Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored? >

Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored?

Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 AM

I loved my job but was laid off nearly 3 years ago so yes I do get bored. I am not used to being home all the time with no people contact. I have gotten lazy about much housework. I think it is depression. My husband wants me to find another job but at 59 where? and to drive 50 miles for part time or minimum wadge with gas prices as they are? Well I will just take a nap!!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Not bored--never been bored.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM

It is amazing how much stuff there is to do both necessities and the fun. I have several things at church I'm involved in and have a productive life. I do have a friend that went back to work because she got so bored - could never figure that out.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:19 PM

I NEVER get bored. I've been retired about 11 years, and I'm so busy now, I don't know how I worked. I sometimes wish for a little downtime.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM

I never get bored. There is always something to do.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
My husband retired this year - too soon, too soon! He's now 59, hated his job, up and retired. SOOOO our income went down when i hadn't expected it to and ... he's home all day. So I won't be retiring anytime soon. I teach school and teach 23 piano students in the hours after school - until 8:00 PM 4 days a week. I've always taught piano, but limited it to 15 kids. Right now I just don't expect to ever retire. Not enough money and currently don't want to be home watching hubby do ... not much! My biggest worry is that I'll get so resentful that we'll both be miserable.
my husband retired in 09 one year later PBGc took over and cut his pension by1,000 dollars a month. it is amazing that he can watch tv so long. I get bored. Well even with our home and cars paid off it has been tuff. I find I have to ask for help as i work 40 hrs a week and often 50hrs. So tonight to get his attention I set 3 trash cans on the on the front porch and left for work. yeap they where there when I came home. I can step over them and did. Finally he asked what they where doing there. I said I am waiting on santa to take care of them. Thick! I can wait him out.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:07 PM

I NEVER get bored except when I am sick. LOL Then I can'd so what I really want to do. (mostly cause I am too darn tired) But seriously, I REALLY LOVE RETIREMENT
Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM

I just retired a little over a month ago. Well, I kinda got forced into it because of health, but I was going to retire just after the first of next year anyway. Our shed burned down just before Valentines Day & the insurance company paid for a new one. My DH said...here's your new studio! 420 square feet!! WOOHOO! He also knew I'd been hunting for a year for a longarm & one popped up at the right time...I bought it & it's just about set up for use. Of course, the building only came with insulation...no electric, etc. So, spent almost 2 weeks installing electrical outlets, main fuse panel, lighting, paneling, carpet, plus stairs & a porch. Now it's time to move my sewing room into the new building. I'll have that done before the weekend is over. Then it's organizing & quilting! Bored?? Who has time???
Old 04-05-2012, 04:18 PM

Oh my gosh NO.....wonder how I ever found the time to work. I am so busy all the time and the clock just seems to turn too fast
Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM

Loved reading everyones comments. My retirement is fast approaching so this gives me inspiration from all you wonderful people. I hope boredom doesn't strike me. I enjoy crafting and sewing but do agree that sometimes gets to be too much and the social part is so important. I guess its all about BALANCE!!