Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing right beside sewing machine? >

Ironing right beside sewing machine?

Ironing right beside sewing machine?

Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brazen
Hi all, I have a silly question. I don't remember if I sew mention of this here on the forums, or on someone's quilting blog, but I recall that some people have a set up where they can sew pieces together and have their iron right there with them.

Right now I am sewing and then getting up and walking to the ironing board about every 30-60 seconds!

So I Googled mini iron to see what came up... is this what people mean when they say they use a table side or table top iron right next to their machine?

I can see how it would press JUST the seams, but I like pressing the whole piece each time. LOL!
I chain piece. I can piece miles and miles before I get up to iron. It saves thread too.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:36 PM

I don't, although it would work.

I have a small tabletop ironing board. You get them at places like Walmart :x . They aren't really expensive. I have things set up in a corner. One side is my sewing machine, the other is my iron. I use the actual corner for my cutting mat. (Can't cut big pieces, but smaller things do well there. Also provides a place to lay things out before sewing and in the middle where I sort of lose track of what I'm doing.)

I use an office secretary's chair, casters, adjustable height and back, no arms, and just roll around until I have a larger piece that needs my larger ironing board.

I found a smaller iron at the antique store and my husband fixed the cord and plug. It is really light weight and small enough to get between the seams well. Must be careful though, can get really hot. Also, doesn't steam.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:45 PM

I just use a regular iron. I have read that getting up and down at least keeps your blood circulating. I do have one of the mini irons, they're great for pressing small pieces.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:18 AM

I set my regular size ironing board just behind me and adjust it to a lower height. I use an office type chair that swivels so when I'm ready to iron, I simply turn around in my chair and press. Don't have to stand or get up, makes it sound like I'm sorta lazy, but it does save time. While on the subject of irons and ironing boards, I recently caught my foot in the cord of my iron and knocked it on the floor. It landed right side up on the area rug and left the shape of the iron burnt into it. Not good for polyester blend rugs. To solve that problem, I took a very large safety pin (remember the diaper pins before pampers??) and pinned it to the opposite side of the ironing board. By running the cord through the safety pin it slides when it needs to and keeps the cord away from clumzy me.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:41 AM

I moved my ironing board next to my sewing table. Now I can sit & sew & press , makes it real easy.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 AM

Hello, I tried using one of those Clover irons but kept getting burnt so I bought a 'Euro Steam' mini steam iron and it works great. I have it on a counter top right beside my sewing machine . It is small enough that it doesn't use up too much room but big enough so that I can iron the whole piece.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 AM

I use one of those little portable ironing boards with my regular iron. You'll love how much more efficient it is to have your iron right beside you. As for that little iron, I think it would be tedious to use it for more than just small applique pieces.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:59 AM

I had my ironing station set up right next to my machine, but it was recommended by a teacher that you should have your iron set up in another room or at least where you have to get up. This allows you to move around and eventually prevent back problems. Chain piece as much as you can and then take your items to the ironing board. It also reminds you that you have to go to the bathroom and get something to drink.
Chris from AZ
Old 10-01-2009, 11:15 AM

I sew a batch of blocks/strips and then take the piles to my iron (it's a big Euro-Pro with a water filled base and a steamer). Good chance to stretch my legs and be efficient at the same time. :lol:
Old 10-01-2009, 11:21 AM

I took mine back too - looks like a great idea, but doesn't really work. I figure getting up is good exercise, but there are times when I plug in my smaller iron on a table next to me.