Butter or Margarine

Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 AM

We to use all butter, and as rndelling said mwhip together equal parts butter and canola oil. Keep it in fridge and it still is spreadable. All butter for baking.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 AM

I had the job of squeezing the orange glob into the white junk in the 50's. I hated margarine then and still do today. I eat real butter very sparingly. At 50 I had heart test where they shoot pics and dr. gasped during my test. OMG I was alarmed and asked what was wrong. Dr said he couldn't believe it - not a speck anywhere. Had heart of 20 yr old. I thanked my dad for getting rid of oleo and only having butter once we could afford it. Now in my 60's and love butter but still only use it in small amounts. Thanks for letting us know what happened to the gunk that fell on your patio!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:36 AM

Yooper32. I remember it well! My folks never drove past a hitch-hiking serviceman either.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 AM

Oh yes. We were just thinking about that the other day. It was a hoot.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 AM

I agree with you wholeheartedly, the experts are definitely not expert...I have genetically high cholesterol and for the last 3+ years I have had an egg almost everyday and it has not gone up at all, but my good cholesterol has gotten better. Now they're saying eggs & shrimp are good for your cholesterol. My grandfather had super high cholesterol and grandmother really low. She changed their diet and hers shot way up, I think it's all in how our body metabolizes what we eat. On a side note, I am very anti statin drugs and my dr. put me on niaspan and my cholesterol is dropping quite a bit for the first time in 20 years!

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
We are also butter eaters here. I don't believe the "experts" are as expert as they claim. I have a friend who had high cholesterol for years, it was up to 320. She went on the diet, no butter, no red meat, no eggs, and took meds for 25 years. The lowest cholesterol reading she was ever able to get to was 240. Then, she started breaking out in rashes, went to lots of doctors who did nothing to find what the cause was, only prescribed creams for the rash. She finally went to a naturalist (amazing, since she's the very definition of a skeptic), did some testing. She had to stop eating all corn products, flour, soy, sugar, and everything processed. But, she DID start eating red meat, eggs, and clarified butter. Her cholesterol dropped to 200!!!

FYI, while I agree with those who dislike margarine, the "one molecule away from plastic" argument doesn't impress me much - hydrogen peroxide is only one molecule away from water, lol.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 AM

Anything natural is better than chemicals they use to make fake butter.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 AM

we use butter - margarine is one molecule away from plastic!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:54 AM

I use Smart Balance, but there is a lot to be said about using foods with less chemicals. I stopped using fat-free half-n-half and use regular half-n-half. My cholesterol is still fine. I have been thinking of switching to butter since I don't use a lot of the spreads anyway.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Butter here. My dad would get sick if he had margarine so we always had the good stuff. When I got married it was just natural to stay with butter. I will pinch pennies in other things.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:45 PM

We switched to real butter long ago, its a natural product and the body knows what to do with it. Margarine is all fake and not good for ya.