Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps - what to do with them? >

Scraps - what to do with them?

Scraps - what to do with them?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:31 PM

WOW CHAY! That is something I could COMPLETELY get on board with!!! Ok... now you have made me rethink this dumping scraps... and I already have a ton of huge Mason jars...

Originally Posted by Chay View Post
Check out the stitchedincolor blog and the idea for her Bottled Rainbows quilt:

http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2011/...ip-hurrah.html
Old 01-21-2012, 08:08 PM

i would'nt mind taking them off your hands I use scraps all the time.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by heyjami View Post
Ok, I think I'm now going to have to prioritize stash over scraps. I now how 2-3 tubs of paper piecing scraps that I couldn't part with. Time to part with them!

What do you do with your small scraps? Anything under 5" really should go.

I wish I could set them out near the end of the driveway and the magic scrap fairy will come and pick them up (promising to make all sorts of beautiful things out of them).
There's a gal on here who's wanting to do a postage stamp quilt. Maybe she will see this and contact you.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 PM

Our quilting group saves all our scraps. They're made into dog beds and donated to the humane society. Also check out Lumberyard quilts. You cut 21/2X 21/2, 21/2X 41/2, 41/2X 41/2,and 21/2X81/2 inch scraps and throw them in a box. Someday when the box gets full enough, they will all sew together into a nice scrapy quilt.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
OH Gosh, I sure hope I wasn't one of the ones that forgot to reply and give thanks. I am always so incredibly thankful for the generosity of everyone here on the board, whether I am the receipient or someone else. But I must confess that I do sometimes forget things. Define sometimes as daily. Between the fibrofog and the meds I take, my best intentions often go astray. It in no way means I don't appreciate the effort and kindness behind the squishy. I always appreciate a gentle reminder that someone hasn't heard from me. Something like a good swift kick in the behind would work.
I have often read here where someone says it is only simple common courtesy to send a thankyou and to let the sender know that the package has arrived and why should the sender have to prompt to get that which is due. And although I do agree and understand the concept in a perfect world, most of us don't live in a perfect world. And many of us, like me, do have our eggs all in one basket, we just can't find where we put the dang basket.
I do make lists and try hard to be organized so I don't forget things, but then along comes a bad day or week and things get put in places never to be seen again, or come across weeks or months later. I mean who looks in the freezer for their to do list?
So I guess what I'm saying is, rather than assume someone does not appreciate your efforts, give them the benefit of the doubt and take your kindness a step further and sent a PM asking if the package was received. We will love you even more for understanding our frailties. Hugsssss and smilesss.....
This is exactly what I was saying,most do not intend to be ungrateful ,they just have so much going on inside their heads they forget. I am horribly forgetful. I hurt a memember on here terribly when she didnt hear from me and contacted me. It was a christmas swap and my son picked up the package and left it in his car. I got back with her a few times saying how sorry I was etc,etc and she still wont respond. We all need to be more understanding and forgiving of each other ........
Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 AM

I know I've harped on this subject before- however, it is a fact that material is so expensive here that I don't part with anything. I make landscape quilts from the really small scraps or make a still-life or collage style 'painting'. Strips get wound around my ropes and I make coil pots. One becomes very inventive at $26 a metre.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 AM

I have tons of scraps. I can't seem to throw any of them away, but they are growing to the point of taking over my house!! I have two sewing rooms--both unorganized and messy and I am obsessed! I will keep anything, even the fabrics I don't really like. I like the idea of just sewing them all together for a string quilt. maybe someday----
Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 AM

I put my scraps in a box, dividing childrens fabrics from regular quilt fabric, until I have enough to make a quilt.
Then I make a charity quilt. Sometimes I send the childrens quilt to school with my granddaughter
to take to the nurses office.
With the regular quilt fabrics I make quilts for someone with cancer, has been very ill, etc.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:33 AM

you make a scrappy quilt! I finished a string quilt yesterday............totally awesome, all from scraps which were mostly strings and "thinks" that made it interesting here and there, like a few leftover triangles sewn together to make a string. Lots of the fabric was given to me by quilting friends and family, some of it was mine too. I am ready to do another and don't mind it a bit when I get all those little gifts from my friends. Try one, just sew them all into strips and go for it. I need to investigate a couple of comments from others posting to you on methods they may have used.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:49 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Mine go to the sewing grands to make barbie clothes. So I never have enough to quilt with !LOL at least they are sewing !! so if my scraps help to dress a barbie doll and make her beautiful then so be it !! AND if they keep alive the art of sewing and quilting for another generation then I have succeeded !!