Flowers in alley.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor View Post
This is a Moon Flower. It will get pods on it. Let them dry out and then plant the seeds. They do well in part shade.
I got a pod last year at a church yard sale. The sweetest like grandma was selling them for 25cents. I planted them this spring and have these beautiful flowers. The blooms don't last long but they are perinials
Datura and Moonflowers are the same thing...they aren't perennials in floral terminology, they reseed themselves. If you want to grow them again, be sure to take a pod and save it for next spring, because depending on the weather, they just either may rot or not germinate come Spring, but if you save a pod for next year, you should have them, no problem. Edie
Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 AM

In Arizona we call it prickly apple because the seed pods are round and have large prickles on them and are the size of small apples.I had more than 50 in bloom 2 nights ago They bloom in the evening and fade in the day.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Looks like morning glory to me. They close at night and open in the morning are invasive hard to get rid of and are related to the night shade family.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM

My guess is Angel Trumpet.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
It looks like an angel trumpet to me.
that is what we call it.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:07 AM

I have done a lot of reading on it - the Datura - and I am not one for pulling out a flower if it is still blooming, but as soon as the last one has bloomed, out they all go. Never again. I have come to the conclusion that they scare me. The seeds are hallucinogenic by ingesting them. There are people in this world that get high on these seeds. I don't want any part of it. Mine are by the alley and anyone walking down the alley can pick them, dry the seeds and have themselves a "Datura party." Have you ever noticed that a plant or whatever you have just learned about and are so pleased with, you find other people have them too and then the kick goes out of it. Now I am wondering "Why do these people have so many Daturas in their yard?" And unfortunately, the joy of the plant is gone. I am scared of it. I don't want anyone picking the seeds and have a "Moonflower party" on the seeds that were in our yard. So, for what it is worth, no more Datura/Moonflower/Jimson Weed/Gypsum Weed/Angel Trumpet for me!!!!!!!!!!!! Edie

PS - for what it is worth, every flower that has bloomed for its short time, I cut it off right at the stem - I don't want the seeds for sowing or for hallucinations.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:52 AM

It is a trumpet! And I have a lovely one, peach on the outside, white on the inside. Grow all year around in Florida.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:22 AM

datura/moon flower/jimson weed - it doesn't matter what you call it, all are extremely poisonous both to people & animals
Old 08-30-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by mycatsmom View Post
Does anyone know the name of this plant my daughter found growing in her alley?

Looks like a "Trumpet Vine"
Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 PM

It looks like a moonflower vine. The flowers open up at night and close when the sun comes up.