Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome come back from 1-yr maint full of dust bunnies????? >

Janome come back from 1-yr maint full of dust bunnies?????

Janome come back from 1-yr maint full of dust bunnies?????

Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM

My dealer Charges $89, and warrantees the work for a period of 6 months. If anything goes wrong with the machine in that time he fixes it for free.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
I just cleaned my 6600 and I wonder if what they did was open up the bottom and use canned air thus blowing all of the dust bunnies into the bobbin area.

I took out the bobbin case and cleaned it from the top. Then I took the bottom off (I work on $50,000 electronic equipment at work. I decided to quit paying for something I can do myself.) and cleaned, greased and oiled it there. After that, I went back to the top and cleaned out the lint that had been dislodged and moved to the top when I had it turned over.

There isn't a place to service any of my machines closer than two hours away. It is so expensive and I have enough confidence I just do it myself. It is cheaper in the long run to pay for a repair than the two trips to the shop and the cost of the fuel yearly. Right now I have saved enough to buy a new machine!
I agree with the above post. When my favorite Sewing Machine Center went out of business a couple of years ago, the closest shop was 15 miles away. I walked in for an estimate and was told that it was $50 dollars and up for the Janome trained technician to even look at the sewing machine. I have came to the conclusion that not only it is cheaper to buy a new product (not just sewing machines) now. It is more cost effective to do so as a new Janome basic mechanical models (which I always buy and use) run from 100 to 200 US dollars. I buy them from big box stores that don't give me any problems about returning it for any reason during the usually 3 month period after the initial sale. Fixing a older sewing machine nowadays is simply handing over hard earned cash for someone to play with it at best or just sit on some shelf until you pick it up (and of course pay for the pleasure). No thanks. I pass. I am taking my old 20 odd year old machines that finally died on me to the scrap yard (and sell them for cash). Better the money comes to me. I buy appliances as needed. Repairing them at home if I am able. Otherwise buy new.

I just did my own maintenance on my now year old Janome Hello Kitty green machine. I cleaned it out with a small brush the bobbin/feed dogs area and vacuumed it afterwards and it works better than some chump charging me to play around with it if he/she even bothers to do so. I do know that the newer machines are all permanently lubercated at the factory so oiling is no longer needed for the expected life of the machine.

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 01-27-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 PM

First give them a chance to make it right. If they refuse, change repair shops and chalk it up to lesson learned. You don't need to tell everyone about the shop, if they won't make it right, they'll dig their own grave.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM

I have came to the conclusion that not only it is cheaper to buy a new product (not just sewing machines) now. It is more cost effective to do so as a new Janome basic mechanical models (which I always buy and use) run from 100 to 200 US dollars.
When I had $200 machines, I never got them cleaned. After 5 or so years when they started choking up, I'd just buy a new one. Now that my machine cost 10x that, a $80 cleaning to keep it in top shape seems totally worth it! (IMO, the more expensive machine is much more superior to the less expensive ones I had before, so I personally think I got my money's worth. That is a personal preference though.)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM

You probably aren't getting ripped off - pricing is different in different areas. Last time I took mine in about a yr ago I think it was $119.
Originally Posted by TerryQuilter View Post
Just got my Janome 6600 back from it's yearly maintenance. Haven't used it yet, but I will be sure to check it out before hand. Where I live in So Cal they charge $97 for a yearly maintenance! Maybe I'm getting ripped off
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 AM

I don't think that the "permanently lubricated at the factory so oiling is no longer needed" is true at least not on all machines.
Originally Posted by Bicycle Hobo View Post
I agree with the above post. When my favorite Sewing Machine Center went out of business a couple of years ago, the closest shop was 15 miles away. I walked in for an estimate and was told that it was $50 dollars and up for the Janome trained technician to even look at the sewing machine. I have came to the conclusion that not only it is cheaper to buy a new product (not just sewing machines) now. It is more cost effective to do so as a new Janome basic mechanical models (which I always buy and use) run from 100 to 200 US dollars. I buy them from big box stores that don't give me any problems about returning it for any reason during the usually 3 month period after the initial sale. Fixing a older sewing machine nowadays is simply handing over hard earned cash for someone to play with it at best or just sit on some shelf until you pick it up (and of course pay for the pleasure). No thanks. I pass. I am taking my old 20 odd year old machines that finally died on me to the scrap yard (and sell them for cash). Better the money comes to me. I buy appliances as needed. Repairing them at home if I am able. Otherwise buy new.

I just did my own maintenance on my now year old Janome Hello Kitty green machine. I cleaned it out with a small brush the bobbin/feed dogs area and vacuumed it afterwards and it works better than some chump charging me to play around with it if he/she even bothers to do so. I do know that the newer machines are all permanently lubercated at the factory so oiling is no longer needed for the expected life of the machine.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 AM

The local sewing shop which services me is very particular . He dislikes brother machines and want usually service them. My friend came ire toy from his shop afte a service to class. She was getting into a flap so I offered to help her. When I looked into the bobbin area it was fluffy so I also took off the plate. It was thick felt even between the teeth . Service had cost £60. What do these people do when they service.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I don't think that the "permanently lubricated at the factory so oiling is no longer needed" is true at least not on all machines.
I have been using 2 sewing machines which were permanently lubricated at the factory (a inexpensive Janome Hello Kitty Green Machine & the last mechanical Kenmore) since 2010. Even with the heavy use I give these machines, I never need to oil them. I am very careful not to neglect their daily/monthly/annual maintenance needs both discussed in their respective manuals or what I picked up online:

Solution To Dealing With Troublesome/Located Too Far Away SM Repair Dealers; DIY

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...iy-t212259.html

Remember that not all machines are the same inside:

".......Sewing machines generally require the basic maintenance of cleaning, oiling, and lubricating. These procedures are recommended in the use and care booklet that comes with the machine. It is the best reference for the specific care required by your machine. Some machines are designed to be oil-and lubricant-free so follow the directions in that booklet carefully......."-http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_c/c-102.html

Not only for sewing reliability or durability, but for taking care of them as well (to oil or not yourself).

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 01-28-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM

I have a Janome and have trouble getting service in my area. I purchased a 6600 and about 1 month after I had it the motherboard went out. The dealer I bought it from forgot to order the part after 2 weeks so I found another dealer. It took her 8 weeks to get it back to me. I called Janome and told them about their service and they didn't even seem to care. It's a shame when you spend so much on a machine and then get poor service. Glad you got yours taken care of. I love my machine but it will only work with expensive thread.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM

After starting this complaint back in February almost a year ago, it is once again time to do annual maintenance. I shudder to think of it!
In late November my happy little Janome 3160QDC developed an odd sort of little squeak in the upper area whenever the takeup arm went down - but only if there was a bobbin in so tension on the thread. I called the dealer (groan) and explained what was happening. she said it had happened to her (of course I am talking to someone who might be 18 by now) and that I should just "oil it".

I pointed out to her that this was not part of the Janome Instruction Book. She said 'Don't worry, just oil it'. I said "Where?" and she said, oh down under the bobbin case. Just dribble it in" I pointed out that the noise was coming from way upstairs in the take-up arm, but it fell on deaf ears.

So I went to Joanns, got some oil, and tried it. Of course, it did no good whatsoever. I finally convinced the dealer to TAKE THE@##$$%^ machine and FIX IT!

Three long weeks later (while my Christmas quilts were gathering dust), after numerous calls during which I got the helpful information that " it's on the bench" I got my machine back. Taped to the repair tag was a sad, ravvelly looking piece of thread which had evidently gotten stuck inside the take-up arm area during my last free-motion event.

For those with machines which have visible screws holding the case together, so you can get in there and maintain your machine, rejoice. For the rest of us with the sealed plastic case requiring a special dealer-only tool for access, it stinks.

And while I'm being cross, why does it take WEEKS to get a machine repaired? I get my car repaired in a couple hours. My husband just had a wheel bearing and axle and all go on his Chevy Silverado pickup (at 80,000 miles!) on Saturday morning and he's getting it back tonight.

There. Now I fell better I better get back to work LOL