Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes? >

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Banned

oh, and one more thing, if you are lucky enough to live in a place where you have even ONE place to take classes, count your blessings. In this town of 70K we have NO fabric/quilt shops and NO place to teach or take classes!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Usually when I take a class I do not expect to have a finished project when I am done with the class. Instead I expect to learn any techniques or tips that will allow me to create the blocks. I then expect to finish the quilt on my own. The only time I would expect to have a completed project is if I was taking a series of classes (once a week or so) whose purpose was to create a finished project (perhaps a sampler quilt).

Last edited by lakekids; 07-17-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 AM

Smile Use your local Quilt Guild

I could not agree more....money lost !!!..... It is hard to say the quality of the current classes is so poor, I do second and third the videos available on line currently they are wonderful, you can replay and replay......So many are free, and/or at a low rate....no need to get dressed and spend money on gas in todays world. I personally watch an awlful lot of PBS showes, don't always like the principals teachining, but can almost always gather something from the show....I record on my DVR,,,,,and can fast forward, repeat, or delete at will......perhaps you will get more from your local quilt guild at a more reasonable cost.....
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 AM

Oh My i may have taken a class with you as I have had the very same situtation... actually a late sign up person did not have any supplies purchased before class and teacher shopped with her... I did not take as many classes at this shop - actually the last one I signed up for - when I arrived I was told that the teacher was out of state --- but so & so in the shop would help us (4 ladies were there) if we had questions.... if I had not alrady been set up to work I would have left. Never signed up for a class again...I use the above mentioned ideas from the board.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Years ago I took a thread painting class. The instructor was very talented and actually sold her work. However, as a teacher I would rate her a "0"!

[1] She wore perfume or cologne and I am asthmatic. When she got near me I actually started wheezing, so she avoided getting near me.
[2] She didn't address my questions whenever I had one. Of course, I had to speak up since she couldn't get near me.
[3] She did spend much more time on the 1 student who was really gifted and 'got' the idea. Much later 2 other students in the class told me they almost walked out because of this.
[4] Therefore out of a class of 5 there were 3 of us who didn't get the benefit of the teacher's knowledge base.

I did let the owners of the store know what happened and strongly encouraged them to go with a scent free environment. They did make it a policy for all staff to be scent free after this incident.

Much later I realized I should have walked out and asked for my money back rigth away.

Another point: I don't always expect to finish a project during class. I go to learn the technique and get advice. If it is a large project it is OK for me to finish it at home. Now I usually plan on making only a small sample so I don't have another UFO. I can donate the project for the silent auctions at one of of my quilt guilds.

How has this helped me grow; I now state fully what I expect when I sign up for a class. The last class I took for making a shirt I firmly stated I wanted a garment I could wear. I didn'ty buy expensive fabric for the shirt. I told the instructor where my fitting problems were and she measured me and adjusted the pattern before I even started in on working on the shirt. BTW the shirt fit. Now I can make a 'prettyy' one and know it will fit. If it didn't fit I would have asked not only for my class fee back but also compensation for fabric bought. I know the shop owners and they were fullly aware of this before I took the class.

You learn to speak up. Some people are great at doing a process but lousy teachers.

ali
Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 AM

I've only taken 3 classes so far at my LQS. The first one taught me that I will never again use that technique. The instructor was fine but I did not bond with the technique that was the main focus of the project. The second class I took with my sis-in-law so we could learn some of the "right" ways to do the basics. It was fun, especially taking the class with a pal. The third class was a demo/lecture which was very helpful, with a blend of new info and stuff I already knew which helped me feel more confident, like I'm going in the right direction and I already knew more than I gave myself credit.

So, all were generally good experiences although the first one had more "live and learn."
Old 07-17-2012, 12:25 PM

I hand quilt and had someone ask me to teach a class on it. I declined because i didn't know how i would do it. This has me thinking - and it sounds like I would have to be specific in what the skill level needed to be prior to coming to the class. That would be to hopefully lay out clear expectations. As the teacher, I would have to be very realistic in how much time something takes. I would have to find a project that can be completed in the time set aside.

Maybe it would have to be a series of classes so that one builds on one another, also allowing for someone to join maybe at Level II instead of Level I...

It is very important to be able to ask the questions so that maybe as a student you're not disappointed.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

I take classes to learn a new technique (or beef up on a so-so technique), to get out of the house, and to get stimulated in the LQS environment. No, half the time I do not have a finished project when I go home. No, I do not always finish the started project, but often I do. Most teachers I've taken classes from offer help outside the class setting to get any quesions answered. Most classes I took have students of varying skill levels and it is hard for the teacher to satisfy all the needs of all the students. I take my classes in stride and just have fun with them.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:56 PM

i signed up for a bom. there was an initial charge of $30 and then all the rest of the blocks are free when you bring the completed block from the previous week to the store when they present the how=to's of the next block. the first month i picked up the fabric for the 1st block, listened to the description of how to make the block, and was given the schedule for the rest of the year. there were close to 3 times as many people as the room would hold, so they added an extra presentation time for the following months. the second month i brought my finished block, and an extra block i had made to add to the quilt to enlarge it. we were told we could certainly do this and there would be a drawing for a fq or something similar for those who went the extra step. at the end of the presentation i asked if we would have the drawing, and was told no, they hadn't got it together, they would do it next month. but they wanted to see what i had made. turns out i had mis-remembered the color scheme and the block i made would be unuseable. no problem for me, but the instructor was very rude about it, choosing to embarrass me in front of the class. stuff happens, i'm a big girl and can blow off rudeness. the third month i came in and they had the seats so close together we were literally cheek to cheek, and a quilter who was easily as big as me sat next to me. total strangers, we chose to laugh at the rubbing thighs closeness, and were reprimanded most severely, before the presentation had even begun. i'm feeling a little less comfortable with the ways of this instructor. during that month i went to the store to pick up some other fabric, unrelated to the bom. i passed the instructor who was showing off some beautiful work she had done, and i complimented her on it. she chose that as her 3rd opportunity to be rude. 3 strikes and you are out! i have gone in on non-presentation days to pick up my block instructions and fabric. i pay every month. one sales person asked me why i don't come to the presentations and i told her of this woman's rudeness. her comment? "oh, she's like that with everyone." can't someone suggest that she is scaring away business? no. so she is either the manager or owner. i have now bought all my sashing, backing and binding from elsewhere. i truly want the basic quilt, so i spend my $6.00 a month for the block and directions, but not 1 penny more. i'm sure she thinks they don't need my money, if she even notices. there are 600 quilters making quilts in this program, so maybe she's right. she'll never know how much i would have contributed to the success of their store, and keeping the jobs of the sales people who are friendly and helpful. in this instance, it is the store that loses, the staff loses, and i lose, too. there are probably several by now who have given up and just don't bother to go. the store is never crowded (except for the monthly presentations i went to) and i'm confident they lose money because of this woman. they sell bernina's, not cheap, and a machine i was exploring if i found a dealer that was good. i ran , not walked, from this store. i've been a teacher for many years and have sat 'on that side of the desk'. and i've worked retail and understand customer service. in this economy there is no room or excuse for alienating customers. i'm generally friendly, up-beat and polite, so i wasn't acting confrontational or obnoxious. the point is. there are people who can not, and should not, be put in front of a store or class. if you have a poor teacher, talk to the owner or staff, or better yet, if you can, the teacher her/himself. and if that does not resolve the issue, vote with your feet, by walking out, and with your money, by not spending it in that shop. hopefully, the store management will see the trend of people walking out and will fix the problem before the store is out of business.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:06 PM

I have taken some classes where the same has happened to me. I guess I don't know how to be a teachers pet or don't ask enough questions. I feel that the teacher should walk around and see how everyone is doing.

Not only are the classes expensive, then you have to pay for rulers, book , etc. So I take very few classes. I simply can't afford them anymore.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM

Quilters should unite and offer to do quilt classes and share their knowledge. A nice place to start is your church.