Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on free motion quilting... >

Advice on free motion quilting...

Advice on free motion quilting...

Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM

I agree with those who have said that any DSM can handle quilting. Going through 2 layers of cotton and a layer of batting is nothing compared to sewing Jeans! The quilting in FMQ has more to do with your ability. When you practise a lot, your motion becomes smoother and more intuitive. When your motion is smoother, your stitches look better.
Personally, I wouldn't succumb to the pressure of your "same day sale" deal. There is always another sale, and there is always another deal. $800 is a lot of money, and I think your dealer can come up with just as good a deal later after you've had time to decide what you want to do. Whether you buy it today or next month, they'll still make a profit on it so do what is best to you. IMHO
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 AM

Go to your Bernina dealer - with fabric and batting in hand - and try FMQ with the BSR to see if you like it or not. No one can tell you if you should buy it or not, you need to try it out to see for yourself.

I have the BSR and I use the BSR when I quilt.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:30 AM

I jut got a Brother Pq11500s and LOVE it. I was sewing on a Singer Quilter and it sews nice but was a ** for FMQ. Brothers has a larger throat so that makes it easier. Love the speed of the stitches (1500/min) which makes it easier to do meandering/stippling and get even stitches. It also sew nice for peicing. I bought mine from Amazon for $600 with free shippingh and no tax. Amazon is authorized dealer so I should be able to take it to Brother Authorized sertvice shop. Go to Sewing center and test "sew" differtent machines to see which you like!!!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 AM

I have tested the bsr and have been underwhelmed. I think it's the good price and pull towards cool new technology that makes me want it. I have tested a Janome 1600 and really really liked it. I agree my bernina can handle fmq but I do like the idea of having a dedicated machine for quilting. I bought the bernina with garment sewing in mind. Guess I'm answering my own question! Now I just need to test the brother 1500s and the Juki 2010 to see what I like best. Leaning towards the Juki for speed control even though it's a bit more than the brother.