Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
good machine for free motion quilting >

good machine for free motion quilting

good machine for free motion quilting

Old 01-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Curious which machine do you have that you have problems FMQ with? So many seem good at the start and then you read all of these nightmares. I have a Bernina 630 (I know its out of your price range) but it does fmq. endlessly without one problem. It has the oscalating hook. I think the 7700 is over 2000. I looked at that the other day. Seems like a good machine. Very heavy with large harp. I did not FMQ because I didnt like the way the feet go on and off, and I dont like the fact you have to unscrew the main plate. IF the machine is at all sensitive to thread and lint you have to clean all of that pretty often. I liked the Melody (babylock) The new Viking Sapphire 830 and the Bernina 530, 430 whch all are around the same priceing between 1800 and 2400. Also if less I used the Pfaff Ambition 1.5 for FMQ in a class, and found it to be really good, easy, quiet, it has thread cutters but no hands free mechanisim. But it is a larger then reg.
harp. THe price is at my dealers is 1300. The 1.0 is around 800
Just some ideas.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Edit it is the new Sapphire Viking 875 that I tried out and it is a very nice machine in testing.
Not the 830.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 PM

I have had the 7700 for over a year now and love it! FMQ is a breeze!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by libber View Post
I'm learning quite a bit from the discussion. I have an FW and a 201-2. Can someone please recommend some good tutorials or U-Tube videos, I'd like to start doing FMQ with either of them.
Leah Day just started a new FMQ project for those that wish to learn or improve.

freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/p/start-here.html
Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by nanbue View Post
Curious which machine do you have that you have problems FMQ with? So many seem good at the start and then you read all of these nightmares.
Nanbue - I have a Janome 4800, which is very picky about threads (machine quilting thread won't go through the tension discs) and is incredibly temperamental for FMQ (though great for piecing). It's almost impossible to get the tension right - and I've tried everything over the years. I can do FMQ successfully on other machines, so it's not just me!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM

I also have the mega quilter, but mine is the Grandquilter from Pfaff. It's a very nice machine. I have mine on a quilt frame and it does a great job.
Karen
Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Thankyou. Viking is Husqvarna, isn't it? I was thinking of paying my Pfaff/Husqvarna dealer a visit.
Saw a Husqvarna advertised with an 11" throat but don't remember the model number. Visit the dealer and see what them have to offer and test drive everything! I am not very good at FMQ but keep trying. Do want to upgrade from my Janome QC4800 one day. Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Daisydoodle View Post
Saw a Husqvarna advertised with an 11" throat but don't remember the model number. Visit the dealer and see what them have to offer and test drive everything! I am not very good at FMQ but keep trying. Do want to upgrade from my Janome QC4800 one day. Good Luck!
I went to the Husqvarna and Pfaff dealer today and played with the Sapphire and the Pfaff Expressions 4. Mixed feelings - see the new thread I started. Next, the Horizon! As you've probably seen above, I have a 4800 as well, and it haasn't been a good experience, though I know many people love them.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:12 PM

Annethreads,
Did you find your machine?
I just bought a Janome 6600
Love it. Have FMQ for hours and its been great.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Take a look at the Janome 6300P, less stitches as the 6500p , a 9 in harp and about $900.00 I have one and I love it.