Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bobbins running out quickly... what to do? >

bobbins running out quickly... what to do?

bobbins running out quickly... what to do?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:41 AM
cjc

Put this on your Christmas list....Sidewinder.. My husband bought me one for Christmas last year and it's great! I wind several at a time before I begin a project but if I use them all, I still don't have to unthread my machine to wind another bobbin.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 AM

hancock fabrics carries a little machine called the Side Winder. I don't know how good they are but am tempted to give it a try. the cost is 19.95.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:09 PM

The sidewinder was really fast when I wound some Metrosene bobbins, however I wasn't sure what to do about coned threads. My makeshift thread holders, a vase and a large mug, didn't work, but an "official" coneholder with a thread guide probably would.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Joyce Ann
Good solution for scrap threads. Does anyone have any other ideas. I have lots of bobbins with just a little thread left on them. I would like to know what everyone else does with th left over thread.
I use it for my handsewing. If I need to sew on a dodad or a button, and for my handquilting, it is so much easier to carry around than a spool.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Joyce Ann
Good solution for scrap threads. Does anyone have any other ideas. I have lots of bobbins with just a little thread left on them. I would like to know what everyone else does with th left over thread.
I will frequently put my almost empty bobbins on top of the machine and use up the thread with piecing, or with trying out new stitches or FMQ practice! You can easily keep track of when it runs out and you are not wasting thread.
I also use it for handsewing on the back of the binding and the labels.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:47 PM

For Joyce Ann: I keep my spools when my regular sewing thread runs out, then when I take thread off a bobbin I just wind it on there. I can put at least 3 or 4 colors on there & use for mending, etc. I have an emb machine & the thread for it can get expensive, so I definitely try to save it.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:18 PM

thanks so much for the link...the colors are wonderful
Old 09-11-2009, 07:04 AM

OK, I gave in & bought the bobbin winder from Hancock's. I really do like it. I can sit & refill them while my machine is embroidering something. I keep one box for machine embroider & one for regular sewing. Luckily I can buy Brother bobbins at Wally World for $3.00 for 8 so I try to buy some every time I have a little extra money. The winder does wind smooth & seems to fill up the bobbin better than my machine does. It can be a temperamental little heifer sometimes. So I guess just try & buy extra bobbins.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:25 AM

I have a SideWinder that I use EXCLUSIVELY for bobbin winding. I never use the bobbin winder on any of my sewing machines. I wind a dozen bobbins at a time so I always have one to pop in the machine and never have to unthread the feeder or top thread on the machine. I check the bobbin often but still run out now and then and find I have "sewn" a foot of fabric only to find it isn't sewn. I wish the sewing machine companies would figure out a way to have a little light come on or some way of letting the seamstress know the bobbin is getting low. A man can be sent to the moon, they've made computers, cell phones, palm-sized computers it seems to me a little warning light on a sewing machine would be pretty simple!! Maybe I'll see if I can invent such a thing and get filthy RICH with my invention. :wink:
Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 AM

I find that using the fine thread in the bobbins last a lot longer. I think sew fine thread is what I use and sulky. The quilting looks nice on the back also.