Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 01-22-2012, 05:12 PM

Amazing they really are a work of art. I have never seen anything like these. I am new to quilting and I am going to quilting by hand. I only hope that one day I will be a fraction as good as you are.

Any advise or guidance for a new quilter. Thanks for sharing.

Diane
Old 01-22-2012, 05:26 PM

What beautiful work you do. Your love of quilting really shows in your work. I've done hand piecing and hand quilting and I do both by machine too, so understand what you mean. I believe there is a place for both, one style should not diminish the other. A hand-quilted quilt is a real treasure to cherish and a machine made quilt can be too.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:30 PM

Your hand quilting is beautiful. Unfortunately some of us are not blessed with your talent. Because of the lack of your talent I am glad for my friend that does my machine quilting. Keep up the good work and show us more pictures.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 PM

You work is truly a show of talent and dedication to an art form. I am in absolute awe. Thank you for sharing the beauty of your quilts.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM

I admire handquilting so much. It's what I call "real quilting", altho I can't do it myself. Arthritis and numbness don't allow for that much use of my right hand, unfortunately. I came to making little quilts late in life, and after being forced to be more of a homebody. Making these little quilts has added much pleasure to my life, and I enjoy them very much. And with little quilts I don't have to wrestle with a lot of heavy fabric either... It's a joy to see your lovely quilts!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by rhueluna View Post
What is happening to handwork? All we see now at quilt shows is machine work. I am keeping up the best I can to show handwork as the way to go. But I know the big machine makers are pushing for machine work to sell their goods. I love the intricate designs they make on the heavily machine quilted quilts and think its a real work of art. But to take a hand pieced old fabric quilt top and hit it with a bunch of loops on a machine breaks my heart. Each way has its own field. I wished someone would put handwork areas of the quilt shows to show off the hard work we hand quilters do. Here are a few of my hand quilted items I hope you like. I wonder what others have to say about it. I know when I talk to other hand quilters, they feel the same way and we are not noticed for the hard work. Keep up the good work all you hand quilters. And keep up the great art of the small machine designs that are so beautiful. But the whip em out big loops don't do a thing for me. I wonder what you all think.
You do beautiful work. I have the same question as you. I only hand quilt and love it. Not everyone can do such an art and to me that is the beauty of quilting.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:12 AM

hand work is beautiful.after 2 carpal tunnel operations I no longer do anything by hand-love my machines and way less pain.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

When I started I hand quilted. Even hand pieced. I thought that was the only authentic way to do it. My aunt died, and I got her sewing stuff. She was a remarkable seamstress. In the stuff was a half finished machine pieced quilt and a machine quilted top without binding. Said to myself, if it's good enough for her, I'll try it. Found out the truth--machine quilting (on a domestic machine, still refuse to get a long arm) is not easier than hand quilting. It is faster but unless you have done a lot of free motion, it is very difficult. Still, I love the look of hand quilting, especially with unwashed batting that crinkles. I love seeing densely machine quilted wall hangings, especially if the quilting designs are original. I agree that the two arts should be separately judged. And I will struggle, probably forever to get more than 8-10 stitches per inch on my hand quilting and even stitching on my free motion. But I will keep doing both. Good work is good work, no matter what the technique.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 AM

Love your quilts.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 AM

I would love to do this beautiful hand work however; my hands have arthritis and they hurt after awhile and so I think for me I will just have to make do with the machine. You should be very proud of your work.