Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric overload >

Fabric overload

Fabric overload

Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Trust me, I DO only wash and iron the stuff I'm keeping, so that's no problem. And I don't mind the sorting of it, in fact I enjoy that part. It's just a matter of too much fabric, too little time! Every piece I keep, I envision a pattern to use and the quilt that will result...but in the end no quilts get done.

I have many times felt paralyzed by my stash, and this load has added to that feeling immensely. Not too long ago I destashed, and it helped, and then all this fabric came. I guess I need to be tougher about what I will keep, but it's hard to let it go.

I do love fabric...
There must be otehr linus chapter that are screaming for fabric. Why not pass it along?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
I guess I just need to purge my own stash so I don't feel so overwhelmed...

absolutely NOT!!!...your stash is YOURS, to do your projects and to make YOU happy...purge some of the other stuff..make it into kits and tell the others they have to do their part as well!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts View Post
I made some PL quilts, and the fabric I received wasn't washed. I don't wash my fabrics, except for flannel, dark colors, and something I think might shrink a lot. But if you HAVE ti wash it, then just 'swish it a few times in the machine, then dry it. There will be less fraying, and ironing involved. And Bless your heart for being involved in Project Linus!

uumm..NO,,,,as you never know where it was kept before it was donated and you are making quilts for SICK kids...it really needs a very thorough wash, before and after!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:21 AM

Bless you. You deserve a BIG Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 AM

I wish I lived closer to you, as you can see I live in the central valley, I would be more than willing to help on one of my days off, I know what it's like to try to get donated items ready for use, you are doing a great deed for others, keep up the good work
Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Default your fabric overload

I used to work at a family owned fabric store. Upstairs was all quilting, fleece, some bargain remnants from the lower level (home dec fabs), silks, wedding, ribbons, etc. you know the type of store. Anyway, they sometimes would buy out large quantities of good fabrics at reasonable prices, as long as there was at least 5 yards on a bolt. (if you don't have any bolts, go to your local fabric store and ask them to save bolts for you.) Then find a family store and see if they're interested. In future, don't wash it either, the chemicals that are on it help it keep on the bolt until it's sold, because it's somewhat stiffer, like having been starched. Unfortunately, I live in NH and can't help you out in your area. You might also try listing (with pictures) on Craig's list. I know people that will see a photo of say, 5 pieces together, sometimes with a Quarter on top to show the size of print, listed with total yardage amount, (not of individual pieces, just listed under "goodie bag"), with a price, maybe half off of what the total yardage would be worth to a quilter (or home decorator). Good luck. Maybe this site will be the easiest to sell on anyway, as you know people and have friends here.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM

I just embroidered myself a sign that says: Beware the accursed love of getting! I need to remind myself!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:53 PM

You can't do it all by yourself. You need help and only you can ask for it. If you don't ask, people will not know that you need the help.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:58 PM

I understand how you feel! But you are sure doing a wonderful things for such a worthy cause. Thanks for being a giving person. Don't forget to take care of yourself.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:43 PM

I read through all the responses but didn't see any suggestions about the ironing- there is an ironer that was made by a company called Ironrite - this is an ironer that you sit at that was made to iron sheets and table clothes - it makes short work of ironing long pieces of fabric - and once you get the hang of it its quite fun - where as ironing long pieces on and ironing board is a real pain. look on ebay I have seen them on sale regularly - I have my mothers and I love it - you just have to find someone locally who likes to tinker with old things because they need to be oiled occationally- keep up the good work