Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:55 PM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
Fab-ra-holic... I love what you did with your various borders. That Halloween step effect is one I hadn't really considered b4..Going to have to try that in Q shortly. Is the dental border a 'frayed edged' on polar fleece perhaps? Hard to tell from here.. It looks that like me you are best friends with a large roll of Wonder Under. I just had a large roll sent down here to Chile so I could stop worrying about every 1/16" I used.

Lots of creativity in these. Are you thinking of doing any of the challenges? Looks like you'd be darned good at them
Suzie,
Thank you for the compliments. In answer to your question about the dental border, yes, that is frayed polar fleece. As for the step effect on the Halloween banner, I wanted a "lightening" effect, that is how I came up with that idea.
As for Wonder Under, you are right on! I became best friends with it, however, it did not make nice with my sewing machine. They did not get along at all. It was my first real applique piece and I didn't know any better so I was using a non-sewing type. I have come a long way since then. As for the challenges, right now I am knee deep in projects to get done but I will keep following this thread and see what the future brings. Thanks again for the compliments.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:59 PM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

Originally Posted by Judebug View Post
Fab-ra-holic you definitely have a creative and imaginative mind. Your pictorial quilts are filled with humorous content. I agree that your borders are an added point of interest. I can see a lot of love, time and thought went into your creations. I'm with Suzie ~ I hope you join us on our challenges! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Judebug. I am glad you noticed the humor in my pieces, that is what made it so much fun for me. I enjoy doing "out-of-the-ordinary" things. I will follow along with all of you on this thread. It's very interesting.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 PM

Judebug, Thanks for the squinting eye suggestion and I use critiques as a learning tool/lesson.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 AM

I love, love your kittie quilt!!! That is AMAZING!!
The floral one is 12" square. Background fabric was created by weaving two different hand dyed cottons. All the flowers were made from the trimmed selvage ends of a batik jelly roll. The largest flower center is a Fimo Art Clay cabochon. I couched a Japanese Kumihimo braid around the quilt edge for texture.

My "Double Trouble" cats fishing quilt is one of my favorite original designs. It just won a Blue Ribbon People's Choice for Favorite Cat Theme at our local Friends of Pets fundraiser. I bought the quilt back because I loved it so much.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 AM

I have used sticks, recycled copper wiring, computer keyboard keys, seashells, leather, old keys. I like challenging myself, it's fun to figure out how to use different things on quilts. I had to drill a small hole in the keyboard keys to use them like a bead.

Wish I had a photo to share, I had a computer crash in Jan. and lost most all my photos I'd saved, I've since purchased a external hard drive which I backup everyday! I haven't made but a couple of small quiltlets this year, will have to take a pix and upload them later today. Thanks for starting the thread!

I'm specifically interested in finding out who among our Quilting Board Members are actively creating 'Art Quilts'? What mediums do you incorporate into your quilts besides fabric? Share with us how and when you started making art quilts. Definitely show us some of your work!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
I love, love your kittie quilt!!! That is AMAZING!!
Bless you for your kind words. I'm humbled when others enjoy the things I make and take the time to say so. Thank you.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 PM

Today was one of those undeniably wonderful days for me. I just had to share my excitement. After a full day of errands, I was pulling onto my street when I noticed an Estate Sale sign on the adjacent culdesac. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular but felt I just needed to check it out. Often times I pass them up so this was really meant to be... I bought a working Bernina 1090 sewing machine for $200! My husband bought me the exact model in 1995 for $1500. and I have logged uncountable hours of creative sewing on it without a lick of problems in all that time. I'll get my bargain machine cleaned and serviced as a back up. I couldn't be more delighted. Usually I read about everyone else stumbling into great finds. Oh happy day. It finally happened to me.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Ani I know how devastating a computer wipe out is. It happened to me on a 2 yr old computer and took me totally by surprise. That's one of the reasons I started a blog to upload my creative photos off my computer as a backup and act as a journalistic timeline. I really should get an external hard drive like you have done too. Please do share some photos with us. It sounds like you have been fearless in using mixed-media and could give us some great ideas. Just a side note: my best friend lives in Cary, NC. and I visited your beautiful state in 2010.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
Hey all you lurkers...I just know there are some experimenters out there with works on the corner of the table that you are not sure about or sort of dissatisfied with. Put 'em on up and get some feed back for possible ways to improve that UFO you put aside.

BTW I can't wait to give you all next month's challenge but since there are still 10 days in April you have plenty of time to get your creativity happening on this month's 'homework'.

So how about today you throw some fabrics on the design wall and play a bit? Loosening up and not worrying about what you are making might help free up some of your hidden artistic side. Any Black, white and color will do and any slap dash technique will suffice........C'mon out and play...............
Hey Suzie! Although I haven't finished all my color/black/white pieces yet I am already anticipating whatever challenge idea you have dreamed up for May. Would you please post your challenge on Monday April 30th. Thanks for you enthusiastic response and additional encouragement on this thread. The internet has certainly enabled art quilters to come together from all areas of the globe to play and share their creative journeys. Hope to see some photos this weekend before the next challenge is posted. Don't be shy!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:30 AM

Today was one of those undeniably wonderful days for me. I just had to share my excitement. After a full day of errands, I was pulling onto my street when I noticed an Estate Sale sign on the adjacent culdesac. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular but felt I just needed to check it out. Often times I pass them up so this was really meant to be... I bought a working Bernina 1090 sewing machine for $200! My husband bought me the exact model in 1995 for $1500. and I have logged uncountable hours of creative sewing on it without a lick of problems in all that time. I'll get my bargain machine cleaned and serviced as a back up. I couldn't be more delighted. Usually I read about everyone else stumbling into great finds. Oh happy day. It finally happened to me.

Congratulations! I love my vintage Singers but I have two Berninas: one is my original 1970s Bernina 830 and the other is a 2004 Artista. The 830 even survived my then 3 year old son who decided to help Mommy by washing it with a spray bottle of water!