Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department >

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Walmart's failure to staff fabric/craft department

Old 02-08-2012, 12:00 PM

I get all of my fabrics at the one walmart in my area that has a good selection of fabrics. If no one is working in the fabric area, (most of the time there is someone) I ask an employee to ask to get someone to help me, I always get the name of the person I have asked. If no one shows up in 10 minutes I talk to the store manager, give them the name of the person I asked to help me, not to get them in trouble, but to find out what the problem is. I immediatley get help. Also if store management doesn't know there is a problem then how can they address it to make improvements?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:07 PM

Thank you so much for coming to the defense of the workers. I am the department manager of our local WalMart but I also am in charge of stationery and celebrations. It is so very frustrating for me as a worker because the first 3 to 4 hours we are required to "zone" (straighten) the store. We are told it is a corporate decision. That only leaves about 3 to 4 hours a day to do all of our other work. I do not feel that I am keeping the department the way that it should be and I find that very frustrating. I try to listen for the bell but if I am over in stationery, sometimes it is not always easy to hear it. If they do page me, I practically run to the department because I know how frustrating it is to wait to have your fabric cut. I would suggest that everyone start calling home office or sending emails. Maybe we can get this awful situation fixed. Not everyone can affort lqs prices but if you can't get waited on, you have no choice. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Oh my gosh.....this just happened yesterday. I had 3 bolts of novelty fabric in my cart....rang the bell, walked around the department (there was one other customer looking at some fabric) then came back and rang the bell again. I walked the store circling the craft & fabric department from men's to the back to computers and electronics to housewares to the front and there was not one single associate on that floor. I went to the pharmacy and asked them to page someone. Went back to fabrics where the other lady was still waiting. After a few minutes we decided to cut our own and take it and the bolts to the register. This was a full 20 minutes after I walked into that department. She cut 3 yards of her costume fabric and I made a snip in one bolt for a half yard when the clerk walked up and said "You are not allowed to cut your own fabric in this store". She claimed to have walked thru just moments before when we both explained to her that she didn't and my trek around looking for someone. She asked how much fabric we each wanted and then measured my snip..exactly 1/2 yard. She then measured the other woman's and found it to be exactly 3 yards..maybe she thought we'd try to get away with cutting more and claiming less? I have since called the store manager and emailed corporate but I don't expect it to accomplish anything.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 PM

I feel your pain. As a WalMart stockholder I am horrified at the way they treat the fabric department. Many the time I have gone to Electronics or Sporting Goods to have them call. Boy are they used to doing this for us. I have been told this is a general cost cutting all over staff reduction by management. I have also been informed that the fabric department of the Franklin, TN, WalMart is making a profit for them. The last couple of times we have been there, there has been a clerk restocking the deparment, so I got service. It really infuriates me that the fabric department of any department in Wal Mart is treated this poorly. I intend to ask for a complaint forum so we can complain to someone who will listen. Don't know if this is an urban legend or not, but I was told WalMart has hired a management person from Target and he is the one who eliminated the fabric from many of the stores. It did cause a lot of backlash and some were reinstated. Complain to WalMart. They don't read Quilters Board. Wish they did and they would get the heads out of their.... Well you know where. I intend to complain and loudly in any forum available.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM

I went to Wal Mart on US 19 in South St. Pete FL and found the exact horse fabric I needed and got it cut with the exact amount I need to make 3 lap quilts for Horse Net - Horse Rescue in New Windsor MD. They will use the lap quilts to make money to pay for the horses keep.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:23 PM

I'm not a Walmart shopper (I prefer to support quilt shops), but I do occasionally shop there for fabric for craft projects. Complain directly to the manager. Be sure that before you do so, that you haven't just missed a bell or buzzer or something to call an employee if you need help. They need to know that people WANT HELP in that department. That's the only way to get the help in there.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:25 PM

The Walmart closest to me is within walking distance (well, if I wanted a brisk, 20 minute walk) while other fabric sources are all about a half hour away. I always check out the fabric department when I'm there....which is often. The fabric department has been restored....in about half the space it had several years ago. There are always boxes and piles of things everywhere...as though no one knows where to put them. They do have some fabrics at quilt shop prices, and others for $l.50 a yard. I usually look for an associate, if I can't find one, I check with electronics which is located next to fabrics. After that, I call the store on my phone....my daughter-in-law taught me that trick years ago. When I was there the other day, I purchased some $6+ fabric for placemats and napkins. After having the fabric cut, I spotted a coordinate in a different area. I also got some of that. I mentioned to the clerk that maybe she should put all the coordinating fabrics together. She replied that she had to put the bolts back where their "code" said they had to be! I just OK and left. I do buy notions there, but not usually fabric. Don't think the department will last. I don't even know who the manager is....I may check that out.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
Which is why I avoid Walmart like the plague. Walmart all around just plain gets me from the disarray in the store to the clutter in the aisles, to the screaming babies and kids echoing all across the cement box, to the long lines at checkout, etc.

And think of this: When you are the lowest price around how do you think they do it? Even at the low wages and tiny benefits (if any) they pay do you think they would remain the lowest if they actually staffed the store? You pay for what you get.
I don't where you live, but here in ENid, OK the walmart out pays ALL the other major stores, Kmart, Sears, Penneys, even Dillards....the only one paying higher than walmart is Hobby Lobby!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:48 PM

I have been calling the store while there for quite some time. It started in the paint department. I was also offered and job in the local Walmart and turned them down. The only time I got any reaction from anyone at Walmart is when the deli was closed and I let them know via form on their website that they had just lost a $200 + sale. They called me back fast enough then. I gave up trying to get anyone to cut fabric When I had a stack of bolts 10 high and waited 45 minutes for someone to come and just drove the 25-35 minutes to the fabric storein the next town over. I will say I do know and I knew then that is wasn't the employees fault. When you have someone covering , paint, camping, auto , hardware, housewares and the fabric dept they don't stand a chance
Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 PM

I have called the store from the fabric dept of WM and housewares before. I have also called from ie: lumber dept. in another big box store. And I have emailed more than once the home office if different stores because of lack of service.