Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My experience with Glue Basting. >

My experience with Glue Basting.

My experience with Glue Basting.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Roxanne's "Glue Baste It" glue is Elmers. So buy the great tip or first bottle of Glue Baste It, then refil with Elmers. Now is a great time to purchase Elmers School glue, the price will go up after Back to School.
D in TX
I did not know that. And to think I've been spending big bucks for Glue Baste It all this time. This is huge as is this tip. I am starting a new quilt today and will definitely give it a try.
Thank you!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 AM

Great tips. Thanks so much.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks for your post and photos. I've used glue basting only for binding (a la Sharon Schamber), but think that this is a great idea.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:06 AM

Sharon Schamber uses an applicator that has a very tiny tip so a very little do of glue is used and she swears by that method.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 PM

I was off and doing other things all weekend long, and had to go to the dentist today, so I missed this thread until this afternoon. I read all 15 pages and got so many tips from y'all. I make fleece lap throws for anyone in my immediate & extended family that wants one. I put a decorative stitch around the outside to use as a hem, as it dresses up the throw. Then i embroider something personal on the throw. I have experienced the corners being a little "wonky", & the Elmers glue is great to set the corners in place before sewing them. Makes the corners lay squarely & very nicely. I am also have used the glue when bind. But this thread has me thinking. I am going to tackle a king size lone star quilt using Eleanor Burns "Quilt in a Day Radiant Star" design. I am thinking that glue would REALLY help with all those points. Thanks Brenda for starting this thread.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Cheater! I'm gonna tell the quilt police...oh, wait...there are no quilt police around here...ah, so you are safe! LOL... great idea. I used to glue baste my mitered corners & bindings...haven't in awhile. But this will make for a great nine patch for an Irish chain. will actually save time.

One hint...I saw this on youtube...switch the direction you put the pins in...having the point of the pin right at the edge of the fabric's cut edge (instead of having the head of the pin there.

Really like the colors you have here!

Originally Posted by Chicca View Post
Good morning everyone! Yesterday, I began sewing the seams for my Double Irish Chain quilt blocks. I wondered to myself while cutting the fabrics if I would have any problems. Two of the fabrics that I had chosen were very light weight. I am a scrap quilter who has been lucky (thats putting it mildly) enough to have recently been given a retired quilters fabric stash, as she can no longer quilt and her family had no interest. Quite a few pieces of her stash are a very light weight material, but some wonderful colors; so even though, I anticipated some trouble and had never worked with this type before; I cut it with a passion and was excited to see what happened on this "adventure".

Thanks to the board and all of their wonderful tips and beautiful quilt creations and various styles, I have been stepping out of my comfort zone and trying many new things and really focusing on improving my entire quilting experience. Here a while back, I chose to use some tape to mark my 1/4 inch seam line on my Singer; which does work FABULOUSLY. But, being a pinner I have run into issues with my pins and the tape. Nothing pertinent, well at least not until the pin, tape and thin fabric intertwined. LOL. I was ending up with puckers and snags like crazy. By the time I finished the first seam, I knew I had to find a solution.

One of the things I am working at improving is really nice seam lines, you know the ones that actually do line up and meet together so wonderfully. Sitting on the side was my bottle of Elmers Washable School Glue that I have used in applique. I hem hawed at the thought of glueing every seam. But, it was the only thing I could really come up with. So, I gave it a go.

I am sure that it has been mentioned on the board in the past; but I am sorry, I just do not remember for sure...so if I am stepping on toes or anything, please forgive me. I am just so thrilled with the outcome of this method of Glue Basting. For me, it will always be the perfect solution. I just placed a small dot at each seam line, matchine the seams (which was far better than my pinning could ever achieve), place the iron down, press and hold for a few seconds, lift and move down the row.

Wow, instantanious (spelling) super duper results. LOL. It really did not take any longer than pinning and I completed all 17 blocks yesterday. I wanted to share a few photos, that hopefully will demonstrate the accuracy and ease of doing this. Because, really....you have got to try this if you encounter any issues like I did.

Sorry, I carried on forever. Just excited to share my experience and hope that it helps anyone one else facing similiar issues. Thanks again each and every Board Member who posts tips and tutorials, photos and ideas. They really do help!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 PM

Charlene, I had often wondered if light weight inter facing would work with the thin fabric. I'm new to quilting so I didn't know how it would affect the quilting part. So far I've ony machine quilted, but would like to know if it would make hand quilting difficult.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Been busy with "life" today! So am just checking in. But wanted to share a tip that my mother in law pointed out when I was telling her about this post.

She thought it was an excellent idea to glue baste and laughed because she had never thought of it in all of her years of sewing. Then she said, "Would that not have saved me a lot of time and stress when working with Plaids! All, I would have had to do is put a dot of glue on those matching lines and not had to mess with all the slipping and ripping seams to get them to match up. This is a brilliant idea!"

She is so right, when you work with any type of material that you want those sections to line up perfectly, dab a bit of glue and get those pesky sections to stay right together!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jratcliff View Post
I did not know that. And to think I've been spending big bucks for Glue Baste It all this time. This is huge as is this tip. I am starting a new quilt today and will definitely give it a try.
Thank you!
I know I was stunned when I read that earlier. Have a great time creating your quilt and trying the glue basting.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dglvr View Post
Great tips. Thanks so much.
Every tip on this post has been wonderful (in my opinion) and I know I am going to experimenting with them.