Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored? >

Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored?

Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 AM

Before I retired 5 1/2 years ago, I asked a former colleague who'd retired a year earlier what it was like. What she said just shocked me to my core: "If there's something I need or want to do and then decide I really don't want to, I just put it off till tomorrow." What?? As you know, when you're working, every minute is scheduled, all your errands are mapped out, all your chores in a list to be marked off, all your "free" time preciously doled out. W E L L, it turns out, I quickly adjusted to the "do it when you feel like it" way of doing things. I still get 'er done, but the stress is gone! And, I'm never, ever bored.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 AM

I have been retired 28 years because I took an early retirement to care for my husband so I do everything. I knew I would outlive him so planned to keep busy. I am in writing groups and write memoirs, learned to quilt and have made nearly 40 queen sized quilts, garden with some help, now that I am alone, take care of a tri-level house on the side of a hill, volunteer all day one day a week, belong to a quilt guild and fabric arts group and love my life. I am now almost 86, drive, clean, quilt,and read and take classes. Bored? What's that? I leave on a two week cruise on Friday the 13th, next Friday so must get busy packing. Anyone whose bored needs to get moving.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM

never ever. Quilting, ponies ,gardening, walking. Just a few of the things I do.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:21 AM
QM
Power Poster

I get bored when I have to wait somewhere, so I take a book or handwork. I get bored MUCH less than when I was working. (All those incredibly time wasting meetings!) Quilting is always a pleasure.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:09 AM

I am too busy PLAYING to get bored. My DH and I are both widowed so we treasure every minute. We do what we want, when we want. We are taking his Yankee butt to the Grits Festival next weekend! We take off on our trikes (three wheel motorcycles) or do road trips in the car when we feel like it. Spontaneity is the operative word in our lives. We make an adventure out of everything! I get to piece tops for Project Linus when he's fishing but I get to watch him if he fishes off our pier. This is the best of times. Bored, NAH. . . PLAYING!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Please give me the chance to be bored. I want to retire so badly I can taste it.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by JanP View Post
Before I retired 5 1/2 years ago, I asked a former colleague who'd retired a year earlier what it was like. What she said just shocked me to my core: "If there's something I need or want to do and then decide I really don't want to, I just put it off till tomorrow." What?? As you know, when you're working, every minute is scheduled, all your errands are mapped out, all your chores in a list to be marked off, all your "free" time preciously doled out. W E L L, it turns out, I quickly adjusted to the "do it when you feel like it" way of doing things. I still get 'er done, but the stress is gone! And, I'm never, ever bored.
My daughters are 33 & 35. The older one has two kids, 11 months apart and the oldest one is 16 months. She just started back to work a month ago after having been laid off two months before the first baby was born. My younger daughter has two boys, 4 & 1, and she works as a critical care nurse, and she works 12 hour days, plus she's working on her masters.

Both of their lives are hectic, and I remember going through all of that. I remember having long, long days and the hectic times of meals, baths, bedtime stories, and waking up to do it all over again.

I love being able to relax and do nothing if I don't want to.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 AM
elm

Originally Posted by mhansen6 View Post
Please give me the chance to be bored. I want to retire so badly I can taste it.
Good. That means you are emotionally ready. Have you started making lists, or dreaming about all the things you want to do with your time. The best thing for me is that I'm in charge of my schedule. Also, I keep all my activities and appointments on a large weeksly calendar. If it starts looking too full, I know I'm in charge and can decide what to change or cancel. Start dreaming and thinking about posibilities. It will help with the transition.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Wink

OK PEOPLE! Enough already! I'm soooooo jealous! Two more years of teaching and I'll be free!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:01 PM

I am with you Quilt-Till-You-Wilt. I am on a disability pension and cannot work because of my back. I clean up my house in the morning and because of a sleep problem bought on by some medications given to me by a doctor am now only be able to do things for 2hours before I have to return to bed for 2-21/2hours rest. I am alright after that. I would like to know how to fix the problem. I like to sew,read and watch favorite programs on TV. I have to fight my cat for the use of the sewing machine and the cutting table as these are her places to sleep. I do not get bored unless it is when DH is watching HIS things on TV. Then I come to the computer to read emails or go onto Facebook.