Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas >

Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas

Need Your Help - Dog With Fleas

Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 AM

I used borax with the salt on the carpet and furniture. You have wash everything that isn't nailed down, I added some Selsun Blue shampoo to Moira's shampoo to help with the itching when I bathed her . Moira is allergic to flea saliva so I have to be extra vivgilant. Thank goodness, Lily isn't, too. Flea colar in vac bag, yes, but they are too toxic for the dogs - even the 'natural' ones . I use Vectra D on Moira and Frontline Plus or WalMart's knockoff, Pet Armor Plus, on Lily. When I tried to use some really good natural stuff, Moira had a terrible time so the poison once a month is a little better. I do spray both of them with Critter Oil before we go to the woods or beach and put lime on their play area.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Well, I gave him the Comfortis this morning at 8:30 and he is doing much better. I believe this is about a 96% change. He sleeps for much longer periods of time and does not scratch and chew at himself very much at all. We have the salt down all over and tonight I will add a dish of soapy water near a night light and see if I can kill of some more of the little buggers.

I feel a lot better knowing that he feels better. Thanks so much.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 AM

Frontline is the most effective. Well worth the$. I have 6 dogs 2 cats!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:44 AM

This is a real easy way to get rid of fleas, use a night light and a basin of soapy water. It needs to have a layer of bubbles over the water, I use a wire whisk to make bubbles. Leave this under the night light for the night. the room needs to be dark. All the fleas like light and jump in the bubbles. the bubbles won't let them jump back out-- they drown!!! You will be surprised how many fleas are dead in the morning. We used this when we had our spaniel, and it works. Better than chemicals and pills.

Ginnie
Old 04-06-2012, 04:39 AM

Frontline makes a new flea product called Certifect - it kills fleas and releases ticks. I use this product on my dogs about every 3 months and it seems to work great. Frontline wasn't working anymore so I tried Comfortis - my dogs hated the taste - it was a battle getting them to take it, so tired Certifect (which is supposed to replace Frontline). Your vet office should carry it.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

A lot of the cheaper dog shampoos will strip off your dog's flea protection, if you are using a "spot on" type medicine on their shoulder area... You need an oatmeal type shampoo from the vet or reputable pet store. Check with your vet to see if the shampoo is compatible with your flea medicine. Those meds cost too much to have the shampoo just strip them away...

We have been using Advantage Multi for fleas and heartworms, all in one. The vet recommended it and it's worked well.

Also, if your dog has had fleas you may need to treat them for tapeworm too. They get a tapeworm from eating their fleas!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:21 AM

I live in an apartment - the complex does very little to control fleas in the common areas so I use Comfortis for my cocker spaniel - she has been on it for 9 months now and I haven't seen a flea on her or on me! My son also uses it on his 3 dogs and does not have an issue. I have tried all over the counter brands but they just aren't strong enough. Good luck - they do make you feel like creepy bugs crawling on you.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 AM

Ticks and fleas are horrid this year. My vet told me to use the topical every month this year. My lab has had 8 ticks so far this year and the kelpie has had 2.
I use Frontline and crushed garlic-one clove or about 1/2 teaspoon- in the food. Less with small dogs.
Benedryl will help with the scratching and inching.
With 3 dogs and 4 cats I can't afford fleas!!
Will try the cider vinegar in the water trick.
Love this board for all the neat tricks and experience that gets passed around!!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 AM

I have used borax, sold as 20 Mule team borax in the laundry isle, on the carpets and crevices along baseboards for the fleas. Put it down and leave it. Sprinkle on the carpets, let set overnight if possible, then vacuum off the carpet. Leave the borax in the crevices for 3-4 days. This kills other bugs, not just fleas.
Then, I use Frontline to keep the dog and cat free of fleas once we got the &*#$& fleas gone. Frontline works for ticks too. It is a pill and now available from farm equipment department stores such as, Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply.
Good Luck. Don't forget that while you are getting the fleas off your animals, you may be bringing them also. they like white socks, and are visible on them.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 AM

Try spraying your dog with skin so soft from Avon. I used for years on my dog,s and no flees or ticks. Spray on after you bathe your dog or cat. It will work.And if you have flees in your carpet, then spray it too.