Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For our songbirds >

For our songbirds

For our songbirds

Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 AM

Just a reminder - John James Audobon killed all the birds he used for his pictures, they weren't painted from live birds.

I'm not saying the Audubon Society is not a good thing but I trust myself to know that if I am cold and wet I will probably get sick and a baby bird does not have the ability to see a doctor or take meds if it gets cold and sick.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longarm View Post
PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

There was an article in "Birds and Blooms" about the fabric and thread getting wet causing the baby birds to die of the cold and damp.

I don't know who thought of this but they are terribly wrong if they think it is a good idea. If you want to give the birds nesting material then use pet or human hair. I'm sure if you went to a local beauty salon or pet groomer they would let you have hair to put out for bird nests.
I enjoy looking at the beautiful photos in Birds and Blooms. It's a nice publication, but no serious birder I know considers it an authoritative resource.

Abandoned nests we've inspected over the years (empty--no dead baby birds) have had at most four or five of my tiny fabric strings like the ones shown in the OP. The amount of moisture they could retain would be no more consequential than that retained by the twigs and leaves and bits of moss that also make up the nests.

Just a reminder - John James Audobon killed all the birds he used for his pictures, they weren't painted from live birds.
That isn't relevant to this subject.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM

We make Santa Birdies in the spring with quilt batting, or stuffing, puttin out in the spring in the bushes for them to get at. Few years ago, gave Pa a hair cuttin out in the yard, found a small nest that fall with a lot of grey hair in it. Still got it. Hope the quilt batting is ok for them. They do look like little santa birdies with a beakfull of that. Been doing it for years.