Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting >

Free Motion Quilting

Free Motion Quilting

Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Wow. thank you. Newby quilter here. Your info is awesome. the referenced site is spectacular! I love this Board!!!! You guys ROCK!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 AM

http://Daystyledesigns.com is a great sight for fmq. I learned a lot from this sight, but the main thing you learn is that practice is very important. I made over 100 potholders using her different space filling designs. The basic things to remember is: try to relax, it's only a quilt. Lessen your drag on the quilt by puddling and not rolling, it adds to much weight. And, keep your speed lower until you get use to it. I've gotten to where I actually anticipate the time I spend quilting my works of art. Remember to have fun.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Yes free motion quilting on bed quilts. I just stick to wall hangings, table runners,etc.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 AM

I took a class a few years ago with my mom and I felt like a drunk driver hehehe
Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 AM

what an interesting thread. thank you for starting it. i do FMQ, and have a lot. i usually do opposing loops, SID, or grid work. i forgot how to stiple, after learning, and sooooo want to relearn. maybe this will get me going. have 3 or so that need to be done. right now, i'm trying to get thru a paid lesson on the net. from craftsy. haven't gotton past, what i know already, but did catch the kind of gloves she prefers, are different than mine. and lighter.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:52 PM

I just finished quilting a QUEEN size quilt on my Bernina Activa. I ordered a DVD done by Paula Reid on her "fluff and stuff" method. It's available from her website battsintheattic.com. It was well worth the money and shows how to handle the excess quilt that's not under the needle. Two other tips are to quilt with a denim or jean needle because they're sharper and instead of gloves I wear the fingertips normally used to turn pages that you can buy at any office supply store. Cost is less than $4. Remember, you're probably the only one that's going to know your quilting wasn't exactly where you wanted it. Enjoy. It's well worth the practice and the learning curve.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Midwestmary View Post
I do FMQ my quilts and have found one of the biggest things is to have the quilt supported on all sides - avoid drag at all costs I've recently acquired a Janome 6600P and the larger throat space is nice and makes it easier to manuever. I think a supreme slider and quilting gloves help quite a bit.
I do all these things also.Have the same machine too.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:15 PM

Love Leah Day's website and Francis Moore of SewCalGal website both doing tutorials on FMQ. I use my Pfaff and it all takes practice and I have alot of practicing to do, but love it. Their sites are great and encouraging.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 PM

That would be me too!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter View Post
FMQ on a DSM is extremely difficult. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Many talk the talk but few can walk the walk, even with practice, myself included. My LQS now has a long arm machine. I signed up for lessons on it. I can then FMQ for $15 an hour. I think it's a good deal because I've thrown away quilts with fabrics worth much more than the $ it would take to longarm my next quilt. I also have to take into account the aggravation/tearing my hair out factor. I really excited about the class. Maybe you know someone who would let you rent their longarm.
FMQ is like any other skill...there are some that can and some that can't. I would never presume that because I couldn't do it no one can... I do FMQ on my Domestic Kenmore 6 1/2 inch throat..With the help of The nubby Gloves and supreme slidder I have done a presentable job I have pictures on this board to prove it..It takes Practise but the rythm of your hands and speed of your machine, when they finally coincide is remarkable fun,fast .. I for one can not afford to send out a quilt to get quilted.. Just saying...Bill'sBonBon