Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored? >

Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored?

Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Yes, I get bored and not ashamed to admit it.
Dodee
Old 04-05-2012, 07:44 AM

Did any of you worry about making ends meet without your income from your job? Thats what keeps me from retiring. I keep thinking how my income will be cut in half (SS doesn't pay much when you retire before 66!!) But I want to retire NOW!!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 AM
elm

Originally Posted by alabam49 View Post
Did any of you worry about making ends meet without your income from your job? Thats what keeps me from retiring. I keep thinking how my income will be cut in half (SS doesn't pay much when you retire before 66!!) But I want to retire NOW!!
I understand your worry. For about a year before I retired, I had dreams in which I was a bag lady. I'm lucky because I have a pension. I had to move out of the state I lived in because retirement money wouldn't have stretched enough to live there at the same level as when I was working. Life is good. I'm careful with my money and am able to take a vacation once a year and also visit my family.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by alabam49 View Post
We've had to make a couple of lifestyle changes. We don't eat out much anymore. The biggest change is we've made is we had season tickets to the university football and basketball games. We made the decision not to renew the basketball tickets and are saving ourselves $3400. None of our kids live here and we said if the tickets made our finances difficult we would sell them.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I'm never bored, but then I'm pretty easily amused. Maybe your sister needs to get into quilting?
She bought a new machine last summer and I don't think she has done anything with it!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 AM

NEVER!!!!! EVER!!! actually there is not enough hours in a day to do all i want to do!!!
Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I retired last May, so almost a year. My mother, who never believed in naps and was like a drill sergeant when we were growing up, is constantly asking me what I am doing to keep myself busy so I don't get bored. She is 96, lives in assisted living home, and I'm sure gets bored a lot.

So far, I have loved retirement! I try to do a little house cleaning each day, quilt/embroider/sew, read, exercise, and of course the necessary errands. I have a sister who was laid off almost two years ago and can't find a job, so it's like she's retired. She gets bored and wants to find some kind of the house.

Does anyone ever get bored?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM

I retired 2 years ago after 25 years with the State. I retired at 64 because I got pissed off at work one Friday and retired on Monday. I lOOOVE it! Yes, I felt guilty the first year, but I am such a happier person. Money does worry me, but will cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 AM

My husband retired this year - too soon, too soon! He's now 59, hated his job, up and retired. SOOOO our income went down when i hadn't expected it to and ... he's home all day. So I won't be retiring anytime soon. I teach school and teach 23 piano students in the hours after school - until 8:00 PM 4 days a week. I've always taught piano, but limited it to 15 kids. Right now I just don't expect to ever retire. Not enough money and currently don't want to be home watching hubby do ... not much! My biggest worry is that I'll get so resentful that we'll both be miserable.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 AM

Never get bored. Been retired for almost 4 years now. I retired early at 62. My husband is 6 years younger than I so still works. So I have the house to myself all day. We live in the boonies so it is not tempting for me to run to town often. Only when absolutely necessary. There are weeks I never leave the property. Love to garden, have a huge yard that i take care of, for years I had a huge veggie garden but that has gotten a lot smaller over the last few years. I love to quilt and do that when I'm not doing the little housework that I do. I have a cleaning company come in once a month to do the heavy cleaning. I am so grateful to be able to retire while I'm still in good enough health to really enjoy it. I have degenerative disk disease in my back which limits physical activities somewhat. I have one 4 year old (almost) granddaughter that I get to see about once a month and I LOVE life. I don't know how I did all that I did and held down a full time, demanding job that I did for so many years (48) before I retired. I worked from the time I was 14 (carhop at the local Dog N Suds for 4 years while in high school) then was a bookkeeper for over 30 years and did other clerical type jobs. Also raised a child, sewed all my own clothes, cooked, active in Church, etc, etc. You know the drill. Now I feel like a lady of leisure as I don't do anything unless I want to. Bored? Never.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine View Post
Bored - never. I do as little household chores as possible ( I have dust bunnies everywhere) but no one sees my house but me and my husband. We very seldom have visitors as we live so far out from everything and everyone. I read, watch a little tv (mostly for news), quilt, do a "little" exercise, go shopping when I want to, take a nap, and never get bored. I love my retirement - been retired since 1995 after 37 yrs of working. Now I work on my own time and do what I want to when I want to.
You sound like me. When I retired my husband told me that I could do whatever I wanted to do and didn't have to do anything I didn't want to do. I took him literally. I hate house work and I don't do it till I get tired of looking at it. I have lots of dust bunnies too only we call them phantom cats. Have 2 long hair cats that shed all year. I have been retired since 2001 but I have missed going someplace every day and having a purpose. So I became a substitute teacher and always have at least one work day a week. Some times as many as 3 or 4. Gives me spending money and someplace to go and people to be around. Love it. Just wish my old body wasn't trying to wear out. But I have time to do or not do.