Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese? >

Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

Old 02-09-2015, 05:56 PM

Default Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

I have taken so much time cutting, measuring, sewing....ripping, measuring, trimming, sewing.....and on and on. For some reason, I just have problems with these triangles altogether. Either they don't fit with the blocks I am trying to sew with them or I can't get the points right when I piece them to something else. I have one point sewn in the seam and one point not close enough to the seam.....it's my kryptonite. I have been working on the Taos Quilt Pattern for over a year. I got so frustrated with the last blocks I made and I put it away - since last May. I have pondered it over and over. I went back this past weekend, ripped all the piecing out, re-measured, cut and tried again - a few times. Finally, I got them to a point that I guess they will have to do. I have watched videos and tried different methods. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 02-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

If I need Flying Geese, I always use the method where I use a rectangle and place squares on each end of the rectangle. I sew the diagonal on one square and flip out the fabric (trim the extra away on the corner) and then do the other side in the same way.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:03 PM

This pattern relies heavily on the Easy Angle, Tri Recs and Companion rulers. I think this may be part of my problem. I thought these would make it easier. I am feeling quite incompetent.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

The tri recs ruler makes a triangle in a square patch, not a flying geese unit. You can cut the triangles with the easy angle ruler, but I think you will have better success cutting squares, sewing then cutting off the excess.
I have pretty much given up on perfecting my flying geese. I just make 2 half square triangles. There's an extra seam, but the visual impact is the same.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:08 PM

The newest Love of Quilting magazine (March/April issue) has the formula for how to make 4 flying geese units at the same time. Flying Geese blocks are the next round in my medallion quilt so this came just at the right time.

Determine the finished size -- cut small pieces 7/8 " larger than finished height of the FG unit. Cut large square 1 1/4" larger than the finished width. (finished size 2 x 4 -- cut small squares 2 7/8" and large squares 5 1/4") Good luck with your flying geese! I'm going to try this method tomorrow!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:11 PM

I've found that when I sew odd shaped triangles like the ones made with the TriRecs it helps if I find the center of the side I'm going to sew to the other piece, find the center of that piece and match the centers instead of trying to match the ends. Boy, that sentence doesn't make sense LOL. I know what I mean, do you? Sorry I can't explain it in words any better.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

there should be some tutorials showing the use of those rulers. Look for them, that should help if you can see how to do them.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:39 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Have an experienced quilter/teacher watch as you make one to help determine what (if anything!) you are doing wrong. Observing and making slight changes for you can give a world of help!

Jan in VA
Old 02-09-2015, 08:41 PM

Once I switched to using the E. Burns Flying Geese rulers---I had no problems. They come out perfect every time. You start out with 2 different sized squares on top of eachother. I have them in every size she makes.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:42 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you are making, but I've decided that I would personally want to trim a HST or Flying Geese unit to size. Then it's the perfect size to fit in my block. Makes a little waste, but saves me a ton of time in frustration! That's how I do all mine now. Blocks end up so much better.