Ticks

Old 05-25-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
No problem with ticks, but we have 4 dogs and they have major flea problems. I use Frontline on them, but last month tried Comfortis capsules. That didn't work very well, either. I am now bathing them about every 3 days in flea shampoo. It's gonna be a long summer!
MimiBug123: We have a farm with many many ticks and fleas from all the wild animals. Two years ago my dogs were on Frontline Plus and were loaded with fleas. I had friends that had the same problem. I remembered that when we moved here 24 yrs. ago we had our dogs on an oral pill called "Program" and none of our dogs (5) had any fleas nor did any of our barn cats or house cats (and they weren't on anything). Program is a product that won't kill the flea that gets on the animal, but, will sterilize it so that in a very short time all the animals on the property will not have fleas. However, the only thing is that you have to watch them for ticks because it doesn't do anything for them. When the Boston Terriers were on the Frontiline Plus and still got the fleas my female Boston got flea allergy dermatitis and we had a heck of a time getting the rid of the fleas on the dogs, the cats, and the house. We have fish aquariums so bombing the house was out of the question. I nearly went crazy with the bathing, flea combing the dogs everytime they went out and oh my, the vacuuming of 3 floors everyday until we got it under control. If you are interested in getting the Program Pills, you can get them online at EBay or at Jeffers Pet Supply.com. Jeffers also has an oral product called "Capstar" that kills the fleas almost immediately. You can also get the Capstar from most vets. Good luck, I know what a pain you are going through. Jinnie
Old 05-26-2012, 03:17 AM

Did hubby drop his drawers to pee in the woods? Alert tick must have seen a rare opportunity.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Another very easy way to get them off, is to put a blob of liquid soap onto the tick and cover with a cotton ball. The tick will supposedly withdraw and be attached to the cotton ball. I've never had to try this but have friends who swear it works.
I just saw this recently somewhere it said dish soap..So far knock on wood, we havent had any ticks. But I will most certainly be on the look out. Daisy is on Flea/Tick stuff. And I will start spraying her with essential oil mix before she goes outside too.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:27 AM

The ticks are very bad here in Upstate NY also, but they were bad last fall, so can't just blame the mild winter. I understand the populations are cyclical like with a lot of other icky things in nature.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:38 AM

Default New Knee

If the tick attaches itself to you, rub soap on a cotton ball and rub on the tick and it will come off on the cotton ball. This is particulary a good way to get it off if you can't reach the place with tweezers.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 AM

Good luck to all of ya'll on the eastern seaboard with the tick problem!! So far I haven't seen any here in sunny, hot Texas!!! We probably have too many other critters that feast on the ticks to have a problem with them! ha! I will have to check on that for you and see if I can send whatever it is your way!!! Provided it doesn't sting, stick or bite me!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 03:26 PM

I live in Upstate NY and the ticks are BAD. Bad enough, that the verterinarian has a map on the wall in her office with confirmed cases of Lyme Disease this year---15 so far. I had one on my right breast...lookin in the mirror I said---I never notice a mole there before---eeeeekkkk. Must have been a gift from the dog! Pulled it and went to the Dr; was not a deer tic but had to take medication that made me SOOOO sick.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:17 PM

We were just told the other day out little dog has Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever; massive drugs for the dog. I look online to learn more. Basically it said the only state in the Continent of United States where this fever doesn't exist is in Maine. It's here now. Ticks are bad this year, and the Vet said the ticks that carry RMSF are not seen with the naked eye.

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF) is an important zoonotic disease that may cause clinical signs in both dogs and humans. It is caused by the organism Rickettsia rickettsii, a small gram-negative obligate intracellular parasite from the family Rickettsiaceae. RMSF was first recognized in humans in the western United States during the 1930’s but, despite its name, RMSF is prevalent throughout the contiguous United States with the exception of the state of Maine. Although it has been long identified as a human pathogen, RMSF was not recognized in dogs until the 1970’s.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:09 PM

I keep a jar with some flea & Tick powder in it. If I find a tick I put it into the jar put the lid on and shake it, it kills the tick. I can't squash them their to hard.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:30 PM

This is not good this year.....I've seen quit a few and summer isn't even begun.....I was bitten by a tick and had lyme disease three years ago and had to go on repeated doses of antibiotics. Again last summer I was bitten by a tick got the rash and had to go on antibiotics again. So everyone check carefully. Lyme disease is no fun. Bea