Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes? >

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Old 07-15-2012, 06:22 AM

Default Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

If I spend $40.00 and up for a class plus, anywhere from $100 to $150 for fabric or supplies, is it not reasonable for me to expect that in addition to learning how to make the quilt, picture, basket, etc. that I would have a usable object when I was finished? I have run into this with all kind of classes actually....quilting, stained glass, basketry, etc. Either the instructor spends all of her time with one student, with one of her friends who is, also, taking the class, has a lackadaisical attitude or who is primarily only interested in the money they took in initially for the class. Anyone else experienced this? I feel smaller projects should be chosen that requiring minimal supplies to teach the basics that will result in a completed project you can be proud of and which stimulates your desire to learn more. What say you?

Last edited by Wonnie; 07-15-2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: omitted something
Old 07-15-2012, 06:33 AM

maybe I shouldn't post this but why would you want to pay for a class, when you can find several different videos, on line, shot by different people, all making the same block?? if you are not happy with one video, just search for another and when you feel the connection, bookmark it and you can watch it over and over again....all for free!!!! I would so upset if I paid for a class and came out not knowing anymore than when I went in, plus, you don't have a video to re-watch!! just my two cents on classes.....I am sure there are some great teachers out there but you are so right about the money.....sign up a lot of people and then teach the class for one or two students who ''catch on'' to the technique quickly, while the rest just stumble along.....
Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 AM

Your reasons are the ones I will not take classes. I find the instructors tend to have favorites, or just is not very comitted to ensuring everyones success. I took one "class" and and by the second week there was a additional "group" quilt started , that everyone was expected to contribute 2 blocks each week to each member of the class. It was a pattern I never ever would have picked, and the fabric choices some made ...could have used some guidance. To partipate it was an additional $12.00 per week commitment just for this "side project". . I was ready to opt out of this additional add on .. but I was the only one who seemed bothered by it. The first 30 minutes was lost each week to the passing out of these blocks that were not part of the original class. I stopped going it was such a dissappointment... and stopped most of my purchases at that LQS.
I took the class in hopes of learning something new... meeting a few new quilting friends .. and getting some time out of the house. ... I learned that classes are a way to promote sales in the shop, and everything else was a far far second .

Last edited by Lori S; 07-15-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:55 AM

as a quilt teacher, I find that the ones who do not catch on as fast are the one who I give more time to, to make sure that they can do the project we are working on. Each class I have given there are different levels of quilting ability, and I gear the class to that end. The more advanced students may make a full size quilt, while the ones who are just starting out may make a table runner or wall quilt. But I make sure that every one has a finished project when the class is over.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 AM

I've taken some great classes and some so-so classes. But I've never taken a class that I didn't get something out of. A whole lot of it has to do with your attitude going into the class. If you're one of those meek, sit at the back and don't ask questions ladies you're probably not ever going to get much out of the classes. I can't tell you how many times I've taken a class with somebody that complains after the class about the whole thing and the main problem was they sat there on their hands and didn't ask questions because "they didn't want to be a bother." The teacher is generally going to think if you're not asking questions, you're not having a problem. If you want the teacher to engage with you then engage with the teacher.

Most classes have handouts before the class so you can see what the project is. You should know before you take the class if you want to make the full class project or only want to learn the pattern, technique, etc. and buy fabric accordingly.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 AM

My my sister got me into quilting back in 1996, she paid for me to take a class for a salpler type quilt. It was a total waste of time/money & I thought I was teaching the class as she did not take into account the non sewers who were taking the class. Some were still trying to figure out how to thread their machines. There are so many tutorial video's on the Internet now that I can't see the need for taking classes unless it insures the completion of a particular project or is for learning how to use a computerized sewing machine.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:12 AM

I think that I would get better instruction if I would have some specific construction questions on my quilt or blocks and then hired a teacher for an hour or two to teach me what I was having trouble doing. I would get individual instruction on exactly what I was having problems with. I don't need a rah rah support group to finish a project, only instruction when I get stuck.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:21 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've taken some great classes and some not so great classes. The not so great classes are the ones where the teacher doesn't have enough time to teach what needs to be taught so she hurries through everything and leaves everyone scratching their heads at the end. That's when I wish I could get my money back. I took a paper piecing class and it was only 2 hours long (I knew nothing about paper piecing and didn't know 2 hours was not enough) and left with half a project finished and couldn't finish it because I couldn't remember how to finish it.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
If I spend $40.00 and up for a class plus, anywhere from $100 to $150 for fabric or supplies, is it not reasonable for me to expect that in addition to learning how to make the quilt, picture, basket, etc. that I would have a usable object when I was finished? I have run into this with all kind of classes actually....quilting, stained glass, basketry, etc. Either the instructor spends all of her time with one student, with one of her friends who is, also, taking the class, has a lackadaisical attitude or who is primarily only interested in the money they took in initially for the class. Anyone else experienced this? I feel smaller projects should be chosen that requiring minimal supplies to teach the basics that will result in a completed project you can be proud of and which stimulates your desire to learn more. What say you?
It sounds to me like you need to be more picky when selcting your classes. You have very specific expectations and sadly it takes longer than most one off classes have to make a finished piece and some homework will always be needed either to catch up if you are a slower worker or to finish off. Even in a course of sessions, homework will be needed to catch up or get to a certain next stage.

Small projects are all very well, but quite a lot of people I find don't want to make small things and want to make something bigger. If I had a penny for everytime someone has turned up at a "small project" class with grand aspirations of scaling up or going bigger.... I now usually give options on my class requirements lists so that learners can choose if they want to make the little tester project/ block or go big. you can only have som many pillow covers and table mats!

At the end of my classes I try and have people go home with at least a completed block, maybe more, and certainly enough information to complete the project. I have several classes where you go home finished the top or pretty close to finished. but a "quilt in a day" is a true falicy for a class.

A LQS often runs classes at a small loss because they know it generates income, but in these hard times, they have to recognise that people will be wanting to use up stuff they have. I am always coming up with projects that will destash all those fat quarters we've been collecting when times were not as hard!!!

It is my experience that people do not want to pay me to be there while they "mass produce" the blocks needed to complete thier project once they have mastered the initail piecing. Classes (one day (6 hours) or one off classes) need to be selfcontained and more technique based where you learn the technique maybe piece a sample block and leave witht he enthusuausm and knowledge to complete the project. A quilting course (a series of shorter classes) can handle a longer term project where you learn cutting, piceing, assembly and setting, layering quilting binding and making labels. But every group is different and some students are more demanding than others and some NEED more help than others. If you don't like a group dynamic you first need to bring your concerns to the attension of the tutor ( or the shop owner who can discuss it with them on your behalf).

The other thing is don't give up on classes for one bad experience. try a different tutor. Everyone of us is different and I have experienced great teachers and terrible teachers. remember being able to teach isn't a given if you are a talented quilter, it takes a different kind of Psyche to nurture and give the best experience to someone in a class. Ask your friend about teachers and go on personal recomendation.

becks
If you are not happy in group classes, consider opting for private lessons. Be those online tutorials or with a real person one on one.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 AM

I've been the Workshops Chairman of one of my quilt guilds since January and avoiding what you mention is one of the main goals of my teaching. Start the students with something small (from 28x28 to 42x42) to (1) get the technique and (2) be able to finish it quickly after the workshop is over. I select patterns that either have varying sizes included - in a few cases, this called for my creating yardage charts for same block/different size, so that the student could chose the size they were most comfortable working with at their current skill level. Since the patterns I select are also stash-busters, students shouldn't be too out-of-pocket, if at all. When I send out the e-flyer advertising a workshop, I also post photos of the same quilt in different colorways (which almost always makes each of them look like completely different quilts), and as often as possible, photos of the quilt with some individual flair of embellishments, creative borders, and other unique design elements. The main point of my teaching is "see all the things you can do with this pattern?" in a scale that's "UFO-proof" without large cash outlays.

The instructors you speak of need to be "dinged" in a frank conversation with the management who hired her in the first place. Many times we just don't speak up and this kind of "waste" continues. And, truth be told, sometimes nothing can be done because the management is buddies with the instructor. SAY SOMETHING ANYWAY, and keep looking for workshops elsewhere! If there are other guilds in your area, consider joining them after a few visits to meetings to get better instruction. Never "settle" or truncate your own skills growth by letting deficient instructors discourage you. Good luck!