Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes? >

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 AM

I prefer to take classes that don't have a final product. I want to learn the technique, not spend time on the fiddly parts of putting a project together. Then, I can take the technique home and do something with it.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:12 AM

I took one class that I wish I had not.

It was machine embroidery and since my machine was new, I thought I would learn a lot.

We had to purchase a "kit" from the instructor. I had my fabric since I wanted special colors. We could only use the design one time, so wasn't able to use her fabric. I had to borrow a hoop since I didnt have the biggest size. They wanted me to purchase it, close to 200.00. Then if you wanted to make more of the item, you had to purchase the collection at 150.00. This was a sewing machine dealership.

Last time I will make this mistake. I guess I thought we would be able to make more than one, or keep the design.

I have a very expensive item.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

First , taking classes with people, remember them? you meet and make new friends and can take classes with old friends and have fun doing it.

I have experienced bad teachers in very good LQS. One that stickes in my mind was learning how to make the orange peel pattern. a rather complicated patern with a class of 4 people. Lots of PP and curved seams. I think it was a 5 or 6 week class. The teacher expected us to have each section completed for the next class. I thought this was very funny. She was sort of upset that only one of us had the first section done on the first week, the retired one! Each week she showed us the next step and then got caught up in the goings on in the store or doing her own work.
Lucky me I could read instructions.

This quilt which I absolutely love has been a UFO for about 5 years now and has moved onto my to finish list.

I had fun with the girls. We are all about the same age and shared lots of stories. I have never completed a project in any class but did learn the basics and how to do things, lots of tips and funny antics. I was able to take away what I needed to complete the project.

One tip about classes is to never expect the world for 40.00 bucks.

peace
Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 PM

I have taken perhaps a hundred classes from local ones to week long retreats with classes every day (whew). There are only a few that I did not enjoy. I like the people and hearing from instructors about their passion and every time I get a new piece of knowledge to file away for use later.

The best ever class was Sharyn Craig (now retired) who had everyone in class finish a feathered star from template production to sewing in one day. It was a two day class and she was prepared with a class on LeMoyne Star for those who wanted it. She was clear and organized.

The worst class was Roberta Horton who was having a very bad day. I was merrily going my own way in a freeform type of class and she came over several times to be very critical of what I was doing because I wasn't doing it her way. Never mind that I was happy, working and not asking any questions. She was just rude.

I generally dont take any local classes at LQS's anymore since the focus is normally beginner type classes or a new tool. I dont need more tools. Although I am going to sign up for M. Buvia's applique class at a local LQS since she is known as a good instructor and has won national awards with her work. It is pretty spectacular. I should pick up something from her.

I generally take stash for class projects since I am not sure of whether it will be to my taste. I can always make something again if my stash is not "perfect".
Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by jeank View Post
Then if you wanted to make more of the item, you had to purchase the collection at 150.00. This was a sewing machine dealership..
I really want to take classes to expand my abilities with my embroidery machine- but all the ones my dealer offers are project focused. Which means you have to buy the supplies for that specific project, just to learn a technique. And the supplies always include an embroidery design (you can't bring your own) and that design is almost NEVER available on its own, it is part of a collection.

Thankfully, they usually sell a kit of stabilizers in the sizes needed, but sometimes you have to buy full rolls of the different types of stabilizers needed for the project.

In other words- to learn a simple embroidery technique is never less than $100 in supplies, and often twice that.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
If I spend $40.00 and up for a class plus, anywhere from $100 to $150 for fabric or supplies, is it not reasonable for me to expect that in addition to learning how to make the quilt, picture, basket, etc. that I would have a usable object when I was finished? I have run into this with all kind of classes actually....quilting, stained glass, basketry, etc. Either the instructor spends all of her time with one student, with one of her friends who is, also, taking the class, has a lackadaisical attitude or who is primarily only interested in the money they took in initially for the class. Anyone else experienced this? I feel smaller projects should be chosen that requiring minimal supplies to teach the basics that will result in a completed project you can be proud of and which stimulates your desire to learn more. What say you?
My thought is this....you take a class to learn to do something. If, at the end of the class, you have the confidence to take what you have learned and finish at home...then your class was a success. If, however, you don't feel like you were taught or the instructor spent too much time talking/fixing someone's machine/etc., then I would ask for another class free of charge. If you want a small project to take with you, then I would ask the shop up front. Will I finish this in class? In some cases, it is reasonable to expect to finish. Unfortunately, in some...it is not. When we did classes at my shop, if I felt we didn't accomplish enough or got sidetracked...I offered another class free of charge just for those ladies and we would finish up. I never left anyone in a lurch. Sometimes an entire class can divert you from the original topic...i.e. I had a piecing class that all of a sudden wanted a color tutorial. We took the class out into the shop, played with fabric and color...and ended up scheduling a second class. I wasn't comfortable with how much we had gotten done, because it took about an hour out of the class. The big thing is communication. Ask when you sign up....
Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 AM

I've read all the posts thusfar & have some comments. As an instructor, I like to teach something small so that there is a finished project at the end of the session. When I list that it's a class for a "confident beginner", it means you have a working knowledge of your machine & know something about quilting. I've had students that didn't know the first thing about sewing, much less quilting, take those classes. Yes, I had to spend a little more time with them, but when they were through, were much more knowledgeable. I would like to think that if someone were having a problem with what I was teaching, that they would come to me & let me know their concerns so that we may remedy it immediately. I like students who have a mind to think outside the box, so to speak, rather than take everything I say as the only way to do something. I like teaching different techniques & how to apply them in other quilting. I enjoy passing on this information to others to further their knowledge of quilting.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by donnajean View Post
My my sister got me into quilting back in 1996, she paid for me to take a class for a salpler type quilt. It was a total waste of time/money & I thought I was teaching the class as she did not take into account the non sewers who were taking the class. Some were still trying to figure out how to thread their machines. There are so many tutorial video's on the Internet now that I can't see the need for taking classes unless it insures the completion of a particular project or is for learning how to use a computerized sewing machine.
that was NOT the instructors fault, but the shops fault for allowing people to take a class beyond their skill level.
I have taught MANY classes at all levels and always, there would be a "newbie" who signed up because the quilt was pretty, but they had NO clue how to even wind a bobbin on their machine. Those people cause issues that keep the ones who came to learn from getting the FULL enjoyment out of class. Before anyone takes a class they need to know 100% for sure they are up to the skill level of the class....it is easy to bash a teacher who is not here to defend her course of actions, but it is hard to say, "boy, I guess I need more practice before taking a class in 60 degree angles"...or whatever....KNOW your skill level before signing up and you will save money and frustration!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
I've read all the posts thusfar & have some comments. As an instructor, I like to teach something small so that there is a finished project at the end of the session. When I list that it's a class for a "confident beginner", it means you have a working knowledge of your machine & know something about quilting. I've had students that didn't know the first thing about sewing, much less quilting, take those classes. Yes, I had to spend a little more time with them, but when they were through, were much more knowledgeable. I would like to think that if someone were having a problem with what I was teaching, that they would come to me & let me know their concerns so that we may remedy it immediately. I like students who have a mind to think outside the box, so to speak, rather than take everything I say as the only way to do something. I like teaching different techniques & how to apply them in other quilting. I enjoy passing on this information to others to further their knowledge of quilting.
THANK YOU.,..this is why some classes seem so "vague" to students who end up saying they did not "learn" anything. They failed to "think", to listen, and ask questions. Everyone here says "NO QUILT POLICE" but then they take a class and expect the instructor to teach them everything. What happened to the "NO RULES" policy? If you take a class expect to ask questions, that is how you learn a skill. Following orders, won't teach you much! Make a few mistakes and ask the instructor WHY those mistakes happened, that is how you learn how good the instructor really is. I will say, that I have taken classes with TOP national teachers, who seem to have lost themselves to their own fame and think people are only there to SEE them. HA....the names I could drop. I will drop a few good names though...Mark Lipinski, Debbie Maddy, Darcy Ashton, Susan Masters, Carol Doak, Lisa Moore, Judy Neimeyer, Karen Combs, the list goes on! Bottom line, do not dwell on the "FEAR" of taking a class, instead, learn what questions to ask BEFORE you even sign up, Know what will be taught and what is expected from YOU before sign up, Google the teacher/class and see the reviews,,but remember Opinions are just that opinions...until You have tried the class you won't really know what to think about the teacher/class. Learning new things, or new ways to do old things, is such fun..really it is,..IF you are prepared for it. and you are never to old. This weekend I learned to ride a motorcycle! Now I just have to keep practicing so the neighborhood kids/lawns are safe!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
I really want to take classes to expand my abilities with my embroidery machine- but all the ones my dealer offers are project focused. Which means you have to buy the supplies for that specific project, just to learn a technique. And the supplies always include an embroidery design (you can't bring your own) and that design is almost NEVER available on its own, it is part of a collection.

Thankfully, they usually sell a kit of stabilizers in the sizes needed, but sometimes you have to buy full rolls of the different types of stabilizers needed for the project.

In other words- to learn a simple embroidery technique is never less than $100 in supplies, and often twice that.
talk to the shop owner about how you feel. You might not be alone and perhaps she will let you form a "beginners" group that can meet once a month or more to learn about your machines. After all, she wants you happy and using that machine so you will be a steady customer!