Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Serious Grandcild Issue Need Advice >

Serious Grandcild Issue Need Advice

Serious Grandcild Issue Need Advice

Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 AM

Grandma
I know the feelings of not being able to help your grandchildren. you have got a lot of good advice about Dr's and child abuse situtation so i won't say anything else about that. but will add him & you to my prayer list
May all work out well & QUICKLY Our children have enough peer pressure and situtations at school to deal with this could be scarring for life.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 AM

I have worked with many children and have seen this more often than people think. Some do not want to take time to potty and others are just lazy but all of them need love and support. My middle son wet his bed every night until one uroligist put him on a nose spray. He was 11 or 12 by that time so you can imagine the problems that caused.My opinion is that today we have to let the child decide when they are ready to come out of diapers instead of encouraging them when the parent sees the ready signs. I have 8 children and they were all completely trained at a different time in their lives.
As for what can you do? Some say to stay out of it but, I am one grandma that speaks out when I see one of mine being mentally abused. Encourage you daughter to stand up for him.
Also as someone else said; there is nothing unusual about a boy this age playing by himself at day care. I am not an expert but I have worked with children for 40yrs or more and have a cerificate in Early Childhood
We all know though that this is just my thought.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM

My oldest grandson had this problem. His doctor said that little boys have more problems with this because the nerves don't mature for them. I wished we had heard about the chiroprator, we would have tried it. What the Dr had my daughter do is have him take metamusil, to help him completely empty his bowels and calcium. When he did this, it seemed to help a lot. I'm sorry for your sil, losing the trust of your son is an awful loss. Hope he catches on soon enough.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

My DGD was xrayed for another problem and it was discovered she was 'backed up'. That explained a lot of her problem. She was prescribed Mirolax every half hour until she was cleaned out and on Mirolax every day. It took about a month for her to get over all her bowel problems including having control of it. It took going to four Drs. to finally find her problem. One simple x ray! The other Dr.s just kept changing diet or said it wasn't a problem. If there is a problem then it needs to be found out why there is a problem. Amazing how many children don't mention the backed up problem at all. They don't know they are. I always had my kids show me before flushing when they were young. LOL
Old 01-31-2012, 01:18 PM
nms

I love you quilty poem<button id="smartswipe_doc_changed_button_id" style="display: none ! important;" smartswipe_uniqid="a90a0943-985f-4194-bd4d-a7a58d686caf"></button>
Old 01-31-2012, 01:36 PM

I was in second grade pooping my pants. I went to the dr and was hospitalized due to fecal impaction, the size of a foot ball. It was due to teachers not letting us use the bathroom and eating only apples.

they flushed out my intestines(not very pleasant. The pooping was the sludge in the intestines going around the mass. I vomoted as well but Mom never believed me.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I am sure you have heard the old saying: dammed if you do and dammed if you don't .. IF you decide to intervene be ready for that saying to be said alot.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:43 AM

My little grandson has the same issue and he is 5. It is getting much better, but how we deal with his issue is.. we get him to take a time out toilet break after each meal (about 30 minutes after). Then we show him how much more time he has to enjoy playing and etc when he goes potty in the toilet rather then having to be cleaned up completely. It really takes a parents watchful eye on the child to really learn his bowel habits. We use a digital clock, so he can actually see the numbers on the clock. This also teaches them their numbers etc. We are down from daily accidents to one every other week now.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM

Boy's seem to mature slower than girls. My son would wait tell he would be holding it and when he let go to pull pants down (just 2 seconds to slow) Find out if the teacher has said something to the class as a whole that frighten the boy
Old 02-01-2012, 03:40 PM

My friends little boy had this problem , they did surgery for what they called back then, a lazy bowel. My nephew also had a twisted bowel that went undiagnosed causing the same problem. Surgery corrected that. I would try the chiropractor first, if that did not work, second and third opinions would not hurt.