Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 PM

Thank you for the comments on my determination to receive assistance at Walmart. The store serves a niche for many quilters, sewers, crafters, etc.

I must say that some of the personnel who had formerly staffed the department have been reassigned to stock items in the food aisles. The one person who was so kind, friendly, and helpful --- actually bringing in business --- became gravely ill and passed away. We have missed Harry and his wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm. Believe me, I will continue to make suggestions to management in a positive manner. ;-)

You can feel the glorious difference in the high quality fabrics from our local quilt stores, but the drive involved ranges from ten to fifty miles, minimum each way in this neck of the woods. Then, too, sometimes the quilt shops are specializing in specific types of fabric: batiks, Civil war, etc.

Yes, support the independent business person whenever you can if you want to have the services he can provide. This has been a most challenging time econimically. Actually, I feel fortunate that I have some discretionary funds to invest in my hobby and charity work.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 PM

I had trouble getting customer service this weekend at JoAnn's. Everyone was cutting fabric and I couldn't find anyone in the fabric paint department. I stood by the door that led to their break room until someone went in or came out. The two ladies I caught, could not tell me anything about nor the whereabouts of the product I was looking for. One told me if I had the UPC code, she could look it up. Really! Would I carry the UPC code around with me! I wish I would have thought of calling the front desk for some help.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 PM

"My" Walmart in Myrtle Beach is always staffed except if I go into the store after 9:00PM. Sometimes I have to hunt the associates down in the nearby craft aisles (they do have to take care of both craft and fabric) but 95% of the time, I am served quickly. The staff is friendly and courteous, and all know how to cut fabric better than at one of the LQS!

It would be nice if the store management would put up a sign for the 'off' hours that told us which department to go to for help when fabric/craft is not staffed, though.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
"My" Walmart in Myrtle Beach is always staffed except if I go into the store after 9:00PM. Sometimes I have to hunt the associates down in the nearby craft aisles (they do have to take care of both craft and fabric) but 95% of the time, I am served quickly. The staff is friendly and courteous, and all know how to cut fabric better than at one of the LQS!

It would be nice if the store management would put up a sign for the 'off' hours that told us which department to go to for help when fabric/craft is not staffed, though.
I didn't realize that you could get fabric cut during night hours. For some reason, I thought the fabric department closed at 9pm. Huh. .. ..
Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 PM

last week I had a girl come over from hunting to cut my fabric. It was a panel and she started to just hack it wherever not making any attempt to cut between the panels. I stopped her and told her I would cut it but she wouldn't let me. So I taught her to cut fabric panels the right way. It was still off but not by much.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Walmart really gets on my nerves and fabric shopping needs to be my happy time. So I skip walmart for fabric and most everything else. Does Walmart get on your nerves?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
Walmart really gets on my nerves and fabric shopping needs to be my happy time. So I skip walmart for fabric and most everything else. Does Walmart get on your nerves?
It's not Walmart that gets on my nerves, it's the Walmartians in the store that get on my nerves!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:13 AM

Oh my goodness ladies, how many threads did we have about wanting fabric back in wal mart and now that we have it we still are not happy. It is not the workers fault that corporate does not let the store have enough help please don't take it out on the clerks.My dad does this and I refuse to go to the store with him anymore. These workers are already treated like crap by the management staff lets not add to the mix.
Many can not afford LQS and if those persons could perhaps they do not have one close. (the closest one to me is 50 minutes away) Yes we may have to find some help at the cutting table but at least we now have a craft section!Yaaaaay!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson View Post
I sometimes need to purchase some interfacing or higher quality fabric from Walmart to try a technique.

Today, I decided to add the store phone number to my cellphone contact list.

I will ring the "call associate bell" once and wait for their response.

Then, I will phone the store to ask for assistance if step one doesn't work!

What do you think????

Bottom line: there's nothing like the knowledge, courtesy, and quality received at your LQS......
Hate that you have to do that, but not a bad idea. I stood for 30 min the other day and that was after ringing the bell and asking someone to call someone to help me. Fustrating.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:10 AM

Thats a great idea!!! Walmart finally put a fabric department back in one of the two stores here - I think they did it just because there had been many complaints about not having a dept any more -The problem I see is that the selection is so small and there isnt anyone that covers the department. I think they do this to justify to customers that they tried again but failed lol We shall see