Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Do I have a treasure? >

Do I have a treasure?

Do I have a treasure?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:29 PM

You do have a treasure. I can't tell you what you would be able to charge for this machine if you wanted to sell it. I have an antique singer machine. My husband took it to the Sewing Exchange in Ogden, Ut. He was able to get a new belt for it. All I ever do is add a little sewing machine oil at Christmas time when I use the machine as part of a Santa's Workshop. There is also an electric motor that was sold as an add-on in the early 1900's. I love my machine. It is the one I use to sew blue jeans because it is so strong. If you contact someone who does wood working, you could have a new drawer made to replace the one that is missing. Use lemon oil on the wood cabinet to help it stay nice. :wink:
Old 08-19-2009, 01:57 AM

I know you can buy the belts for these machines on Ebay. They are made from leather and fit any treadle machine. You will I think have to oil it with a good sewing machine oil. apart from that you have a great little machine.

elle
Old 08-19-2009, 02:06 AM

Wow!!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 AM

All of the info is great! I realized after I posted the pic that I had forgotten to put the drawer back in. I had pulled the whole thing apart looking at the treasures left inside. I also got a bunch of threads and two match boxes of buttons. All of the drawers seem to be in good shape. I plan to check out the treadle on website to figure out how to clean it up and then find a belt so I can actually use this machine. Right now it is just gathering dust. :)
Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 AM

Deja Vu! I learned to sew on one of these. My sister still has it. Mom repainted it. (cabinet)& painted the metal stand shiny black. I'm 54, starting sewing on it when I was about 6 or 8. We had the sewing machine man work it over & make sure the tension was right & ordered us a new belt. They are real long. Sewed a million miles on it. I use to make doll clothes on it. Mom was using the electric making clothes for us so I couldn't always use it. In the past before I got a fancy computerized machine, I would have trouble sewing some types of fabric, so we got out old stand by treadle. Wish I had room to bring it home so dgd could learn to sew on it. I really enjoyed it learning to sew on it no electricity required, just feet power. I say you have a priceless treasure. Hold on to it.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:14 AM
JJs
Banned

there is a treadle yahoo group that you might want to join...
also this one: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintagesingers/

yes it is a 'treasure' - but only to you - because it was your grandmothers and it is in good condition... as far as monetary value, they don't sell for much because so many were made...
that said, I paid $300 for one (an exorbitant price by the way) but the cabinet had been totally refurbished, and the machine had been completely cleaned etc - in other words the whole thing is in fantastic condition -
would I pay that for one in a ratty cabinet that was rusty? no, or one that was 'ok' but needed work? - no

join that vintage singer group to find out how to clean the machine safely, there's a lady on there that sells the belts, you can download the manual (singer 66) from the singer site, etc

Old 08-20-2009, 08:18 AM

It's not the kind treasure of thousand's of dollars your dad and you were looking for. It's a family past on treasure. Somthing you shouldnt have to question.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:22 AM

Yes you do have a treasure. Not only was it your grandmothers, but looks in excellent condition. Check out -- treadlelady.com Donna Kohler "rescues" treadle machines. (she also has a realtor website). Very interesting lady. -- There is also a website for treadle machines - -treadlesewingmmachines.com.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:08 PM

You've got a treasure there for sure. Treasure it always. A good oiling probably wouldn't hurt. Anyway, hang on to it girl. When you get it lined out it wll sew better than a new one.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:16 PM

that is one beautiful machine.
Congratulations!