Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Machines >

Embroidery Machines

Embroidery Machines

Old 09-03-2009, 11:00 AM

Hi Everyone,
I have been reading the message board for quite a while and have really enjoyed all of the comments and topics. I am new to the quilting world and I enjoy learning and viewing the projects that you all have made. I would like some feedback on Embroidery machines. I am looking for a not - so expensive embroidery maching - somewhere around $500.00. I have seen (online) the Brother machine and also the Janome (embroidery only). I am open for suggestions. I do not want to spend thousands of dollars and I don't need thousands of stitches. Any Ideas?
Thanks so much, Jane
Old 09-03-2009, 11:07 AM

I purchased the Brother SE350 in March from Amazon.com and LOVE it I suggest you get the PED basic right away to download designs off the internet they have the machine for 379.00 and PE Basic is 119.00. I use it almost every day and it sews great, Lots of free designs on the internet, I have a few thousand downloaded now.
I had it in 2 days from the day I ordered too!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/17748.page
Old 09-03-2009, 11:11 AM

In my experience the machine is just the beginning. There is special thread, stabilizers and of course designs. Any machine will come with some basic stuff like different fonts for alphabets. It will probably have a number of designs for labels and a smattering of different subjects. Once you get into embroidery designs it is like M&Ms you can't eat just one. I probably have $2000 tied up in additional designs. I would be willing to bet that I have not used more than 25% of them. Like everything else the techknowledgey keeps changing and there is always something new. Be prepared to become addicted.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 AM

I don't use special thread on mine, I buy the $1.99 cones from Joanns once I learned to adjust the tension it worked fine. I do not always use interfacing, unless it is thin fabric. All the designs I get are the free ones and there is a great variety. If you go to search on the top of the page and type in ME Embroidery a ton of links will come up.

It is addicting!!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 AM

Welcome from Southern California! Can't help you on a embroidery machine, I have a Bernina with an em unit on it, but it's way expensive
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Hi and Welcome from southern Indiana!

I really can't advise you on buying an embroidery machine. My first one was a used Brother and I really loved it. But there were limitations (field size, could only use Brother design cards, etc.) But it did teach me a lot and got me ready for a bigger embroidery machine. Buy the best you can afford and have fun! :D

Old 09-03-2009, 03:47 PM

The Brother 700ii is a great machine and so is the Janome 350e (not the 300 - the 300 is older and lacking a lot of nice features) I used to have a 350e and loved it. I sold it and bought a MB4 which I am in the process of selling to pay for my long arm... I will be getting another embroidery machine though - but I'll be downsizing from the MB4 to a Brother.

You can't go wrong with the Brother 700ii or the Janome 350e. There are dedicated users of both.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

I have a Brother PE750D and I love it.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:45 PM

Chck Craigslist and Sewitsforsale for used machines.
You can pick up some great deals there!
K
Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 PM

I started with a Brother 8500 but it was limited in what it could do so upgraded it to a Brother ULT 2300D. I was very happy with that until I began having trouble with it. Later found out it was the design, NOT the machine! Upgraded again to their top of the line. Don't go there! I was happier with the ULT which has since been discontinued. The new one requires much more technical knowledge than I feel I have. I have looked at the Husquavarna machines at Joanns. Don't know if you have them where you are but their finished products look very nice & I think thery are inexpensive. you might want to look at them Or get one of the smaller Brother machines. But, they're right about the designs. You need the software to get the free designs. I have PE 8 now. Probably have thousands of designs & don't use 1/4 of them! Watch EmbLibrary.com for great sales! & you'll need a variety of stabilizers. More important than your thread! Although, I've used many different brands of threads & some are great while others are terrible! So, plan on spending a lot of time, it just flies by once you get in front of that machine!! Enjoy! It's fascinating!