Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Just Takes 2 Quilt-Along! >

Just Takes 2 Quilt-Along!

Just Takes 2 Quilt-Along!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Ok ... dumb question time!!

I've never used freezer paper, had to go out and buy some. Not sure if I bought the right stuff, just noticed it say's "plastic coated". Is that OK to use?

Also, when I trace the templates onto the freezer paper, do I trace my pencil marks on the shiny side or the plain side?? Going to be important when I do the school house.
Yes you have the right stuff. When ironed the plastic slightly melts to "adhere" the paper to the fanric. It is non-marring and easily removed. You want to trace on the paper side, OR flatten it out and send it through the printer so it prints to the paper. This pattern is already mirror imaged, but on others you may need to consider the orientation of everthing.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 AM

Woo hoo I'm all caught up! My house came out too small; I accidentally used the first set of patterns I printed which were small. Duh. So I've added a border, which will probably only show less than a quarter inch once its joined together but at least it's the right size now. As others have said block 12 comes out a bit small even using the right size printed pattern so I may do the same with that one if it needs it in order to fit. I love these pretties!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]309187[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0331 (1280x848).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	634.0 KB
ID:	309187  
Old 02-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Beautiful blocks Victoria! I just love red and white!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Thanks Anael! your swirly red ones are gorgeous!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 PM

I am loving these red and white blocks!! Wishing I didn't have scraps, which made me go scrappy. Would have loved a good reason to buy lots of yards of red

I've been a sewing ALL day long and LOVING IT! Finished 3 blocks and have another one cut and ready to go. I've cut the hearts block but I'm planning on raw edge applique with machine stitched blanket stitch (I avoid hand work like the plague!), but I don't have any fusible and I know I'm going to need a stablizer before I applique these things. I DID applique block #1 - machine stitched with a satin stitch, NO stabilizer (just a boat load of pins!) and it came out nice! But I'm not going to play that game with the points of the hearts.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:13 PM

Ok .. here are my finished blocks as of the end of the day today. Since I started late and didn't have freezer paper until today, I did them out of order. Also is a close up of Block #1 because I'm proud of that one! I've never done applique, and I've never done machine satin stitch - and I did it without a stablizer and it's good!! I toyed around with making the circle a flower instead, but I didn't like it. The "shape" of the flower got lost in the confusion of the high contrast. It might have worked with less contrast - but not with this.

Name:	Blocks as of 020512 resized.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	309333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Block 1 resized.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	309334  
Old 02-05-2012, 10:36 PM

You've made some beautiful blocks Doghousemom. Your colors go together really well! Block 1 turned out great! It doesn't look like your first time applique with satin stitch. I've never done that, I always needleturn or fuse the whole thing and do a machine blanket stitch
Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Finally caught up and have all the blocks done from the first three rounds. Pic below are the last 4 blocks complete. The sun, the schoolhouse, the hearts, and the 12.5" block from the Feb 1 set.

I was going to use a blanket stitch on the hearts, but in the end I decided on a simple satin stitch. I also used a satin stitch to attach the white top to the sun, but I machine pieced the bottom "pie" to the bottom of the sun.

Name:	Blocks as of 021212.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	311210  
Old 02-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Congrats Doghousemom on finishing all blocks. They're beautiful! I love the colors you're using! Your quilt will be gorgeous once finished! Is your 12.5" block from the last set really 12.5"? Mine turned out 1/4" too small.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
Is your 12.5" block from the last set really 12.5"? Mine turned out 1/4" too small.
ahhhh ... one of the benefits of coming late to the party was that I read that you and a few others said you had short blocks. So I cheated When I cut my pieces off from the paper, I cut them all a smidge too big on all sides. My block measures 12.5", and I don't think I cut more than a single threads width when I squared it up in the end.

My schoolhouse block on the other hand has a few pieces on the R edge that are a smidge short. Fortunately it's just some of the pieces so I can use the other pieces on the same side for reference. If the whole thing was small, I'd clip a post it note to it as a reminder that I needed to "fudge" some seams.