Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting >

Free Motion Quilting

Free Motion Quilting

Old 01-26-2012, 07:54 PM

This is the best site for all free motion quilting questions. Leah has videos that are very explicit. I have used her directions for many of my free motions projects.

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogsp...tart-here.html
Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sandee View Post
Just wondering- How many here feel comfortable FMQ on their domestic machines and how many have tried more than stippling and meandering?? If you have tried, do you have any special things/techniques you do to make the process successful?
I am not real comforable with FMQ as I am such a perfectionist! I just saw where Missouri star quilt company with Jenny has a new video out on FMQ but I haven't watched it yet. (Just got the notice this evening).

Last edited by quilting in my60s; 01-26-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 PM

Sorry if this has already been posted, Leah Day is now doing a "quilt with me" type thing. It's on week three, but I'll bet you could catch up.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 AM

That was a great site. Thanks sooooo much for sharing.
Originally Posted by buick quilter View Post
Take a look at patsythompsondesigns.com. I found this site this week, tried a feather design (her tutorials are on youtube), and was so pleased with the results that I ordered two of her books. Take a look, you'll see!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 AM

Could someine please post a small picture of stippling and meandering? i was told they are the same thing but I find that hard to believe when I see so many different people on here mentioning both. I'd sure appreciate someone clarifying this for me.

Thanks bunches.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 AM

I agree with everyones advice. To me the bottom line is practice, practice, practice. Our guild does quilts to give to our local women's shelter. These are my "practice" pieces. Not only am I getting better the more I do, the shelter is still receiving quilts sewn with love!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 AM

I have the BSR for my Bernina that I found new on Ebay for $400 and love it but I still don't have much confidence, so I only do small projects with it and my Project Linus quilts. On my bigger quilts that are being done for someone else, I send them out to a local long-arm quilter. It is not worth the stress to do them myself!

I DO know that the new Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorial that came out today on free-motion quilting is going to be my new best feriend.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by PghPat View Post
Could someine please post a small picture of stippling and meandering? i was told they are the same thing but I find that hard to believe when I see so many different people on here mentioning both. I'd sure appreciate someone clarifying this for me.

Thanks bunches.
To me stippling is a meandering pattern where the lines do not cross.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pWMfiQCevr...20/j%2B001.JPG

Meandering is ANY design that travels around the quilt, as if you were meandering around town. So stippling is a form of meandering, but it might be loops, or stars, or flowers.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hEBb1yIrQm...0/IMG_1714.JPG
http://prettybyhand.com/storage/FMQ%...=1304898550277

(Note, the images are not mine)
Old 01-27-2012, 11:14 AM

I feel pretty confident with it on my Brother. I think it is a million times easier than SID or just straight line. Not to mention that for me it is a million times more ejoyable. But I practice A LOT. I use a practice sandwich before I put any actual project under the needle.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I wanted to start FMQ my own quilts and I have a Janome. I took the class and feel really confident doing a table runner or wall hanging. I tried it for the first time on a twin size quilt right before Christmas and I HATED IT!!! I just don't enjoy the struggles I have to go through to do it. So I will continue to do SID and straight lines and send out any quilts that I want fancy quilting on. I know that there are quilters out there that do it on their domestics and their quilt tops turn out beautiful. Just not for me. . . .
I found turning the machine to the back, so the needle and foot are in front of me and nothing on each side of the arm is the best way to do larger projects. I have done a twin size like this, and it came out OK. I did stack books to bring each side up level, and stabilized plastic notebooks on each side to help with the weight. i have a Singer touch and sew, and the worst part of doing it this way is the wheel in the back since it doesn't have a needle down feature. I still prefer to do my own, but would jump at the chance to take LAQ lessons.