Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Words or phrases that make you crazy >

Words or phrases that make you crazy

Words or phrases that make you crazy

Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 PM

My DD moved to NC and the expressions that drive her crazy are "might could" (as in "I might could do that.") and "fixin'" (as in "I'm fixin' to do that".) When I called her at her workplace, I was accused by her co-worker of hanging up on her because I said "bye" instead of "bye-now"! Needless to say the family joke now is to tell EVERYONE "bye-now"!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 AM

Oh no!! I am from up north and spend winters in the South, and I LOVE "Fixin"!! I use it all the time, saves words.

I'm fixin to go shopping.
I'm getting ready to go shopping.

See?

Has she run into "carry" yet? as in , "my car was broken so my neighbor carried me to the store." That took me aback first time I heard it.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
"Have a nice day..." Which I first heard in the US in 1983 and now every check-out chick says it here in all tones of voice. They all irk me.
If I were a clerk, I'd not like being called a check-out chick.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM

Extra ofs - as in "outside of", "inside of", etc.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:07 PM

My least favorite is when someone wants to "Axe" a question. Another one that bothers me - mostly on this site - is when someone refers to themselves as a quilter but they send everything out for LAQ. Beautiful things result for sure - but, ma'am, you are a piecer - not a quilter. Thank you for the opportunity to say that!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by almond View Post
Referring to a little boy as Bud or Buddy or spouse as " The wife" rather then by their name.
I agree! I have a BIL who refers to his wife as "The wife". I told my DH that whenever BIL does that, I want to ask "Which wife?"
Old 03-21-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jojo47 View Post
I agree! I have a BIL who refers to his wife as "The wife". I told my DH that whenever BIL does that, I want to ask "Which wife?"
A friend of mine does this, I have called him on it so many times that he now puts "The Wife" in air quotes. But the funny thing is he has a special ringtone for when she calls, like a warning siren, and it says, "Warning! Warning! It's THE WIFE!"
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 PM

That is distressing. Some people ARE still uneducated after getting a college degree. That is sad but true.

My sister received a note home (all students got the same note) from her son's ENGLISH teacher with 10 grammatical and spelling errors!!!! She took it right to the principal who was appalled. He said, "What do you want....I'll do anything." My nephew got a new English teacher. I'm sure this teacher is the exception, not the norm.

Some people just don't think grammar and spelling are important. I am not one of them. And I proof read everything because I make many typing errors.

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
One of my sons'middle school teachers sent home a note that started "I be needing to speak to you..." I spoke to the principal about a new teacher for my son. Some people don't realize how uneducated they write and sound, even after getting a college degree.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 PM

I have never understood why someone would say "the reason why." It is redundant. I have heard national news reporters use this phrase and it makes me want to gnash my teeth!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 PM

It use to be "You were very disrespectful to you father" Now they say "You disrespected your father." It just doesn't sound like correct Grammar. I hate it.