Surprise

Old 03-31-2012, 05:20 PM

This is where being a parent becomes very, very difficult! I would simply tell her I love her and that we are there for her and the baby. I once told my DD, who was very angry with her daughter and had contemplated "cutting her off," that she didn't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater...this is one of those times when, no matter what you believe, you MUST think about the baby (who didn't ask to be here) and not yourselves...and, it's hard. God bless you all as you work your ways through this. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:11 PM

I'm surprised I have a tongue at all, I've had to bite it so often! Glad I did as I have a great relationship with GD and GGS. He is such a big help at 8yrs old. Always wanting to 'clean' the floors, garage etc. You won't be sorry to have your DGD and her baby in y our life.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

Just do the best you can do. Times have changed, we have been married for 50 yrs., got a bad start but we just kept trying until we got it right. No one knows the future.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 PM

The precious grandson in the front of the boat was born to my daughter and son-in-law after 6 years of marriage - they will celebrate their 10th anniversary next month.

The precious grandson in the back of the boat was born to my son and his girlfriend after some months of living together - they had already broken up by the time he was born. Not a road I ever thought I'd walk. My first reaction was absolute horror. It is still not what I would have chosen for this precious little boy - there's too much drama in his life - but had I said what I first wanted to say I don't think our lives - or honestly his life - would be as blessed as it is now. Two completely different circumstances brought these boys into the world, but my world is blessed by both of them. Offer love and acceptance of the child - give advice only when asked and then only kindly. Good luck to you. You'll be walking a road you never thought you'd walk, but ... but there is light along the way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	324301  
Old 04-01-2012, 04:54 AM

I was in the same situation in 1968 and believe me I was very ashamed of my situation. I was raised in church and I do believe in God. My family was very supportive. They loved me and my baby without any reservations. I did marry the baby's Dad and I am still married to him today. My baby lived to be 41 years of age and we lost him in 2010 to siezures. I know that our life here can be hard but we should not miss out on the love and support from family.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine View Post
Just found out today that I am going to be a grandmother again. My granddaughter who is 23 is expecting in November. She is not married and she hasn't spoken to me in over 6 months. Her Dad said she is supposed to call me with the news and asked me to be supportive. I don't really approve of babies out of wedlock, so I am having a hard time knowing what to say to her if she calls. I guess I will just pray and hope the right words come to me. Anyone else been in this situation ?
my daughter had a baby before she was married, and i wouldn't change it for anything,,he is now 13 and he is the love of my life,,,,he is a beautiful boy and very caring
Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 AM

My mother always told us (and then her grandchildren).... "I may not always like or agree with your choices, but there is nothing you can ever do that will change how much I love you." A child brought into this world is precious and without blame and worthy of love. Embrace your family... your granddaughter and her children... and allow nothing to tear you apart. God bless you in this journey.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:21 AM

Please tell her you love her and will always be there for her. She needs you now more than ever.mkay
Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 AM

Personally, I would be very, very happy that she is having the baby and not an abortion!! You have to respect her for that. Even tho' abortion seems to be the easy way out, the mother suffers down the road. And besides, God has plans for this child. Would he turn her away? How many times are we to forgive? How many times does God forgive us and still love us more than we can imagine. Love her and give thanks that she is willing to face the consequences. God bless you all.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 AM

We may not agree with the decisions of our children or grandchildren but unless you want to risk alienating family (perhaps) forever, I would bite my tongue & like the others have said, tell her you love her no matter what & offer any & all help that she may need. I may even take the initiative & call her FIRST !! Only God is perfect & there is no one on the face of this earth that can match that. Think long & pray for patience in making this difficult decision.