Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Machines >

Embroidery Machines

Embroidery Machines

Old 09-07-2009, 08:43 PM

dear the brother they are talking about is most likely what you want i have the inov'is an it was a whole lot more than you want to give but i got mine when i really had the money to get it an my hubby didnt say a word against it.all he said was what ever you want.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 AM

I would like to get an embroidery machine that will quilt a large block with just outline designs. And it must be able to do that on a large quilt.
I have seen the big new machines that cost a fortune and have a large embroidery hoop. But can you do it on a large quilt?
The small space embroidery machines make too small of a design.
Is there a reasonably priced machine that will do this.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 PM

I don't know how good it is, but HSN had a really nice looking singer today. MRP @1500.00 for around $760.00. It was on flex pay and also came with a walking foot, a serger foot, and a free motion foot. It really appeared to have a lot of design elements included. Might be worth looking into.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 PM

I am only familiar with the Husqvarna Viking machines....they are excellent machines...only, I am afraid way out of your price range right now! You could possibly get a used Viking for under a couple thousand...new ones run anywhere from 6-12,000. I am just getting into embroidery and I have an older Viking Rose which you could probably get (used) for 5-700. However, I am frustrated with it due to its limitations on hoop size and designs. I would not have purchased this machine...it was my late mother-in-law's machine. I will be trading up when my girls graduate from colleg. My advice to you...try out several and get the most capability for what you can afford.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 PM

Actually, I have the Brother Quattro. It is WAY out of your desired price range. (I got an excellent 'buy' on it while it was on sale) It does everything but clean my house!! The problem is, it is taking me a long time to learn how to do all the things the machine can do! I can pull up a design & embroider it & do a few semi-complicated things with it but I did have 5 lessons with a sales person/teacher from the store where I bought it, All the stores offer lessons with a purchase, as far as I know? Most machines come with 3-4 hoops. This one has 5! But they are all sizes. Husquavarna Viking has the biggest hoop I know of right now. Your best bet is to look online for a used machine. You can get them for a few hundred dollars or less! it's a good place to start! But then, you don't get lessons. Unless you know someone who can help you get started, it's tough by yourself. As far as the design size is concerned, it depends on what you buy! On Thimbleberries & EM, they have quilt designs that are just outlines. Sometimes you can buy one of several different sizes of a design & you can change the size on the machine, too! I have several & they work quite well on quilts. No stabilizer is needed with quilts! good luck & have fun! :lol:
Old 09-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
In my experience the machine is just the beginning. There is special thread, stabilizers and of course designs. Any machine will come with some basic stuff like different fonts for alphabets. It will probably have a number of designs for labels and a smattering of different subjects. Once you get into embroidery designs it is like M&Ms you can't eat just one. I probably have $2000 tied up in additional designs. I would be willing to bet that I have not used more than 25% of them. Like everything else the techknowledgey keeps changing and there is always something new. Be prepared to become addicted.
Boy -- is mpspeedy correct. I cannot not begin to add up my investment. MUCH more than 2k!! over the period of 8 years. The machine, then the designs, threads,etc, next the software, add hoops, then more designs, then a better machine . . . It never ends :-)

Here is my 2¢ worth - on your question. I have had an Embroidery machine for many years and have sold them as well. I have embroidered on Babylock, Bernina, Viking and Pfaff. You may not "need" thousands of stitches BUT do not sell yourself short - purchase something that gives you a little flexibility.

1) You are better off purchasing a good used medium line machine from a dealer (or at least a machine that has a dealer nearby that can service it) rather than purchasing a new lower cost bottom line machine.

2) For best results, you REALLY will need embroidery thread and stabilizer. While you may get away with using other threads - it is not recommended and each machine has it's own quirks. You also run the risk of breaking thread and needles. My old Babylock would embroider with cheap embroidery thread - my current Pfaff only wants premium thread.

3) Designs - You do get what you pay for. That being said, there are some great sites that have down loadable designs that are really good. ALWAYS stitch out free or downloaded designs before you put it on your final piece. Purchase designs CAREFULLY off of Ebay. There is an Embroidery Coalition that has targeted Ebay purchasers who have unknowingly purchased pirated designs.

4) How big is the design area - and how many hoops are provided? What do you want to do with it??

5) How are the designs loaded? If you must "purchase" designs on preloaded proprietary cards this may add many $$ over the course of ownership. Some of the older machines use floppies - old technology but you can load the designs on machines with out expensive transfer programs!!

Good luck - Craigslist is a great place to look - I bought my Pfaff off of it. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 PM

The dealer I buy my machines from gives free lessons for the lifetime of the machine as long as you own it. He does this for all machines bought from his shop. I've been dealing with him for 25 years and he still helps me with a machine I bought 25 years ago. I know I'm very lucky because other shops I've looked at don't offer this service (without a fee) and their personnel aren't as knowledgeable about all their products.

If you think you'll want/need personal attention I would check out your local independent dealers and find out what kind of service they offer, check with others that have bought from the shop and find out if they are happy with their service. Nothing is more frustrating than buying a machine and then being stuck reading a manual and trying to decipher it into "user" english, with no-one to call without paying for their help.

As others have stated, there's your further investment in threads, designs, etc. Some designs come on CD's and you need to have the software/hardware to put it onto a card to put into your machine. A blank card runs about $125. Plus, do you have a computer to make this transition? to the card reader that you have to buy. There are so many variables. If this is your first venture into an embroidery machine I would suggest you go to a local dealer if for information about all that is involved, even if you don't buy from them (but don't tell them that).

All this being said, when you get your embroidery machine you'll go nuts with all that you want to do and you will thoroughly enjoy it. It is good that you are asking questions and doing your research. You will go forward more informed and be able to ask questions.

It's a big investment so take your time. JMHO
Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Hello Jane! I purchased the Emore machine by Baby Lock and I think they are down to around $599... It is embroidery only, which is what I wanted as I love my Husqvarna Sapphire that I have had for a few years and didn't want to RE-Learn anything! It is Very simple and easy to operate. Can leave for few months and come back and use with out having to re-read manual on how to operate!
I down load free designs from internet and use what colors I have...I don't run out and purchase new colors all the time...for example I use the "cornflower" blue that I have instead of the "ocean" blue the pattern asks for. No one but you has to know the Exact color!!! Purchased clearance embroidery thread from JoAnn's when I first got machine, and have found close colors every design I have done. When ever someone has a clearanced color, I pick up.
Stabalizers I only use on really thin materials...
Good Luck!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:19 AM

Two years ago I purchased a Babylock Ellegante with all the bells and whistles for about $6000. I wish I had purchased two cheaper machines instead, one for general sewing and piecing and the other for embroidery.
Although I love my Ellegante, it is so big I have a hard time taking it to classes. I've only tried once to check out the embroidery features on it, but it takes a little time to set the machine up for embroidery. Much easier to have a separate machine already set up than to switch back and forth.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:08 AM

Jane
I purchased a Singer furtura 200 about 2 years ago. It was a great start up machine. You can download designs right from the internet. The largest size hoop is 5x7. I love machine embroidery so much that I bought a Baby Lock Ellegante2 in May. If you are interested in a beginner machine check on line at sewvacdirect. That is where I go my singer. The folks there are great. But if you truly want a top of the line go with Baby Lock. They are so simple to use. I have not taken the FREE classes that came with the machine. The instruction manuals are so detailed that you will be embroidering before you know it. I have made 3 quilts and am starting my 4th. I would be more than happy to talk to you about the Singer machine,
Good Luck to you :D