I cannot afford to send it to a machine quilter! Keep up the good, beautiful work.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:32 PM

hand quilting to me makes the quilt. Not saying that machine quilting is not beautiful in its own way but to snuggle up in an old hand quilted quilt is pure haven to me.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Banned

My MIL hand quilts and I admire her work! Your work is exquisit! But I am a machine quilter and it is simply a different type of art for me.
I adore your quilts, they are beautiful heirlooms. But like many have said, people don't seem to care for thier things they way they used to and I would be terrified of putting all that time into hand quilting to have someone not care for it the way it should be cared for. The hand quilted ones that I have from my MIL are displayed and takne great care of, but not all her family members understand the work that is put inot every stitch.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM

What came to my mind looking at your quilts is ART....you haven't created quilts, you've put together pieces of art. Several are very folk art (I thought of the old tramp art pieces when I viewed a couple of your quilts, which I absolutely adore & could never afford), and I am in awe. You're an artist.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Your handwork is simply beautiful. I am a hand quilter and actually prefer hand piecing and love applique. I do some machine piecing but the machine usually ends up frustrating me. I find the handwork so much more peacful and it's portable too. Love to have something to bring with me. I'd say I'm a rather patient person so I'm not rushed to finish and on to the next. Although, maybe that's why I have "a few" UFOs. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Outstanding......
Old 01-22-2012, 03:38 PM

What absolutely beautiful work!! I have a dear friend Helen (use to be from McMinnville, moved to Mich) she tried to keep hand quilting alive, she loves to do it. I am new to quilting and have only made two but found I enjoy sitting and doing the handwork (mine has not been very intricate to date) your applique work is so stunning, do you do the needle turn method? What is the best way to do the tiny little appliques? I just received a pattern set called Bountiful Blessings, a southwest pottery block quilt; it was made to be machine satin stitched but that looks so heavy to me and I would like to try to turn and applique by hand (at least all of the larger pieces; each pot is made up of many small intricate designs)

I heartily agree with you, in any quilt competition I think the hand worked quilts should have a seperate category; I do find some of the machine quilting very well done and attractive but it is a complete different category from hand quilting and they shouldn't be compared to each other but each in it's own category. Thanks so very much for sharing. Sincerely, Antylu, Brownsville, Or.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:55 PM

These photos of your work are breathtaking ! I Love handquilting and am happy there are still some that are keeping the old ways alive. I would take a hand quilted quilt over the best machine quilted quilt anyday ! I agree I would love to see the hand work category added to shows. I have only been to a few shows . The ones I went to my vote for viewers choice went to the hand pieced quilts.
I tend to be a traditional crafter. My machine is a 30 year old kenmore I bought when I was first married . I have recently purchaced an antique singer 15-91 and can't wait to use it. I also enjoy hand piecing . I have never hand quilted a large quilt but plan to. I until now have just tied the scrappies I have made.

Last edited by raedar63; 01-22-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Could not have said it better. Just WOW again!

Originally Posted by stitchinbee View Post
WOW! Double WOW! These are the most beautifully quilted quilts I have seen yet on this board. I commend you for hand-quilting, I wish I had the patience for it. If offered a machine quilted or hand quilted quilt, I would take the hand-quilted without a doubt. Awesome work!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:00 PM

WOW!! I love your work!!! I am truly amazed, it is beautiful. We have several women in our guild who hand quilt, and all the members appreciate the hard work and time they put into it. I am just so slow with it and honestly not very good. I would love to be able to hand quilt better. I know, practice practice practice. But I should first take a class and have someone show me how to do it correctly. I am left handed and a bit un-coordinated with the needle. Still have not mastered needle turn applique either, so I do it my way!! But hand quilting is different, I want to learn how to do it well. Thanks so much for sharing your gift!!