Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do my flying geese look so bad? >

Why do my flying geese look so bad?

Why do my flying geese look so bad?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 AM

jcrow, I can hear the frustration in your words. You do not need special rulers or tools to make perfect geese every time.
Just go to this site . There are many site that do it the same but this was the first one I opened.There's no waste with this method

blockaday.com/make-your-geese-fly/.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I've been quilting for 20 years and I still haven't mastered the flying geese. I just had to make some for a quilt I'm making and I ran out of fabric because I kept having to re-do them. I sew on the line I make on the back of the square and put the square in the corner of the rectangle and then put the other square on the other side and cut the back off (behind the squares) and it's the wrong size every time. I tried making it bigger and planned on cutting it down, but I would have lost my points. I lose my points anyway and they are always too small every which way. Is there a trick to making them? Is there another way? They are suppose to be 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 rectangles and I add 2 1/2" squares. Any help would be appreciated.
I hope this will work. Trying to post the page
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
flyinggeese.pdf (50.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 02-01-2012, 04:20 AM

I've been quilting for 20 years and I still haven't mastered the flying geese. I just had to make some for a quilt I'm making and I ran out of fabric because I kept having to re-do them. I sew on the line I make on the back of the square and put the square in the corner of the rectangle and then put the other square on the other side and cut the back off (behind the squares) and it's the wrong size every time. I tried making it bigger and planned on cutting it down, but I would have lost my points. I lose my points anyway and they are always too small every which way. Is there a trick to making them? Is there another way? They are suppose to be 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 rectangles and I add 2 1/2" squares. Any help would be appreciated.
You mentioned sewing "on the line." I have found that if I sew just off the line it gives the fabric place to fold over when the seam is pressed and the block falls right into place.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:40 AM

If anyone is having problems with their Flying Geese, please check out this video by Ricky Tims...I NEVER did FG before and when I saw this video, I was amazed...tried it and I'm SO pleased...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y
Old 02-01-2012, 04:56 AM

Hi,
I have the Eleanor Burns flying geese ruler and the Deb Tucker Wing Clipper and love them both.
Sandy
Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 AM

I just watched a Youtube video called "One seam flying geese quilt block" and it looks fantastic. I am going to go try it right now.
I didn't like this method because you fold over the fabric , and some places on the piece, the fabric is 3 layers deep!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 AM

I agree with paper piecing. I think its the only way to go if you are challenged with accuracy.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:52 AM

I just watched a Youtube video called "One seam flying geese quilt block" and it looks fantastic. I am going to go try it right now.
I've tried this and felt the quilt would be too bulky and stiff. Also, wouldn't all those "pockets" provide more opportunity for the quilt to get hooked on things and rip? Maybe for a wall hanging it would be good. Let me know in a PM if you make a whole quilt in this method and like your results. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:52 AM

flying geese are twice as wide as tall - so if the if the width is 2 1/2 inch the length should be 5. Or at least that is what I have always been taught.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 AM

Eleanor Burn's Flying Geese templates are at first confusing, but my favorite way because the FG unit is cut LAST! First you make the pattern that yields 4 FG units (only four lines of stitching corner to corner). Then you press well without stretching. Then you cut the FG to the size required. I use quilter's edge strips to make a jig for doing the final cuts. It speeds up the process. I can make 16 FG units in about 20 minutes, and they're all perfect. AND I am NOT a good piecer!