Surprise

Old 03-30-2012, 06:42 PM

Default Surprise

Just found out today that I am going to be a grandmother again. My granddaughter who is 23 is expecting in November. She is not married and she hasn't spoken to me in over 6 months. Her Dad said she is supposed to call me with the news and asked me to be supportive. I don't really approve of babies out of wedlock, so I am having a hard time knowing what to say to her if she calls. I guess I will just pray and hope the right words come to me. Anyone else been in this situation ?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 PM

I am with you...I don't like it either. Along with just living together. BUT ... I wont lose a family member over it. It is their life, their business. Sometimes it is very hard to keep my mouth shut but I try to, I made my share of mistakes I am sure my parents did not like and they will do the same!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 PM

I would say I love you and I am here for you if you need me. Surely this is the truth so it shouldn't be hard for you to say. She apparently knows how you feel or she wouldn't hesitate to call and tell you about the baby. I feel sure she is scared as it's not going to be fun nor easy being a single mother. She needs the love and support of her family during this time and I hope you can be there for her.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:16 PM

i have a grandaughter that is single and Pregnet and only 18 believe me I thought of plenty of things I WANTED to say but I thought about it and instead I congratulated her and we talked about the baby to be and how precious babies are. It certainly paid off for me to do that. She used to call me maybe once a month but because I am suporitive of her she now calls me everyday and we have created a bond that is very strong. I am so glad I didn't say the first thing that came to my mind because than we wouldn't have this wonderful bond' I may not like it but I can't change it and times have changed a lot since I was young
Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 PM

Yes they certainly have and now it is so common for young people to live together and have children and not bat an eye about it. It is certainly not our style (the older generation) but we must love them and support them and hope they see the light and do the right thing.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:30 PM

While children ARE precious gifts from God, I am raising two grandchildren (by two different fathers) with very little involvement from my daughter. While it is not difficult to love the boys, it is very difficult not to be angry with the situation. I know the boys were put with me for a reason, but I have to admit, that while they give me great joy, I am not a very happy person.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:47 PM

I can't tell anyone what to do but I wouldn't give anything for my 21 YO grandson. He is the light of my life regardless of how he got here. Good Luck
Old 03-30-2012, 07:54 PM

Ahhh, I love your response. So sweet.

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I would say I love you and I am here for you if you need me. Surely this is the truth so it shouldn't be hard for you to say. She apparently knows how you feel or she wouldn't hesitate to call and tell you about the baby. I feel sure she is scared as it's not going to be fun nor easy being a single mother. She needs the love and support of her family during this time and I hope you can be there for her.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 PM

Just be nice.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:16 AM

A baby is a gift from God. Have a GGD that will be 2 in a few months. She is adorable and well loved by all of her family. Her parents are not married. Not the way I was raised, but also not my call to judge them.

mltquilt