Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes? >

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by cheezythequiltmaker View Post
It sounds to me like you need to be more picky when selcting your classes. You have very specific expectations and sadly it takes longer than most one off classes have to make a finished piece and some homework will always be needed either to catch up if you are a slower worker or to finish off. Even in a course of sessions, homework will be needed to catch up or get to a certain next stage.

Small projects are all very well, but quite a lot of people I find don't want to make small things and want to make something bigger. If I had a penny for everytime someone has turned up at a "small project" class with grand aspirations of scaling up or going bigger.... I now usually give options on my class requirements lists so that learners can choose if they want to make the little tester project/ block or go big. you can only have som many pillow covers and table mats!

At the end of my classes I try and have people go home with at least a completed block, maybe more, and certainly enough information to complete the project. I have several classes where you go home finished the top or pretty close to finished. but a "quilt in a day" is a true falicy for a class.

A LQS often runs classes at a small loss because they know it generates income, but in these hard times, they have to recognise that people will be wanting to use up stuff they have. I am always coming up with projects that will destash all those fat quarters we've been collecting when times were not as hard!!!

It is my experience that people do not want to pay me to be there while they "mass produce" the blocks needed to complete thier project once they have mastered the initail piecing. Classes (one day (6 hours) or one off classes) need to be selfcontained and more technique based where you learn the technique maybe piece a sample block and leave witht he enthusuausm and knowledge to complete the project. A quilting course (a series of shorter classes) can handle a longer term project where you learn cutting, piceing, assembly and setting, layering quilting binding and making labels. But every group is different and some students are more demanding than others and some NEED more help than others. If you don't like a group dynamic you first need to bring your concerns to the attension of the tutor ( or the shop owner who can discuss it with them on your behalf).

The other thing is don't give up on classes for one bad experience. try a different tutor. Everyone of us is different and I have experienced great teachers and terrible teachers. remember being able to teach isn't a given if you are a talented quilter, it takes a different kind of Psyche to nurture and give the best experience to someone in a class. Ask your friend about teachers and go on personal recomendation.

becks
If you are not happy in group classes, consider opting for private lessons. Be those online tutorials or with a real person one on one.
I tend to think I do choose wisely...have taken classes from a LQS, from a school, from an art instructor, etc. I have been a supervisor in my profession for many, many years so speaking up or asking questions has never been an issue of mine and I am always polite and courteous when doing so. I work well independently until I get stumped and then need a quick look from the instructor to tell me what I did wrong so I can continue. And I don't mind if someone says, " Okay. I'll be with you in just a moment." But what I do mind is then waiting 30 minutes while she teaches another student how to thread her machine and untangle her bobbin.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Years ago I took a thread painting class. The instructor was very talented and actually sold her work. However, as a teacher I would rate her a "0"!

[1] She wore perfume or cologne and I am asthmatic. When she got near me I actually started wheezing, so she avoided getting near me.
[2] She didn't address my questions whenever I had one. Of course, I had to speak up since she couldn't get near me.
[3] She did spend much more time on the 1 student who was really gifted and 'got' the idea. Much later 2 other students in the class told me they almost walked out because of this.
[4] Therefore out of a class of 5 there were 3 of us who didn't get the benefit of the teacher's knowledge base.

I did let the owners of the store know what happened and strongly encouraged them to go with a scent free environment. They did make it a policy for all staff to be scent free after this incident.

Much later I realized I should have walked out and asked for my money back rigth away.

Another point: I don't always expect to finish a project during class. I go to learn the technique and get advice. If it is a large project it is OK for me to finish it at home. Now I usually plan on making only a small sample so I don't have another UFO. I can donate the project for the silent auctions at one of of my quilt guilds.

How has this helped me grow; I now state fully what I expect when I sign up for a class. The last class I took for making a shirt I firmly stated I wanted a garment I could wear. I didn'ty buy expensive fabric for the shirt. I told the instructor where my fitting problems were and she measured me and adjusted the pattern before I even started in on working on the shirt. BTW the shirt fit. Now I can make a 'prettyy' one and know it will fit. If it didn't fit I would have asked not only for my class fee back but also compensation for fabric bought. I know the shop owners and they were fullly aware of this before I took the class.

You learn to speak up. Some people are great at doing a process but lousy teachers.

ali

Last edited by AliKat; 07-15-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:21 AM

I have only taken classes at one LQS and I have been very happy with them. One of my very first questions when I get to class is how far I can expect to get in the project. Time at class is limited and I am generally well on my way to completing my project by the time class is over. I love taking classes! I get a chance to learn new techniques and I also enjoy meeting the other 'student's'. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Perhaps you could try again someplace else.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 AM

I wanted to take a class mostly to get out of the house and meet new people (I'm a 28yo stay at home mom) but couldn't find one that worked when dh would be able to be home with the kids. I faqua a modern quilt guild instead that I learn a ton from! Ours has no dues and the ladies are super sweet and so helpful. I took a yarn spinning class once and was so disappointed, so I'm leery of spending big $$ now when I can YouTube what I need to learn.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:42 AM

Yep, well put. I know you are not one to "sit on their hands", that's what I like about you.
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I've taken some great classes and some so-so classes. But I've never taken a class that I didn't get something out of. A whole lot of it has to do with your attitude going into the class. If you're one of those meek, sit at the back and don't ask questions ladies you're probably not ever going to get much out of the classes. I can't tell you how many times I've taken a class with somebody that complains after the class about the whole thing and the main problem was they sat there on their hands and didn't ask questions because "they didn't want to be a bother." The teacher is generally going to think if you're not asking questions, you're not having a problem. If you want the teacher to engage with you then engage with the teacher.

Most classes have handouts before the class so you can see what the project is. You should know before you take the class if you want to make the full class project or only want to learn the pattern, technique, etc. and buy fabric accordingly.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:57 AM

This is why I take the Craftsy classes. They are a minimal cost, and if there is something I can't get the hang of right away, I can rewatch it and pause it or whatever I need to do. Plus, when it comes to quilting, I am not yet very confident, so I don't have that nervousness in a class setting with others. I learn better this way and get more out of the class.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I don't think I have ever finished an object in a class, nor did I expect to. I take classes to learn a new technique, and will finish the item at home. I think every classroom experience has been positive. Some instructors have been better than others, but I've never run into the kind of instructors you have had. I have, however, frequently run into other students who made the class less productive. Most of the time, the class list states that you must bring a sewing machine in good working order and know how to use it. Still someone often shows up without her power cord or foot pedal, or with a new machine she has never used and can't thread. IMHO the instructor shouldn't spend any class time with a student that is unprepared.

Edit: I just remembered - I did have one "bad" instructor. This was a class at Puyallup Expo, and the speaker system in the classroom wasn't working. Many of us couldn't hear the teacher at all. When we brought this to her attention, her response was that she wasn't responsible for the microphone system. She didn't try to speak up, she didn't try to get help from the people responsible for the facilities - she just kept going.

Last edited by dunster; 07-15-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:40 PM

I have only taken 2 quilting classes in my life. The first one was free because I bought my machine there. They failed to inform me of all the supplies that I needed for the class and didn't even have the book available for purchase that the class was centered on! They only had me bring a focal fabric. I then had to purchase background fabric and sashing from them. I put my foot down at buying the binding and backing. This was a 3 part class and I only attended the first one. There was one lady that insisted on personalized attention from the instructor and everybody else was left to figure it out for themselves. Also, the instructor wasn't sewing along with us and she never once got out of her chair to come see if we were doing okay. I hate that dealer/store for more than one reason; I refuse to spend my money in there. I bought my machine about 4 years ago and I have only been in there twice since.

The second class I paid for but it was held at my favorite LQS. The class was small, 6 of us, and it was a FMQ class. I learned alot and feel pretty confident in FMQ smaller items. I have no desire to FMQ a full size or larger quilt!

Most specialty techniques though such as paper piecing and applique, I have taught myself by watching internet videos and reading books. You have every right to be upset by how your class was handled. You tried the classroom route, you didn't like how it was handled, so now you know!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:00 PM

I paid for a class from a community collage there was only 5 of us there and it was for four 3 hr sessions. The teacher show displeasure that we hadn't started sewing our project already She never once gave us a demonstration on technique untill the last class the last 20 minutes she did demonstrate one technique Never again I go to u tube and craftsy lots cheeper and more informative
Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
If I spend $40.00 and up for a class plus, anywhere from $100 to $150 for fabric or supplies, is it not reasonable for me to expect that in addition to learning how to make the quilt, picture, basket, etc. that I would have a usable object when I was finished?
IMO, it depends on what you were "sold" (meaning expectations) when you signed up for the class.

I don't always expect usable objects - because frequently, I don't even like the finished product that was chosen to teach the different techniques/tricks/processes of the class.

You should know what you're getting into before you plunk your $$ down.