Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts? >

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 PM

OH MY GOSH !! How heartbreaking !! so sorry to hear that.. some people just don't deserve a beautiful quilt !
I too, would be sooo.. mad ! Hang in there.. go have some chocolate...
Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM

I would have been heart broken. I might appologize for giving her something that she didn't like and tell her that next time you will give her something more appropriate. Mark her off your quilt reciepent list. Some people just don't appreciate them.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 PM

I see that there are 13 pages on this thread & I haven't read 'em all. If this has already been discussed, disregard. At the FMQ class I went to we all went ta lunch together. While there we were discussing this. The Teacher said that when she gives a quilt to someone who doesn't know anything about quilts she pays for a quilt appraisal. (About 45$) When people discover how much it is worth they take care of 'em.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 PM

Let it go, but don't give her another thing that you make. If she didn't like it could of gave it back to you, but her flaw to even think of putting it in the dog house.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 AM

That is so sad. My story is, My very first quilt I made was for a family member on my husbands side. It was a baby quilt. I worked so hard on It .I gave it to them at a baby shower and she didn't even look at It she opened the box and just pushed It to the side and went on to say It wasn't from Sacks Fifth Avenue. I worked long hours on It I went to work a few days with NO sleep I worked on It all night. I didn't really know what I was doing then so the way she treated it really hurt. Then a few years later I started taking classes and I learned a lot and I could make It a lot faster
Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by allie1 View Post
That is so sad. My story is, My very first quilt I made was for a family member on my husbands side. It was a baby quilt. I worked so hard on It .I gave it to them at a baby shower and she didn't even look at It she opened the box and just pushed It to the side and went on to say It wasn't from Sacks Fifth Avenue. I worked long hours on It I went to work a few days with NO sleep I worked on It all night. I didn't really know what I was doing then so the way she treated it really hurt. Then a few years later I started taking classes and I learned a lot and I could make It a lot faster
I think I would have said, neither are your manners! and picked up the quilt and left. The woman had no class!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 AM

My very first quilt was given to my nephew. pics on board of train quilt. My sisters dog chewed part of the one corner. I just told myself once it's gifted it is no longer mine. BUT, I will make sure that people that are gifted quilts are people that will appreciate them. My dad requested a bed size quilt when he figured I'd make him and my mother one. He put it on his bad the very night I gave it to him! My mom's lap quilt is still folded up on a chair in her room. May still be in the bag.

Kyia
Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 AM

My paternal grandmother said that she wants to be buried with the lap quilt I made for her. My maternal grandmother loves hers as well and shows it to people who visit her house.

I know my mom likes hers, just doesn't have it out.

My nieces are excited to get one.

Kyia
Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
I see that there are 13 pages on this thread & I haven't read 'em all. If this has already been discussed, disregard. At the FMQ class I went to we all went ta lunch together. While there we were discussing this. The Teacher said that when she gives a quilt to someone who doesn't know anything about quilts she pays for a quilt appraisal. (About 45$) When people discover how much it is worth they take care of 'em.
I plan to have future quilts appraised so the people know their value. But some will not appreciate the love.

Kyia
Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 AM

I don't quite know how to feel about the one I finished for DHs stepmother after she went into the nursing home due to alzheimers.

It has disappeared...

I know she doesn't remember that I did it, but it was one she had started and she sort of recognized it when I gave it to her. Was hoping she would enjoy it. Just have to hope someone is using it...