Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Displaying a quilt >

Displaying a quilt

Displaying a quilt

Old 08-30-2012, 11:22 AM

Default Displaying a quilt

I have donated a quilt for a local high school football program fundraiser. It will be displayed in various business places and in the stadium at home games. The committee wants to know how to protect it since it will be traveling from place to place. Is there a way to cover it and still have it visible? Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM

I have never seen a covered quilt on display, so I don't even know if it's possible. I have seen many hung at a height beyond reach of viewers hands, however, if that's any help...or behind a rope or something.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:59 AM

A group I am in has made two quilts to raffle off for fundraisers and we took them to various meetings to show and sell tickets. The quilts always traveled in a clear zipper bag like blankets come in. Then, when it was on display, it was draped over a laundry drying rack with a clear plastic drop cloth over it to keep it from getting dirty from hands touching it. When displayed on the rack, it was folded so it would not touch the ground and clothspins or binder clips kept the cover in place. This worked for us. Kudos to you for your donation!

Last edited by Skyangel; 08-30-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Quilts are best stored in cotton bags like pillowcases. You can make them so they fold over the end and can be tied or buttoned. Or you could roll the quilt to help prevent fold wrinkles and put into a long fabric tube made long enough to tie at the end.

Jan in VA
Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
A group I am in has made two quilts to raffle off for fundraisers and we took them to various meetings to show and sell tickets. The quilts always traveled in a clear zipper bag like blankets come in. Then, when it was on display, it was draped over a laundry drying rack with a clear plastic drop cloth over it to keep it from getting dirty from hands touching it. When displayed on the rack, it was folded so it would not touch the ground and clothspins or binder clips kept the cover in place. This worked for us. Kudos to you for your donation!
I agree, a clear plastic drop cloth on front and back of quilt should keep it clean. The quilt won't be stored in the plastic, it should only be in the plastic long enough to display it.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:46 AM

Some other things to consider...

You might not sell as many raffle tickets if potential buyers cannot see the quilt 'up close and personal' before buying...front and back, not obscured by plastic in any way. They don't have to touch it in order to see it.

Choose the places of display with some forethought...keep it out of pizza parlors, bars, and such, where the odds of damage would be increased. It should be made clear to the participating businesses that THEY are responsible for the quilt's safety while it's in their establishment.

Make sure the FTC label (or a copy) is visible to potential tickets buyers (and, btw, make sure the quilt HAS an FTC label). http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...-and-wool-acts
Old 08-31-2012, 04:52 AM

I went to a national park and they had some quilts on display and they were covered with plastic. Not encased just a cover. One of those things where it's a gamble on what could happen
Old 08-31-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
Ditto!! I use the plastic bags for traveling purposes. Then you can find all sorts of things to hang them on. Banisters, racks, ladders, rails..... clothesline twine, rope stretched from one point to another.