Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't like these colors >

I don't like these colors

I don't like these colors

Old 02-08-2015, 04:00 PM

Default I don't like these colors

My daughter just had a baby girl in December. After four grandsons, I was thrilled to finally sew for a little girl, using girly colors of pink or yellow. Well, my daughter wants a quilt made with navy blue, coral and gold with no flowers or anything baby-ish. I bought the fabrics that she chose, but I'm having a difficult time sewing these fabrics together. There is nothing that says "baby girl" with these fabrics. The colors are bold and dark. I thought about inserting lighter colors, but I'm afraid my daughter wil be unhappy if I do that.

I bought a couple of baby girl outfits with navy and coral to give me inspiration, and the outfirs are actually quite cute. Maybe it's the gold that doesn't seem to go with navy and coral.

Has anyone else had to sew a quilt with colors you just don't like??
Old 02-08-2015, 04:09 PM

Yes, I have made quilts that I thought the colors were hideous but then I stopped my thinking and said " these are the colors that make (her/him) happy. I then look at different patterns and pick a couple that I then show the recipient to choose.
I think the gold would be good as an inner skinny border. Good luck
Old 02-08-2015, 04:14 PM

I would make one in the colors she wants. If they live near you make one you would like to leave at your house for cuddle time there.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:28 PM

Coral is a popular color right now. You will like it when you are done.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:50 PM

What pattern are you making? You could make a really "girlie" quilt with any colour combo depending on how feminine a pattern choice you make.
I did look for a coral fabric recently as I wanted to make a quilt for a young lady I used to work with.... they want yellow & coral.... NO pink! Didn't find any locally and forgot to search any out online. Please post as you work along, it's fun to be inspired by others ideas.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:52 PM

It would be hard for me to quilt those colors but I would think that I could keep an open mind about them hopping that when it was finished that she would love it.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:31 AM

Yes, I'm working on one right now. It's a scrappy combo of mens shirts and one solid light color as the constant contrast. It too is a gold, it reminds me of Grey Poupon mustard. Blah colors as far as I'm concerned but the right ones for the recipient. Now that I'm in the middle of joining blocks together and can see it up on the design wall, it's become easier on the eyes.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:06 AM

Make you daughter the quilt she wants you to make, then make your granddaughter the quilt you want to make.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:44 AM

I would use the coral as your dominant color. It can be very feminine. Then, accent in the navy and gold. It sounds like your dau is going modern, (all the new mom's are these days,) so I'd find a hip and contemporary pattern to make the quilt. Good luck! Oh...and Congrats!

~ Cindy
Old 02-09-2015, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

New baby decor and colors are all for the mom, not the baby. Make the quilt your DD wants and then all the others can be your choice. Both my DDs were that way. A few quilts later for the grands, they admitted the baby quilt they chose wasn't all that pretty compared to the play quilts I made.