Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts? >

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

Wow...and here's me having a little fret fest over the fact my mother is using the quilt I made her back-side up! My sister tackled her about it a couple of weeks ago and she said....the front has a bright pattern and it clashes with the carpet (at that time she had carpet which was beige with giant bunches of roses on it - when I made the quilt I knew it was going to be replaced with plain). She now has new, plain carpet, so when I visit I'll see if she's flipped it right-side up
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 PM

I know this sounds selfish and awful but this is why I don't give quilts. I give to family but i say that lightly....My mother has a crocheted afghan I did and I getting ready to send her her second quilt item that is her requested memory table runner. I made my late gran arm chair covers because the leather was making her stick. I'm making my aunt a memory quilt she requested. No other family members get quilts, I don't care how much they ask. My one sister just wants a quilt so she can say she owns one, she wouldn't love it she would get it valued! She would be disappointed because I'm not a professional nor do I strive to be but knowing that I know she would not care about it the minute she gets told it's not worth $1,000 or more. I thank you guys for your tales and it truly breaks my heart because quilting really is a labor of love and I'm not capable of not caring what happens to the quilts I give so I just don't do it!!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM

Wow, more quilts end up with battery acid on them than I ever dreamed!

When our sons were in high school, they both played football; the oldest only for a couple years, but the younger played all through middle and high school. When he was a junior I made my first "completely done by me quilt" - it was an irish chain in the school colors (red and white) and had 4 appliqued cardinal heads (school mascot), and the center had the name of the school and the dates of the school year. I took a piece of the backing (muslin) and had all the team members and coaches sign it with a Pigma pen at a team dinner. Well, thankfully I never got around to applying it to the back of the quilt, because it ended up in the back of my younger son's SUV with...you guessed it ...a leaky battery. It has several holes in the backing. Fortunately I still have that piece with all the signatures on it, and some day I'll get around to fixing it (this was about 9 years ago!). He'll get it back eventually.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 AM

I feel for you about the dog house. I had a quilt sale once and it was under a pavillion and a lady came in with her small dog and it cocked its leg and peeed all over a white and pink double wedding ring quilt. Luckily I saw it and when she went to walk away and leave, I called her back and she had to purchase it.
But the one that comes to mind is a queen size quilt I made for my son and his fiance. I had 80 appliqued hearts on it, every one of them different and while she was studying one day on her bed, she had her little 4 yr old there coloring. She looked up and here the little girl had colored all over the top of the quilt in permanent markers. The background was white and it ruined the quilt. That relationship did not work out but my son still has the quilt on his bed so for Christmas this year he is getting a French Braid quilt that is more masculine done in oranges (his fav color) right up to rust with the accent color black. Can't wait to replace the old one.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:07 AM

My quilts have only gone to the most special people in my life. I just presented one to my youngest daughter and her boyfriend to celebrate their 5th year together. She helped choose the fabrics, and I know this quilt (and matching pillow shams) are already being cherished. This special couple has spent time in my home studio and know the endless hours involved in a quilt's creation. It's nice to know my art will be well cared for.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 AM

I'm at a loss for words, my heart ackes for you!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Ouchhh, that would royally tee me off! So sorry your quilt was so badly mistreated and unappreciated. Rather than loose a friend over this I would come clean and express my hurt. Some people are just not aware of how expensive quilts are to make not counting all the the love and hours poured into one. She may have just thought you whipped it up in a jiffy...she needs a quilt education for sure!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I made a quilt for a relative and later I found out that she had put it in her outside dog house. I was beside myself. I did such a good job on that quilt and paid a LA quilter to quilt it. I used expensive fabric and made nice blocks. It was a very pretty quilt. Now it is muddy and ripped and full of dog hair. How could someone do something like that? I now know that I have to rethink who I give my quilts to and to explain how much work and money went into them. I'm so mad at this gal who threw my quilt in the dog house, I could explode. And she has no clue I'm upset.
Same thing happened to my 2 of my quilts I made for my deceased brothers children 1 boy and 1 girl. I was fit to be tied so to speak.I made them another one and they could not leave my younger sisters house.So that solved that problem my brother was only 19 when he got killed in a wreck driving home from work.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 AM

That's EXACTLY why, when giving a quilt to someone, I specifically state to them the following:

This quilt means a lot to me as I made it for you. Please, whatever you do, do not ever let me come over and see it as a dog bed, being used to change the oil in your car or on the basement floor. If I do, I will take it back.

I've never had one complaint about saying that, and I've never seen one used that way!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 AM

The worst thing That ever happened to me was that a quilt that my husband and I dearly loved was taken from our home. It was a rude awakening. I miss that quilt so much as it was cross stitched by me and and machine quilted by a very talented lady. Who of my friends or family would do such a thing. I'd love to have it back with no questions asked. I could cry every time I think about it. Oh, there are many other quilts that I would have been happy to give to the person who borrowed the one we loved the most.